Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm glad this isn't in the Religion forum. It's a good read read except for the teenager stuff and I'd never get to hear others opinions on the subject if it was since I never (almost never) go to the RF. Heaven forbid I should put forth an idea that wasn't copacetic with someone else's religious views in that cesspool.

As an agnostic (more or less) I find the OP interesting. Wouldn't it be a hoot if "God" showed up next week and told us it was pretty much an accurate assessment? I'd appreciate it if "God" turned out to be a woman, but I doubt it. Only a man could screw things up so badly.
Sexist statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sexist statement.
So? How many women generals has there been during all the wars mankind has fought?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
God created the universe in six days. Science says it took 15 billion years. How to reconcile those numbers? If you're Gerald Schroeder, the answer is simple: Do the math.
The math, however, is not so simple.
Schroeder is a physicist and biblical scholar who teaches at the College of Jewish Studies in Jerusalem. He's one of several scientists trying to reconcile the ancient writings of the Bible with science, starting with the big one: Did God create the universe in six days, resting on the seventh? Or was it born in a fiery "big bang" billions of years ago?
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," reads the story of creation described in Genesis, the first book of the Bible. Schroeder, who earned two Ph.D.s from MIT, says those opening chapters are descriptions of the big bang itself. They are, as he says, "identical realities."
His thesis hinges on the fact that time is not a constant: It's relative, at least according to Albert Einstein. Schroeder insists that the biblical calendar begins with the appearance of Adam on the sixth day, not with the creation of the world. "Relativity," he says, "has proven the flexibility of time during those six pre-Adam days of Genesis."

FOXNews.com - Science vs. the Bible: Reconciling Genesis and the Big Bang
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will go to such extreme lengths to fit a square peg in a round hole. Isn't it far more likely Genesis is a made up traditional story? But instead, we try to figure out how to make time go faster and slower to make the story fit the facts?

Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will go to such extreme lengths to fit a square peg in a round hole. Isn't it far more likely Genesis is a made up traditional story? But instead, we try to figure out how to make time go faster and slower to make the story fit the facts?
Probably the best response yet.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Got facts or evidence that prove the universe just came to be without a creator? If not then just say "I don't know" and be silent.
Got facts or evidence that prove the universe just came to be with a creator? If not then just say "I don't know" and be silent.

This cuts both ways, and a book of fables, is not evidence, it's a collection of fables

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 17,732 times
I find this conversation interesting. I hope you will indulge me rendering a thought.
If God created the universe in six days and rested. He must have been working. Otherwise there would have been no need to rest. Therefore he must not have the power the Christians attribute to him.

In Genesis, God told Adam and Eve that if they ate the fruit of knowledge, in that day, they would surly die. They didn't

Satan told them they would not die but would know the difference between right and wrong. They did!

God was talking to someone when he said " Behold man has become as one of us" to know the difference between right and wrong and unless we banish him he will also eat of the tree of life and live forever (or something very close).

How many Gods are there? Why do we need the ten Commandments if we already know the difference between right and wrong? Is there a fruit that gives eternal life? How was Adam and Eve to know that to disobey God was wrong BEFORE they ate the fruit?

The Bible goes on to say that the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were fair and took them s wives. Jesus cannot be the only son.

What a confusing and crazy book to try to live by. These questions are just too numerous for a thinking person to accept.

When Joseph and Mary left the city after the census, they traveled for almost a day before they realized that Jesus was not with them. Don't sound like good parents to me. I would have know where my child(ren) were and I believe most parents would have known.

Evolution is proven every day. Diseases caused by germs and such, develop immunities to the antibodies and Dr's have to change the treatment to kill the disease. The Bible says that Jesus said whenever two people come together and agree on anything, in my name I shall grant it. Can we not find two Christians who would come together in jesus' name and agree to end hunger, cancer, disease, war, poverty, suffering and so on, on the earth?

Last edited by Waccamaw; 06-11-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waccamaw View Post
I find this conversation interesting. I hope you will indulge me rendering a thought.
If God created the universe in six days and rested. He must have been working. Otherwise there would have been no need to rest. Therefore he must not have the power the Christians attribute to him.

In Genesis, God told Adam and Eve that if they ate the fruit of knowledge, in that day, they would surly die. They didn't

Satan told them they would not die but would know the difference between right and wrong. They did!

God was talking to someone when he said " Behold man has become as one of us" to know the difference between right and wrong and unless we banish him he will also eat of the tree of life and live forever (or something very close).

How many Gods are there? Why do we need the ten Commandments if we already know the difference between right and wrong? Is there a fruit that gives eternal life? How was Adam and Eve to know that to disobey God was wrong BEFORE they ate the fruit?

The Bible goes on to say that the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were fair and took them s wives. Jesus cannot be the only son.

What a confusing and crazy book to try to live by. These questions are just too numerous for a thinking person to accept.

When Joseph and Mary left the city after the census, they traveled for almost a day before they realized that Jesus was not with them. Don't sound like good parents to me. I would have know where my child(ren) were and I believe most parents would have known.

Evolution is proven every day. Diseases caused by germs and such, develop immunities to the antibodies and Dr's have to change the treatment to kill the disease. The Bible says that Jesus said whenever two people come together and agree on anything, in my name I shall grant it. Can we not find two Christians who would come together in jesus' name and agree to end hunger, cancer, disease, war, poverty, suffering and so on, on the earth?
This post is rational thinking applied to delusional irrational beliefs. If from birth you told a child that 2+2 = 5 then, when that kid was an adult he will insist in the face of all reason, that 4+4 = 10.

The power of brainwashing.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 PM

I guess I am awed at folks who refuse to see the obvious. Prayer in school is another example. There has never been a law banning prayer in school. Any child any time may pray. There is no law against it.

The law does ban teachers and officials leading the child in prayer. Christians are livid about it. It seems to me that since the school cannot discriminate against a prospective teacher based upon his/her religious beliefs it is very conceivable that a Satanist or Muslim could be hired as a teacher.

I wonder if they would be as accepting of official prayer if a Satanist teacher led their child in prayer to Satin. They live in a world of their own and spread a lie to defend the ultimate truth. It just baffles me!

However, Jesus did say that they can see the speck in my eye and not the beam in theirs.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 AM

Where are all of the defenders of Christianity? I want to hear your views.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
1 - Many (in fact the majority of) Christians do not believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible, so there is no conflict between scientific evidence of creation and the Bible. I know the religion/Christian haters don't want to hear that but sorry it's reality. Actually I think most Jews feel similar for that matter, but not as up on that generally.

2 - I've seen worse, but given that this is digressing into a snarky religion bash-fest (and let's face it, that was a given), this really should be in the Religion forum, where the spitting can continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space