U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,046,208 times

Advertisements

Millionaire's test rocket reaches orbit on 1st try - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100604/ap_on_hi_te/us_test_rocket - broken link)

Congratulations SpaceX, nice work!

Does anyone have any numbers to compare the cost per lb of a Falcon launch to one of the government-sponsored EELV's from Boeing or LM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:39 PM

33,962 posts, read 17,375,015 times
Default Excellent news.

Sounds like they really have their stuff together.

They abandoned an earlier lift-of after engine ignition, then proceeded to launch 90 minutes later. That's pretty impressive.

I don't have the LEO costs anywhere, but from what I've read, the entire development of Falcon 9 - the Kestrels, the Merlins, everything - clocks in at roughly $400 million. Which is $50 million less than the single Ares-1x demonstration launch. Pretty good.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM

33,962 posts, read 17,375,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Does anyone have any numbers to compare the cost per lb of a Falcon launch to one of the government-sponsored EELV's from Boeing or LM?
On further reading, it appears that the numbers for Atlas and Delta launches are clouded in secrecy - unlike SpaceX, who has listed the price right on their website: $51.5 million for 4680 kg to geosynchronous transfer orbit, payment plan available, modest discounts for repeat business, please download the paylod user manual - I am not making this up, they're perfectly up-front with everything.

The general feel, however, appears to be that SpaceX is at about 50%, possibly lower.

The more I read of this launch, the more I'm impressed. The payload (a mock-up Dragon capsule) is within 1% of the desired orbit and will remain in orbit for about a year. This was the first flight of the 2nd stage and the first time they fired the 2nd stage engine (Merlin Vacuum) - and it worked.

The entire thing is designed to be man-rated according to NASAs standards from the word go. That's damn fine work. And to think they're local. I wonder if they need a good network engineer...

Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,046,208 times
I would guess that with this success and NASA's new directive, SpaceX will probably be hiring like madmen, hopefully for years to come.

I hafta admit, I chuckled when they put the Falcon I in the drink 3 times in a row, but I was really rooting for a success with the 9. I don't know if they're really ready to fly astronauts on a cluster of 9 new engines, but so long as they have a solid abort system/scheme...

Aren't they the ones founded by the PayPal guy?

Thanks for doing some legwork that I was too lazy for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or