Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
If you're that worried don't have a child. I know several people who have no one with autism in their family, yet their child has autism. Personally I think it would be your loss. There are a lot worse things a child can have than autism.
I understand that there are a lot worse things which could happen than Autism. I was just...I dont know, if there is anything I can do to prevent it, I would like to do. Thats why I was asking. Thank you spazkat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcularBeauty View Post
I have Three children both of my boys are on the spectrum. My siblings children are normal. That being said their is no way of knowing how your children will turn out. You have to know that you are ok with having a child weather they have a condition or not. If you are not ready to accept that maybe it is not the right time to have children yet. Children come with no warranty and anything can and will happen. I wish you the best with your decision.
Thanks OculatrBeauty. I was hoping there is a way to know how my children wil turn out. If there is none, I guess there is nothing in my hands right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
My point was that you just don't know...if you are that scared about the possibility, then don't have kids. Easy answer.
firefightermom, you know that the answer is not that easy .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:33 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,688,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I was just...I dont know, if there is anything I can do to prevent it, I would like to do.
Cut way down on the chemicals you use. Sunscreens, lotions, cleaning products, air sprays, makeup, all the things that are nothing but chemicals.

I know people don't like taking responsibility, but when you swim in chemicals 24/7, something is bound to be wrong with your kids. It's easier to blame it on outside factors, but people need to take a look at what they are doing to cause disruption in normal development in their children.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 PM

63 posts, read 248,357 times
I think that saying to cut down on any kind of chemicals is smart. Most experts believe their are environmental factors but that is not the only factor. I was extremely careful of any foods I ingested and not using chemicals or dyes when I was pregnant with my sons. I had prenatal care from early on and my sons are still autistic. I am not saying you shouldn't be careful but if that was the only thing you needed to do their wouldn't be such a rising number in our children being born autistic.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
[mod]Deleted personal attack.[/mod] granted autism isn't something that's easy to deal with they may take a little to get used to but they are some of the sweetest people on the earth full of unimaginable amounts of unconditional love a little impatient sometimes they talk a little loud and are happy with whatever is given to them and they are impossible to stay mad at but what do i know i just grew up with an older brother who was autistic so go ahead and worry about having a normal child and never wonder about having one that could be happy no matter what and always bring a smile to face!!!

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-22-2011 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service, thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,323,001 times
I would not worry about it. My husband's Mother had severe mental illness, and Schitzophrenia...I was really worried that one of our kids would have that problem...as a matter of fact, I almost broke up with him after he told me that...but our kids are all fine. Maybe you need to speak with a genetic counselor, so you could feel better about this issue.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,719,903 times
Life is a crapshoot. There are no guaranties on anything. You need to decide whether you like the odds and make your decision accordingly. If you desperately want a child, your risk threshhold may be higher. If you're ambivalent, you may not want to accept any risk. We don't know you, only you and your husband can decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children