Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waccamaw View Post
If the universe is infinite then, the number of planets that exist is also infinite,
This isn't necessarily true. It is possible to have an infinite universe and a finite number of planets (at any one time).

Quote:
There are some things that simply are, if the universe is infinite.....

Therefore, God is a reality.
You lost me. You wrote a few sentences and then concluded god is a reality.

Quote:

But, somewhere on some planet there is a being that has the intellect to do things we would think magic.
How do you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 AM

12 posts, read 17,732 times
This isn't necessarily true. It is possible to have an infinite universe and a finite number of planets (at any one time).

I disagree! Infinite means never ending and never beginning. Its like the saying "if you have enough money Ford will build you a Chevrolet". Enough is always enough and therefore, if it never ends neither does the possibilities, and that would necessarily work in both directions, past and future.

God is because my definition of God is different than yours!

I don't know! I suppose! I admit that I don't know! But I believe my reasoning is sound. If you have an argument that might alter my reasoning, give it.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
It is interesting that a city-data poster is certain it is impossible to have a finite number of planets.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Atheists don't hate something that doesn't have any evidence of existence. Some atheists view those who are spiritual as having a mental illness.
There is no place for calling people who don't agree with you names. It's childish and, factually incorrect.

People with mental illness are ones who are capable of harming themselves or others. Such people are usually confined to mental hospitals and treated. Now I am pretty sure some of your neighbors are religious people. Do they appear to be capable of harming themselves, their family, or you?

Calling people who don't agree with you names is not the way to do it.

This is a piece of US paper currency with the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" printed on it. Reflect on that for a moment.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5/davidtr1/IMG_5003.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by davidt1; 06-13-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM

185 posts, read 404,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
There is no place for calling people who don't agree with you names. It's childish and, factually incorrect.

People with mental illness are ones who are capable of harming themselves or others. Such people are usually confined to mental hospitals and treated. Now I am pretty sure some of your neighbors are religious people. Do they appear to be capable of harming themselves, their family, or you?

Calling people who don't agree with you names is not the way to do it.

This is a piece of US paper currency with the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" printed on it. Reflect on that for a moment.
Wow!!! Rarely does one get to see someone, not only miss the boat, but also fall off the pier and drown in the sea of logic.

You might want to read up some common logical fallacies before sticking your foot in your mouth. That way you won't come across as such a clueless...

Fallacies

Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM

12 posts, read 17,732 times
I must be missing something. The flow of conversation is not as my mind thinks it should be. Did someone referred to as "a city data poster" state that it is impossible for there to be an infinite number of planets? I didn't see it.

Also I don't see where Charles called anyone a name. Bring me up on these issues, please, so I will understand.

The photo of the one hundred dollar bill with the words "In God We Trust" on it, I believe proves how disingenuous we Americans are.

A couple of weeks ago a group of Witnesses came to my house and we talked for a few moments. The discussion reverted to politics and in the conversation I found out that they (Witnesses) don't vote in elections. They depend on God to do what is right for the country.

My problem is that one of them drove the car to my house.

I wonder what is the dividing point. At what point do they leave it to God? Apparently they don't trust him to drive their car(if they did they could all get in the back seat and just let God take them wherever he sees the need); However, they trust him to run the country.

If the Christians believe that when they die they will wake up in Heaven living a life of bliss, why are they not ready to go? let one get cancer and see if they want to go. Cancer brings prayer. Not that they leave, but that they be cured of the disease. They, even with their trust in God, seek the best in medical care. God would not need medicine. I seriously doubt that those espousing faith and trust, really have it.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Wow!!! Rarely does one get to see someone, not only miss the boat, but also fall off the pier and drown in the sea of logic.

You might want to read up some common logical fallacies before sticking your foot in your mouth. That way you won't come across as such a clueless...

Fallacies
You are the one who is clueless. Go learn something before you stick your foot in your mouth.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-13-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You are the one who is clueless. Go learn something before you stick your d*ck in your mouth.
If you can't be grown up enough to not post this type of filth we would all appreciate your finding a different place to spend your time...

Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Fine! Post edited! I didn't start the name calling.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM

185 posts, read 404,438 times
No one called you a name; merely pointing out that you are clueless, ignorant of logic, and construct vacuous arguments.

Those, sir, are points of fact clearly born out in the discussion. Take the time to read some of the logical errors in the link that I provided, then re-read your post #54; see the gaping holes in logic, now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space