Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

That is exactly how I feel about people who prefer to cutsify "Aspergers" into "Aspies." It sounds like they are buying into the negativity that THEY perceive of it, and are trying to convince themselves that it's a fluffy happy puppydog instead. What's wrong with A.S.? Why try to wrap it in colorful fluffy stuffing, as the author suggests she's trying to do, if you don't think of it as a negative thing in the first place?

It's not a colorful fluffy stuffing thing. It's not a happy peppy joyful bouncy little puppydog. I don't particularly buy into the notion that it's a "syndrome" either, but no one has to add the "syndrome" part in casual conversation when bringing up the fact that they or someone they know has Aspergers. Or A.S.

And actually, when I first heard the term "Aspies" I thought someone was talking about a cheerleader group at Aspen High School in Colorado. It was pretty confusing, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That is exactly how I feel about people who prefer to cutsify "Aspergers" into "Aspies." It sounds like they are buying into the negativity that THEY perceive of it, and are trying to convince themselves that it's a fluffy happy puppydog instead. What's wrong with A.S.? Why try to wrap it in colorful fluffy stuffing, as the author suggests she's trying to do, if you don't think of it as a negative thing in the first place?

It's not a colorful fluffy stuffing thing. It's not a happy peppy joyful bouncy little puppydog. I don't particularly buy into the notion that it's a "syndrome" either, but no one has to add the "syndrome" part in casual conversation when bringing up the fact that they or someone they know has Aspergers. Or A.S.

And actually, when I first heard the term "Aspies" I thought someone was talking about a cheerleader group at Aspen High School in Colorado. It was pretty confusing, to say the least.
I agree. I was shocked when I first saw the nickname of aspie. I honestly thought they were referring to a dog breed. When I realized what it was referring to, it made it sound like a little club exclusive to cutsie little aspie children running around.

The name sounds so very twinkie to be used to refer to a condition that people want to be taken seriously. Really, who can take it seriously when those inflicted are called aspies? It sounds like they should be on a morning children's show like the Teletubbies or Barney.

This is how people who aren't associated with aspergers hear the term aspie, so if anyone gets some chuckles and asked, 'Now are those longed haired, or short?', or 'Now what breeds are mixed to get those?', don't be surprised.

Not meant to be offensive, but you have to realize what that sounds like.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I think the negative interpretations and connotations expressed by the individuals who find it to be negative tell so much more about the person themselves and how they view the condition than the actual term itself.
Honestly, it was invented just a short while ago and hasn't cemented itself into the politically correct field of acceptable inflictions. It's difficult to take it seriously when referred to as an aspie.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
i'm asperger's and call myself an aspie all the time. my wife is too and we make a lot of aspie jokes. in fact we go all out and jokingly call each other ass-pie and ass-burger, too. (taken from encyclopedia dramatica.)

i also affectionately use the terms blindie and deafie and fibromite among blind, deaf, and friends who also have fibromyalgia (as well as sighties, hearies, and normals to refer to sighted, hearing and non-fibro people). i don't think there's anything wrong with the terms. they're the kind of terms that can be used with venom or affectionately, especially within the respective communities. obviously when i'm using them i'm using them affectionately.

i'm not trying to make asperger's or other conditions into happy fluffy things, but i think there is something to be said for having a healthy sense of humor and being able to laugh at oneself.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Too true, nimchimpsky! My support structure contains several families with members on the spectrum and no one thinks twice about autie, aspie, rettnoid, etc. Just like no one thinks twice about calling a premature infant a premie. We also call neurotypicals "nits" -- because they're a nuisance at times and hard to get rid of LOL.

If someone uses the term "aspie" in a derogatory manner or doesn't take us seriously because of the term we use to desribe ourselves it really doesn't matter all that much. When you spend your life being discriminated against, demeaned, marginalized and ignored one more idjit in the line really doesn't puncture your hide too deep.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Too true, nimchimpsky! My support structure contains several families with members on the spectrum and no one thinks twice about autie, aspie, rettnoid, etc. Just like no one thinks twice about calling a premature infant a premie. We also call neurotypicals "nits" -- because they're a nuisance at times and hard to get rid of LOL.

If someone uses the term "aspie" in a derogatory manner or doesn't take us seriously because of the term we use to desribe ourselves it really doesn't matter all that much. When you spend your life being discriminated against, demeaned, marginalized and ignored one more idjit in the line really doesn't puncture your hide too deep.
With an attitude like that it's inviting people to look down on aspergers.

Glad to know it's nothing but a silly cult. I never did believe it was real. Just a bunch of clowns, a bunch of asswipes.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

Glad to know it's nothing but a silly cult. I never did believe it was real. Just a bunch of clowns, a bunch of asswipes.
Wow. A bit strong, don't you think? So, your issue is really that you don't believe in Asperger's Syndrome. It's not really about how they refer to themselves. Because you can't really be so invested in how they refer to themselves, right?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Wow. A bit strong, don't you think? So, your issue is really that you don't believe in Asperger's Syndrome. It's not really about how they refer to themselves. Because you can't really be so invested in how they refer to themselves, right?
It was implied. I think the cutsie aspies are jealous of the 'nits' and 'idjets'.

My issue is that this little cult full of aspies is as biased as the rest of us. I'm not PC, so it isn't necessary for me to join the ranks of making everybody feel good about themselves.

Aspie sounds silly and trite.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:09 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:

Quote:
It was implied. I think the cutsie aspies are jealous of the 'nits' and 'idjets'.

My issue is that this little cult full of aspies is as biased as the rest of us. I'm not PC, so it isn't necessary for me to join the ranks of making everybody feel good about themselves.

Well, apparently what you know about Aspergers can be written on the back of a postage stamp. My wife laughed at this, she's an Aspie, and said the following...

"Sounds like someone is trying to get into a slanging match by pushing emotional triggers, sad that they don't get that most of the triggers they're trying to push don't exist in an Aspie."

Let's be straight here, cults are for people who want to join a group for social acceptance. An Aspie joining a cult would be like someone who's black joining the KKK. They don't understand or need social acceptance, and groups can freak them out.

Your second post is self contradicting, either Aspies are a cult, or they're not, if they're a cult why would they be jealous of those not in it (if anything they should pity those not in the cult of "Aspie"). If they're not then they have a diagnosable condition. To consider otherwise would be silly and trite.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:

Institute for the Study of the Neurologically Typical

Quote:
What Is NT?

Neurotypical syndrome is a neurobiological disorder characterized by preoccupation with social concerns, delusions of superiority, and obsession with conformity.

Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. NTs find it difficult to be alone. NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.

NT is believed to be genetic in origin. Autopsies have shown the brain of the neurotypical is typically smaller than that of an autistic individual and may have overdeveloped areas related to social behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children