U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
22 posts, read 22,070 times
Reputation: 16


This is a tough situation. I am helping raise my niece, 17. She has a half-brother, 12, who probably has aspergers and ODD, but never diagnosed. Both she and her brother have spent their lives neglected. At least one parent if not both are meth addicts. The household is sometimes violent, and CPS has investigated before, and found problems. The kids have always qualified for medicaid and food stamps, but the mother would not get them. They have never had medical care or dental visits. My niece was the effective parent.

My niece has recently come to live with me. My problem is that she wants to sacrifice herself yet again by becoming a legal parent to her younger brother when she turns 18. She is afraid if CPS comes, he'll be institutionalized because of his meltdowns, issues and "rough edges" from many years of non-parenting. She also knew many kids in foster care at alternative school and was not impressed with what she heard. She is afraid there is absolutely nothing out there for him and something horrible will happen unless she ditches her college plans and parents him herself.

Right now her brother bounces between the colorado springs and denver area (parents frequently evicted/doubling up/homeless). He is sometimes cared for by a grandmother, another meth addict, also a dealer. There is no 504 plan in place because no one will take him to a doctor or a neurologist to diagnose him. He is frequently suspended and always on the verge of being expelled, even in elementary school. Does anyone know of some way this child can get help in Colorado so that we can help my niece and allow her to focus on her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top