U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times

Advertisements

Today, upon coming home from her school, held up her bus today because she would not leave her front seat to move to the very back of the bus. Now mind you, this girl has an argumentative mouth on her which lands her in trouble a lot but this is something that I think is justified.

While she is prone to fighting with the other two girls who ride the bus, verbally not physically, in order to separate them the bus driver told her to move to the very back of the bus today, which she argued with him about. She made it clear that if she goes to the back of the bus it will give her a migraine and she will throw up, and to be honest I'm pretty sure that she informed him with snippy/attitude-y tone. Medically her headaches are being monitored, but every time she is known to throw up; He told her that if she would not move, he would not move the bus to drive them home. After much arguing, even her teachers informing him that she gets sick on the bus when they noticed that they hadn't left yet, she moved to the back after a teacher gave her a trash bag. He told her that the very back of the bus is her permanent spot from now on as well. End result, she threw up and came home with a trash bag full and rather late actually.

When our mother called the school district, they said that she may be suspended for this event. They also said that by California state law they could bring charges up on my sister because anyone holding up ANY bus, for whatever reason, is considered "Hi-jacking" and that they would prosecute her should this become a regular problem. We're still waiting to hear back from the school to see if she's getting suspended for this too.

I'm tempted to think that this is total BS. I think that he's just doing this to get her eventually off his buss all-together because he just doesn't like her for being tardy every morning and mouthing off to him last time. He doesn't just drive for the behavior school that she's attending and I really don't think that he understands exactly how to deal with the children that he's driving. I ESPECIALLY don't want to have to send my sister off with a trash bag every day just so that she can bring it home full of throw up. She shouldn't have to be put into the back, despite not getting along with the other girls, all that needs to happen is separate seats. There is room as the buss isn't that packed; she ride the special bus.

Every morning the same bus driver picks her up and admittedly she's generally always late a few minutes because of her ADHD, since school started and he's complained about that. Just earlier this week, he requested that she be suspended from school for a day when one morning she got onto the bus with a migraine and opened a window for herself to have a little air. That day he wanted her to go to the back of the bus because he was trying to punish her for opening them without his permission or something and of course she argued with him and didn't move from her spot because she didn't want to throw up before school. Now again, she had coped an attitude with him and was a smart-mouth towards him, which ultimately ended up being the big reason why she was suspended.

I've advised my mom to seek a lawyer, but she's really doesn't have the financial funds to do so. But all that aside, I think that's really the biggest load of bull that I've ever heard of. They'll try and prosecute her if she does this again? Her permanent seat is in the back even though he knows that she'll barf every day for sitting back there? The TEACHERS not taking a stand for her physical, as well as mental health, and just giving her a TRASH BAG? This is not okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,317,478 times
Did she come home with the bag or did they force her to come home with the bag?

They are bluffing. They are pretty sure there will not be lawyers involved, and usually they are right, because at $300 an hour, attorneys are expensive. OTOH, it doesn't take an attorney to raise hell about an ADA violation. I'm guessing your assessment of the driver ("he's just doing this to get her off his bus") is correct. But if she's on the "special bus", the administration are limited in what they can do to make that happen, because legally they must transport her.

That having been said, it's easy enough to get it written into her IEP that she can have the bus window open if she's having a migraine. It's easy enough to get it specified that she sit in a particular, assigned seat. Of course, then it is incumbent upon her to follow bus rules, ADHD or not.
As for the "running late every day" thing, the resident adult needs to get her up 20 minutes earlier, and stay on her every moment until she's ready. If it means she's ready before everybody else and has to spend ten minutes standing at the bus stop, oh well. That's what most people with kids with attention issues have to do. It's a PIA, but it works.
Separate out the issues. Determine which behaviors can be ameliorated with work on her part or your family's part, and which need accommodated. Then concentrate on those that actually need accommodated.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 AM

29 posts, read 57,041 times
The resident adult needs to take some more responsibility for her. She shouldn't have been to the one to inform the bus driver of her condition, especially if the adults knew she would do it in a snippy, confrontational way. She also should not have been so late everyday. This whole thing started off very badly. The bus drivers in general deal with some of the worst behaved kids every day and can't be expected to take a ill behaved child making demands seriously right off the bat. Her guardian should have made arrangements ahead of time.

That said, it's unfortunate they haven't moved her even after she's "proved" she will throw up. Now it's devolved into a weird sort of power struggle which is stupid on their part. My advice is to approach this calmly and maturely. Call the school and inform them you need to make special arrangements for the child to to sit in the front of the bus and don't scream or yell. The bus driver probably has NOT been trained to deal with special needs children. Keep in mind this is one of the crappiest jobs in the world. It will be a lot easier to teach him/her if you do it calmly. They lose any upper hand they have if the guardians behave maturely and do their parts.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM

5,681 posts, read 8,085,748 times
If she's late for the bus the driver should just leave her. She's not going to have to learn how to get along in the real world at some point.

She also should not be arguing with the bus driver. She needs to learn to respect authority.

Also instead of calling the school you should call the districts transportation office. That's who bus issues go through.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM

9,566 posts, read 17,094,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
If she's late for the bus the driver should just leave her. She's not going to have to learn how to get along in the real world at some point.

She also should not be arguing with the bus driver. She needs to learn to respect authority.

Also instead of calling the school you should call the districts transportation office. That's who bus issues go through.
I could be wrong but I'm thinking that special buses are not allowed to do that. I'm wondering though OP, is there no aide on the bus? Most of our special buses do. Your mom needs to have a meeting with those in charge of transportation and with the case manager in charge of the IEP at school to work out a solution to this--I don't think a lawyer would be necessary at this point but those with IEP's have certain legal rights and you guys need to know what those are. A good place to find out is: Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy

Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 PM

5,681 posts, read 8,085,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I could be wrong but I'm thinking that special buses are not allowed to do that. I'm wondering though OP, is there no aide on the bus? Most of our special buses do. Your mom needs to have a meeting with those in charge of transportation and with the case manager in charge of the IEP at school to work out a solution to this--I don't think a lawyer would be necessary at this point but those with IEP's have certain legal rights and you guys need to know what those are. A good place to find out is: Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy
They can and do. The driver is on a schedule. They don't have time to wait around. Plus by waiting the driver is enabling her tardiness. She'll learn to get there on time, or find another way to school. Transportation must be provided, but not on her terms. The other children have the right to be picked on on time, and to arrive at school on time.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:49 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,191,321 times
Please note that the OP posted in 2010 and has not been back since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children