Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Here ya go. Only $29.99/acre. Plenty of water for those times when you're feeling a little parched. Bring your own extraction/processing system. I'd suggest setting up a nice little lunar cabin facing the Earth for a scenic view of the land and oceans.

Purchase Moon Land - Authorized Lunar Embassy Agent
I've read some articles on this...it appears "legit" to a point...but we all know GOVERNMENTS will control any outcome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Knowing my luck, I'd inadvertently buy a plot on the dark side of the moon.
Think of the residuals you would have gotten for Pink Floyd's album title...plus it is a great classic album.... . One of the BEST!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Haha, I know this isn't a serious debate, but there's no such thing. The Moon rotates at the same rate as it orbits the Earth. Your days are one lunar month long, as are your nights. You could buy a plot on the non-earth-facing side.

You would never get to see the Earth from your land, but you'd have a great view of the stars, and no radio interference from the Earth if you wanted to do some radiotelescopicry (is that even a word?).

I suppose you could end up with a plot in a permanently-shadowed crater near the poles, but thats where the water is, so you'd be one rich little lunar prospector. Uh, assuming anyone else ever decides they want to live/work/build there.

</nerd>
I'm not so sure about that...as you mention...you are correct but IF I am not mistaken that is precisely why only one side of the moon faces us...we still loose ALL communications with any orbiters as they orbit the "dark side". Far side of the Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you are incorrect...sorry and this is a somewhat serious conversation...but while having some fun and adding some levity... There is a dark side of the moon!. . And an album too!...LOL PS..WE found 25 gallons of water during impact!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Haha, I know this isn't a serious debate, but there's no such thing. The Moon rotates at the same rate as it orbits the Earth. Your days are one lunar month long, as are your nights. You could buy a plot on the non-earth-facing side.

You would never get to see the Earth from your land, but you'd have a great view of the stars, and no radio interference from the Earth if you wanted to do some radiotelescopicry (is that even a word?).

I suppose you could end up with a plot in a permanently-shadowed crater near the poles, but thats where the water is, so you'd be one rich little lunar prospector. Uh, assuming anyone else ever decides they want to live/work/build there.

</nerd>
Yeah, after I posted I realized that my biggest loss would just be not seeing the Earth.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, after I posted I realized that my biggest loss would just be not seeing the Earth.
Easy to make mistake...but I was so impressed with Sponges explanation; until I realized that is the reason the moon really has a dark side; hope he understands now.....

Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm not so sure about that...as you mention...you are correct but IF I am not mistaken that is precisely why only one side of the moon faces us...we still loose ALL communications with any orbiters as they orbit the "dark side". Far side of the Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you are incorrect...sorry and this is a somewhat serious conversation...but while having some fun and adding some levity... There is a dark side of the moon!. . And an album too!...LOL PS..WE found 25 gallons of water during impact!
Uh, it's exactly as I stated. I am not incorrect. There is no part of the moon which is always in darkness. There is only a "Far Side" of the Moon which always faces away from the Earth.

You will see the Sun on the far side of the Moon, just never the Earth as the two bodies are tidally locked so that the Moon's period of rotation is equal to it's period of revolution about the Earth.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Uh, it's exactly as I stated. I am not incorrect. There is no part of the moon which is always in darkness. There is only a "Far Side" of the Moon which always faces away from the Earth.

You will see the Sun on the far side of the Moon, just never the Earth as the two bodies are tidally locked so that the Moon's period of rotation is equal to it's period of revolution about the Earth.
The "coloquial" term which we are all using; is that the dark side of the moon...means the side that always faces away from the Earth...hence the name. HERE IS THE LINK>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Moon . We acknowledge your eloquent explanation in your earlier post IS CORRECT...just a wrong conclusion...maybe because we "think/see" things differently?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Conclusive proof that there is water on our Moon! . Moon crash works - there is water there | Science News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20091113/SCIENCE-US-SPACE-MOON-WATER/ - broken link) YEAH!!!
Please.

They could have announced that they had discovered a Banana Smoothie and we couldn't prove otherwise.

The way to get FUNDING for your business is to show "conclusive proof" that you have discovered something important, whether it is true or not. You can pay off anyone to say anything, haven't you heard?

Besides, who cares, and what difference does it make? More money in NASA's pocket - big deal.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Please.

They could have announced that they had discovered a Banana Smoothie and we couldn't prove otherwise.

The way to get FUNDING for your business is to show "conclusive proof" that you have discovered something important, whether it is true or not. You can pay off anyone to say anything, haven't you heard?

Besides, who cares, and what difference does it make? More money in NASA's pocket - big deal.

20yrsinBranson
GET UP ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED THIS MORNING OR SOMETHING???? I'LL SCOOP UP THE 25 GALLONS OF WATER>>>AND WE ALL CAN GUESS WHAT TO DO WITH IT! HAVE A NICE NIGHT!. . BTW..There's a little scientific concept...called: mass spectrometry....... absolute proof of the presence of certain elements!!! http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...8/Space-probes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem_mass_spectrometry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry http://www.answers.com/topic/mass-spectrometry .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 11-29-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
I guess when they find 25000 gallons , it will bear semblance in more minds. Bad part about it , I saw a post on here inquiring whether or not NASA should be disbanded. Maybe following such a farce , when the time is nigh for another sizeable impactor to ring the bell , they can 'speculate' whether or not it really is a 'falling star'!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space