Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 PM

13 posts, read 36,078 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I really need help. My 6 year old son, who is now in a psychiatric hospital (has been there for a week), is really in a bad way. He's stimming like crazy, can't stay still for a second, hitting people and things - just out of control. He's been on Tenex (made him too manic), risperdal (great in the beginning but started having those bad side effects), abilify and zyprexa (was also manic, couldn't stop moving), lexapro (also manic) and now he's on ritalin and he's just getting worse. Off the meds he's also manic (so please don't tell me to take him off meds - at least not in a lecturing, "holier than thou way" like I haven't thought of that myself)

I love this boy and want him back. We upped his abilify a few months ago because he wouldn't stop picking at his face and hands - causing open wounds everywhere (he looked like he had the chicken pox). That's when the trouble started. But when I take him off everything nothing improves. He's in the hospital because I couldn't restrain him anymore - getting to be too big for me. But he's stimming there worse than ever. They want to keep him on ritalin for a few more days, but I don't know.

They are going to try seroquel. Since he had such a good reaction on the risperdal, I'm going to try it. Although everything we do just seems to make things worse. HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
I am really sorry the Abilify is not working for your son, I think it is a "miracle" drug for Asperger's (my son is autistic spectrum too) for stabilization. My son is on Flouxetine also (generic Prozac), so could it be your son needs both the stabilizer AND the depression meds in combination every day as well? Also what works for my son to sleep at night is over-the-counter Melatonin, amazing how well it works with autistic spectrum if taken early enough in the evening! I buy a bottle of the Melatonin for about 5 bucks every three months !!! The Melatonin saved me from putting him in a sleep-disorder-clinic. I also give him lots of Vitamin B complex foods (for his nerves).

PS Of course, some of these meds are for adults only, so I do not know which ones have adverse reactions for minors or not. Read the MEDS INSERTS carefully, I don't think the medical professionals know offhand which meds should or should not be given to minors!

Last edited by aspiesmom; 07-02-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Adding disclaimer about meds for adults vs minors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children