U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,774,567 times

Advertisements

If anyone has any links to getting some sort of state aid, let me know, please. I heard somewhere you can get some help with a special ed. child (maybe just a small stipend to help pay for their therapy or something.)

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times
Depends entirely on what state you are in. There is no federal aid. There are lists you can get on for waivers for some aid, but they are often quite long. If your income is above the poverty level, you will only get aid if you get to the top of a wait list *or* if your state has a specific law that provides aid. Not many do, but a few have special needs scholarships.

Pennsylvania was supposed to be really good, but it is not working the way it was supposed to work. New Jersey and Wisconsin are also supposed to be good as is California. But California is cutting way back.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,289,907 times
I live in PA and get state aid for my AS son with no problem at all. We also tried to apply for Medicare disability, but our income was too high. The state aid lasts until age 21, then he will have to sign up for the adult waiver program, which has a long waiting list and no guarantee he'll ever get it.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,993,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If anyone has any links to getting some sort of state aid, let me know, please. I heard somewhere you can get some help with a special ed. child (maybe just a small stipend to help pay for their therapy or something.)

Thanks very much.
You really can't get aid until your child is 18, then he qualifies for all kinds of programs (job-training, Medicare, SS Disability). What you can get before age 18, is federally and state-mandated education accomodations for special needs children. If your local school district does not provide the services your child requires, they may be required to reimburse you for the cost of private services. Check with your school district and local advocacy groups.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 PM

177 posts, read 271,847 times
Have you tried looking into TEFRA?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 PM

6,131 posts, read 9,098,506 times
None of the above is good advice.
Go to your state's website and look for the Div. of Developmental Disabilities.
Every state has one. Its federally funded and state funded. Income (yours) does not matter.
Find the intake phone # and call them. Tell them you need to apply for services for your son.
From there, you will get what he needs. If he is school age, the schools will ALSO provide service. Free.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 AM

449 posts, read 1,481,354 times
You can get SSI if you have a disabled child - federally funded in every state, your income does matter. Then some states offer an additional state grant - could be $4 (yes, you read that right) or $89
or something else. I'm not sure if state portion continues into adulthood.
After 18, they have to requalify for SSD and they review every few years - I think its 3 yrs. At that point your income doesn't matter.

Pretty much anything else depends on the state and the county. It can vary dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children