U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,200,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGotcha View Post
Well it's been a few weeks and I put another TV into his room (tube type TVs are just about free on craigslist!) and we reiterate each time he watches a movie about the event and the possible loss of the TV again. No problems so far. We do at times spank him when he misbehaves knowingly, but it only works (and does work well) when done at the time of the incident. Punishment for my son is quite different than most normal children as he has much higher thresholds for pain and reacts oddly to sensory input, giggling if he does not really know what he did wrong. Taking away privileges is often ineffective as he does not really "get it" but the TV privilege was definitly something he missed (our Hab person begged us for several weeks to bring it back, as my son was very weepy about it!).
Kudos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,785,067 times
My friend has a daughter who is autistic- what she found to be very beneficial is to lightly (lightly being the key word- the "spanking" should barely hurt) tap her daughter's rear end whenever she misbehaved, whether it was intentional misbehavior or not. The girl now associates the tap with doing something wrong.

Usually if I was told that a parent spanked their special needs child, I wouldn't think too highly of that parent, but the "not painful spanking" seems to work well.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 PM

38 posts, read 59,981 times
Ignoring the behavior is my advice. Cleaning up when the child is not watching, not discussing it when the child can hear you, and going about your day as he is finding his independence. Some children do not understand the difference between positive and negative attention. Does he know he is being watched on a camera?

I have learned this valuable lesson working with special needs children. Most inappropriate behaviors can be nipped in the bud early with the "ignoring" strategy.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 PM

33,057 posts, read 34,751,615 times
Differentially reinforce...in addition to ignoring the inappropriate urination, positively reinforce appropriate toileting (and prompt it, initially, to make sure that what it expected is known without the shadow of a doubt). Make the reinforcement something that matters and is really something the kid wants and values. Make it obvious that it can't be obtained any other way than peeing where he's supposed to. Don't give out the reinforcement for anything other than the desired behavior. Find something that can ONLY be obtained through peeing in the toilet (maybe a clip of the beloved Disney movies, etc.)

Without knowing your child, my general rule of thumb is not to use punishment, corporal or otherwise, for children with autism, not because I'm a touchy-feely anti-spanker, but because positive reinforcement is simply proven to be much, much, much more effective in shaping behavior. It's just works better. Keep track of the behavior and reinforcement, and you'll see the pattern over time. Plus, with various sensory issues that can be found in people with autism, spanking can actually act as a reinforcer, and the last thing you want to do is encourage the behavior you don't want inadvertently by providing a stimulus the kid will seek out again and again. In general, it's better NOT to take away things due to behavior you don't want...better to allow access to things when (and only when) you see behavior you DO want.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 12-17-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM

1,895 posts, read 2,013,236 times
lol at jfkIII, but I don't agree w/ spanking an autistic child in general, but at the same time, some forms of autism are milder than the others, and it seems that as they begin to understand more, I feel a spanking may be well justified(trust me, if you met my little autistic cousin you'd understand why I'm saying this).

Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,323,951 times
sounds like this boy has just figured out he can control his urination. Being just out of pull ups, he has easier access to pull it out and spray. The TV was probably the biggest item in his room that was a good target.

He needs to 'learn' that potties are for pee, and if he has the urge to spray, he needs to find a better target. Have a bowl of fruit loops so he can toss one in the potty to aim at. If you live in the country, deticate a tree to water. (my nt son and his best friend (preschool age) would get all giddy when they could 'water' the tree outside)

Your son has a newfound power.... he is just experimenting on control (turning it on and off, power of the stream, and aim). Many boys go through this, just at an earlier age.

Direct consequence (you pee on the tv, you loose the tv) is a great behavior modifier in this case.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Despite the age, if peering into a toilet is a new experience then it stands to reason that the concept of hosing down things is new and therefore, pretty neat! Especially to an autistic person who who may have a looser concept as to the role different objects are. Why pee into a toilet and not on a TV? After all, a TV makes noises and lights where a toilet is boring and white. Or maybe the autistic child is experimenting on peering many different objects to see if there is any change in he experience. Autistic people view stimuli differently then mainstreamers.
With this model in mind, I would suggest rewarding using the toilet and no action what-so-ever for any inappropriate urination. The autistic child will distinguish that peering in the toilet is preferable because it has a more complex effect attached to it and in time it will become the normal routine. One it is routine it will happen on its own without need for thought and problem will be past.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
Default Shellnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Spank the kid. They'll learn to associate pain=not funny. Peeing on things= painful = not funny. It's not rocket science, folks.
No need to undermine others thoughts,actions or beliefs re:autism... Rocket science???? If you know a little about autism, or a lot.... everyone with autism is so very different... One case is not like another. Not saying I against the old "smack", but careful not to offend, it is such an emotional journey to have a beautiful babe,born with autism.....

Last edited by Jaded; 01-17-2014 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: language

Old 01-23-2014, 02:28 AM

3,798 posts, read 3,195,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
People with no experience with special needs kids should stay off this forum. Being judgemental on something you know nothing about isn't helpful to anyone.
Yes, that is right. Parents of children with special needs come here for support. Thank you.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 PM

155 posts, read 283,694 times
BTW, it's been almost 4 years since this incident and since then all his pee has been in (or very close to in) the Toilet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children