Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,829 times

Advertisements

There was some book on the subject that said a race of giants lived on this planet that came close to Earth every thousand or so years. That Goliath in the Bible was one of them and so forth. Be cool if it was real, not cool that if it is then it could mean doom to most of us from either it hitting Earth or causing something to happen to the sun and causing the Earth to burn up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:01 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Do you think in a world where the commander-in-chief can't cheat on his wife without the whole world eventually finding out that the government would be able to keep secret a huge planetary body hurtling toward Earth? Do you think that if some sinister force out there could keep this all secret that they'd then allow a secret handful of untrained, conspiracy-minded, and otherwise unoccupied group of amateurs to discover the real truth?

You're welcome to believe what you want--and frankly I'd be pretty impressed by any conspiracy that shows such a sense of humor, but I'm going to stick to things that have openly available scientific evidence. The world is full of enough mysterious beauty as it is.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Nibiru is a hoax created from the fables of an ancient culture.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
There is a link on the web to where you can see this planet/star in Google Earth but once it was posted Google put a big black square on the location o.O.
I think the black box is strange too, and when I was still wondering myself if this thing is real or not, I looked at that as "for" evidence.

However I believe that Nibiru is not real in the end. For the reasons I posted earlier, as well as others, such as why would such a large object have such a hugely elliptical orbit around the sun? Unless it was a captured object, it should have an orbit similar to that of the other large bodies of the solar system.

Even if it were a captured object at first pass, however, how is it not ejected from the solar system? I mean it comes, supposedly, at its closest to the sun every 3600 years. So close to the sun it comes that it is in the inner solar system, and at least as close as Earth's orbit. So then where does it go the rest of the time? It would have to go very far out to hide, beyond the orbit of Pluto. If it's being launched from near Earth orbit to beyond the orbit of Pluto (and much farther than that, even, to be gone for soooooooo long!) at fast speeds, then it seems it should just be ejected.

Plus there seems to be no evidence of it disturbing any of the outer planets (nor any other of the bodies out there) as it passes by them towards us with its gravitational pull.

Just can't see how this thing is real.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I personally think it's not real. If anything as big as a planet or another star (red dwarf as I've heard) were hurtling for us quickly enough to be here by the end of 2012, it would be plainly visible to the naked eye by now and would have been being tracked by amateur astronomers through their telescopes in their back yards all over the world for years.
Meant to saw brown dwarf in this post, btw, not red dwarf. (Seems there is a limit on editing time here or I would have fixed it via edit.)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
There was some book on the subject that said a race of giants lived on this planet that came close to Earth every thousand or so years. That Goliath in the Bible was one of them and so forth. Be cool if it was real, not cool that if it is then it could mean doom to most of us from either it hitting Earth or causing something to happen to the sun and causing the Earth to burn up.
I think the polar shift is the most worrisome aspect. Especially for folks living in equatorial locations.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think the polar shift is the most worrisome aspect. Especially for folks living in equatorial locations.

20yrsinBranson
The Earth would not literally roll over on itself, polar shift refers solely to a shift in the magnetic poles. The physical orientation of the Earth would remain the same.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
There is, however, something as of yet unseen and very large lurking beyond the orbit of Pluto, near the Oort Cloud. Or so it is believed. But that is very, very, very, very, very, etc. far away.
But.. it depends on just how swiftly it is moving towards us, doesn't it.

Basically, we can only hope that we do not get a direct hit or even a near miss. Hoping that NASA will be able to deflect or shatter anything much bigger than a double-decker bus is really wishful thinking. An object coming directly at you is notoriously difficult to hit and it would need an enormous amount of energy to alter the path of a huge planetary body heading our way. Plus, we would need a fair amount of notice to get our defences mobilised.

"Oops, there's an ateroid/planet headed our way. Quick, now where's that mega missile I was saving for just such an occasion."

No, I think we have to live our life as if we are glad for the time we have, and when the end comes, we have to accept it gracefully and in peace.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 AM

Like I said though, it would be visible and tracked by people all over the world by now if it were so close to reach us by the end of 2012.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 AM

589 posts, read 1,559,661 times
According to the leaks from NASA insiders, the brown dwarf is coming into our solar system from the south so it is not visible to telescopes located outside of the southern hemisphere. Even in the south, one needs to use a heat detecting infra-red telescope to see it. Notice NASA maintains an infra-red station in Antartica specifically to track this star.

South Pole Telescope (SPT) — America’s New Planet X Tracker (Page 1 of 4)

The brown dwarf was actually discovered in 1983, see the press release, but within days it was withdrawn and they have remained silent ever since.

Washington Post December 30, 1983
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space