U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,403,371 times

Advertisements

At my company too they had a red cross day..and they came and we went into the break room and gave blood. Was a nice feeling...then again where i worked it was free flu shots too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,744,703 times
Depending on what the medication was, what medical facility it is, etc, I might consider that for my autistic child. It would have to be an outstanding facility in order for us to participate. We are on the waiting list for the studies at UC Davis MIND Institute. They are one of the leading research facilities for autism. So far I am only interested in their non-medicated studies because of the long distance we travel and the health concerns of the trials they have had. But, I do keep an open mind when it comes to medications. I have also completed numerous questionaires, some were really indepth, for university studies on autism. We can only pray something that is helpful will come about.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,015,724 times
Default Austism and drugs

Citigirl...I am not a pro-drug person and it was a long and painful decision each time we had to put one of our sons on any medication at all. BUT...until you have lived with an Autistic child or a child with ADHD that is off their meds, don't pre-judge.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM

550 posts, read 2,584,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Citigirl...I am not a pro-drug person and it was a long and painful decision each time we had to put one of our sons on any medication at all. BUT...until you have lived with an Autistic child or a child with ADHD that is off their meds, don't pre-judge.
Hear, hear! That is what I go through...deciding to put my son on meds when it goes totally against what I believe and then having to explain myself to people who say "I would never,no matter what!!" Yeah well, ADHD can make your whole family live in complete shambles. It is such an upsetting disorder that effects everyone who is around it. I don't know about Autism but I will always have compassion for those who do decide to medicate. I know they are doing it for the safety and/or welfare of their child and that it was heart wrenching to make the choice!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
I tried to sign on for an autism study by the NIH in Maryland. We were passed up as obviously there were a limited number of candidates and they needed a broad spectrum of autistic kids and all that.

There weren't any drugs involved in that study, and there are in this one...but I think, if I were able to find any prior research on the proposed drugs, and the study really really seemed to fit my son's specifics (all autists are so different), I might consider it. Although it's true that the pharmaceutical companies have their own agenda, and that agenda is waaaaaaaaaaay less than savory, it is also true that many organizations really do want to help find out how to prevent, treat or improve autism (it never actually "goes away", of course).

I have a feeling the reason the NIH is so interested, and the reason I predict more governmental organizations in the future will suddenly seem interested, is that the government is finally figuring out that it is costing them way more to give our children services, and possibly, for severely autistic individuals, to have to support them for the rest of their lives as adults, than to just bite the flarkin' bullet and start funding it now. It's sad to say, but the truth is that it really is money that in the long run will propel the government into action to find actual treatments and therapies that truly work. One in 150 children currently have the diagnosis of autism. That's so many people.

So even if I may be wrong to feel this way, I just do have this general feeling that autism is finally being taken seriously--even if it's only for yucky reasons such as money--and that for that reason, even the pharmaceutical companies must try to help find actual, useful chemical therapies rather than Band-Aid drugs. It's not a question of just continuing to hand out the drugs for a lifetime and making a lifetime worth of dollars by it. It's a matter of, autistic adults might need full-time housing, they might need medical care, they might be entirely unable to work for decades and decades...so it's not as simple a matter of "keep the people in the dark and keep giving them drugs". Unlike many other conditions (which I'm not downplaying, BTW), it's not as easy with autism for the drug companies to keep making money and the government to keep winking. Something concrete needs to be done or seriously, our economy is going to be sunk. Imagine supporting 1 in 150 people for 40 years each on disability in addition to all the people we have on disability for other reasons?????

A few years ago I mightn't have even considered a study that involved drugs, but now that autism has become so huge and so well-known, and now that it, by numbers, anyway, is an epidemic, I feel like there is going to start to be more of a watchdog-eye on pharmaceutical companies as involves this diagnosis. So for that reason I'd feel more comfortable today considering the study the OP described.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:11 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,744,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I have a feeling the reason the NIH is so interested, and the reason I predict more governmental organizations in the future will suddenly seem interested, is that the government is finally figuring out that it is costing them way more to give our children services, and possibly, for severely autistic individuals, to have to support them for the rest of their lives as adults, than to just bite the flarkin' bullet and start funding it now. It's sad to say, but the truth is that it really is money that in the long run will propel the government into action to find actual treatments and therapies that truly work. One in 150 children currently have the diagnosis of autism. That's so many people.

So even if I may be wrong to feel this way, I just do have this general feeling that autism is finally being taken seriously--even if it's only for yucky reasons such as money--and that for that reason, even the pharmaceutical companies must try to help find actual, useful chemical therapies rather than Band-Aid drugs. It's not a question of just continuing to hand out the drugs for a lifetime and making a lifetime worth of dollars by it. It's a matter of, autistic adults might need full-time housing, they might need medical care, they might be entirely unable to work for decades and decades...so it's not as simple a matter of "keep the people in the dark and keep giving them drugs". Unlike many other conditions (which I'm not downplaying, BTW), it's not as easy with autism for the drug companies to keep making money and the government to keep winking. Something concrete needs to be done or seriously, our economy is going to be sunk. Imagine supporting 1 in 150 people for 40 years each on disability in addition to all the people we have on disability for other reasons?????
I totally agree!!! Its about the all mighty dollar. But, I am glad its finally happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children