U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,950,488 times

Advertisements

It seems that with funding cuts, the people with DD are being hard hit. Right now, my adult son has funding in Kansas and I desperately would like to be almost anywhere else but I know that many states have long, long waiting lists and we have done the wait. Current time to wait for services (DD waiver) in Kansas is 3 to 4 years. I am thinking that I will get on the phone/internet and start contacting some of the states to see what the situation is there. We have had so many problems here because of the lack of a good work ethic. Is it normal that the services aren't very good? I don't think that money is the primary issue - you can get good and caring people or you can't - seems they can't! I keep hearing how far things have came but I seen what they were like in the 70's in Michigan and here in Kansas, I don't see that they have made much progress. Michigan is going to be the first place I contact but I know the state has severe money problems. I did not know this would be so hard and thought at some point my son would be able to move out of the house and my care but I need competent caregivers! Any ideas? I have been through all the complaint processes but they all stick together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,291,136 times
I don't know about their funding currently, but I have heard good things about North Carolina and Vermont. I wish I could provide evidence as to why, but maybe their sites provide insight? :

NC MHDDSAS: Developmental Disabilities (http://www.dhhs.state.nc.us/mhddsas/developmentaldisabilities/index.htm - broken link)

The good things I have heard about NC are for ADULTS.

Developmental Disability Services — Division of Disability and Aging Services

I read someone else's post, it may be New Hampshire , not Vermont, that I have heard good things about ;-) :

http://www.dhhs.state.nh.us/DHHS/BDS/default.htm (broken link)

Last edited by aspiesmom; 07-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Correcting my post

Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks. We actually lived in NC years ago and our older son is returning there next year so wouldn't be bad to check it out anyway.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,744,703 times
What type of services do you need? CA has regional centers that provide services:Directory of Regional Centers

Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM

It is not so much the services as the availability of funding for the programs. I just pulled my son out of the day center here because of an incident which his case manager has reported to Adult Protective Services. I just think at his functioning level that services probably always are bad.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,744,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It is not so much the services as the availability of funding for the programs. I just pulled my son out of the day center here because of an incident which his case manager has reported to Adult Protective Services. I just think at his functioning level that services probably always are bad.
That is too bad. CA has cut alot of services for the developmentally disabled, but so far the adult day care is still intact, at least for now. The regional centers in CA do have some good services for adults.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
California has great services. My son is turning 7 and has had services all his life except a brief time while get re-approved after turning 3. He is approved under developmental disability. Once you sign a medicaid waiver you can get everything from insurance to IHSS, to WIC until age 5, respite, etc. Regional center is good to for behavioral therapy.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,042,673 times
I'm still wondering why the developmentally delayed became the problem of the states.

It makes me sick that you are discussing from which states you can get the most for the tax payers' buck.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM

16,019 posts, read 17,806,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I'm still wondering why the developmentally delayed became the problem of the states.

It makes me sick that you are discussing from which states you can get the most money or can do the most for you.
If the laws were uniform, then it would not be a problem.

Every state should provide services and they should be appropriate to the particular person and the particular disability. It should not be dependent upon where you live, but right now it is.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,042,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If the laws were uniform, then it would not be a problem.

Every state should provide services and they should be appropriate to the particular person and the particular disability. It should not be dependent upon where you live, but right now it is.
You completely misunderstood my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children