U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,041,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yeah I find it hard to believe, simply based on the older generations' stories about playing with mercury and all the other fun and exciting uses for mercury 'back in the day' I find it very hard to believe there's more exposure to mercury today than there was 50 years ago.
I agree. We used to play with mercury every time a thermometer broke. We rolled it in our hands and everything and autism was unheard of. We ate fish and were exposed to mercury our entire lives.

I think parents need someone to blame besides themselves. They use cleaners and chemicals on children from the time they are born. Is it any surprise kids are wierd now? They are pumped so full of chemicals the parents themselves expose them to it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,641,931 times
I can't believe I am agreeing with Smooth...

BUT I do not think it is Mercury. I, quite honestly, do not believe there is such a huge jump in the last 30 years in the occurrence of ASD. I DO believe that in this day and age, we are more eager to give any condition a name. Back in the day, there were always wht kids we were slightly different. Two of those kids would be my brothers. I bet that if they were tested by today's standards, they would be considered ASD. Back then, they were just 'slow'.

We have been given more information on what to look for and when to seek help. This is both good and bad. Good because we are able to identify ways to help, bad because there people who see ASD under every tree. Then there is the sigma associated with being on the spectrum and the people who excuse every behavior to the child having ASD and, unfortunately there are people who write off ASDers.

INHO, ASD is not a limitation. A parent has to figure out how their child thinks and help the child by teaching him/her to translate the world around them into a language they understand. And for goodness sake, stop trying to 'fix' ASDers... they are not broken. They are human beings with feelings, just like NT people.

If there is a cause found, then by all means, help prevent ASD, but ASD is not a death sentence, it is a lifestyle changer. I for one, am blessed by my child with ASD.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM

12,870 posts, read 15,352,079 times
there's a big diff in injecting mercury into your body than therenis playing with it on your hands. I remember playing with the mercury in thermometers as well, but now we would never THINK of allowing our children to do that as we know better.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 PM

23,272 posts, read 28,068,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I can't believe I am agreeing with Smooth...

BUT I do not think it is Mercury. I, quite honestly, do not believe there is such a huge jump in the last 30 years in the occurrence of ASD. I DO believe that in this day and age, we are more eager to give any condition a name. Back in the day, there were always wht kids we were slightly different. Two of those kids would be my brothers. I bet that if they were tested by today's standards, they would be considered ASD. Back then, they were just 'slow'.

We have been given more information on what to look for and when to seek help. This is both good and bad. Good because we are able to identify ways to help, bad because there people who see ASD under every tree. Then there is the sigma associated with being on the spectrum and the people who excuse every behavior to the child having ASD and, unfortunately there are people who write off ASDers.

INHO, ASD is not a limitation. A parent has to figure out how their child thinks and help the child by teaching him/her to translate the world around them into a language they understand. And for goodness sake, stop trying to 'fix' ASDers... they are not broken. They are human beings with feelings, just like NT people.

If there is a cause found, then by all means, help prevent ASD, but ASD is not a death sentence, it is a lifestyle changer. I for one, am blessed by my child with ASD.
I too believe that a large part of the increase in ASD diagnosis is due to awareness of the condition and recognition that the diagnosis will help open doors and get services to help ASDers accomplish exactly what you are doing for your child.

There is strong evidence that autism has a genetic basis. Someone may eventually find an environmental trigger, but so far there is really no good candidate, certainly not vaccines, including those containing thimerosal.

And your child is blessed to have you for a mom.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 AM

55,578 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I agree. We used to play with mercury every time a thermometer broke. We rolled it in our hands and everything and autism was unheard of. We ate fish and were exposed to mercury our entire lives.

I think parents need someone to blame besides themselves. They use cleaners and chemicals on children from the time they are born. Is it any surprise kids are wierd now? They are pumped so full of chemicals the parents themselves expose them to it's ridiculous.
I think there's some truth to this, although it might not explain every child with a learning disability. But I know a mother whose only child is autistic who fits this description. She is the kind of person who scrubs everything in her house whether it needs it or not, and I know she washed her kid's toys all the time and with the kind of stuff you use to clean your BATHROOM. Common sense should dictate that this isn't a good idea.

Anyway, who knows whether these chemicals had anything to do with his condition, but exposing a baby to all that crap can't be good. Dirt would be better.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,868,142 times
The most interesting piece of information on the Mercury autism debate I ever heard was that there is more Mercury in a single serving of tuna fish then there is in the entire course of administered vaccines.

I personally believe that the rise is autism diagnosis is directly tied to the broader criteria used to diagnose the condition. If we paint with a broader brush, more people are going to be included.

At the end of the day, so many things are tied to genetics, that I can't help think that autism is one of them. Either it is directly caused by a genetic abnormality or the genetic abnormality causes a susceptibility to something that leads to autism. I think the problem with these types of theories is that many people want to place blame somewhere versus simply accepting the cards they are dealt and doing the best they can for their children.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 AM

55,578 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The most interesting piece of information on the Mercury autism debate I ever heard was that there is more Mercury in a single serving of tuna fish then there is in the entire course of administered vaccines.

I personally believe that the rise is autism diagnosis is directly tied to the broader criteria used to diagnose the condition. If we paint with a broader brush, more people are going to be included.

At the end of the day, so many things are tied to genetics, that I can't help think that autism is one of them. Either it is directly caused by a genetic abnormality or the genetic abnormality causes a susceptibility to something that leads to autism. I think the problem with these types of theories is that many people want to place blame somewhere versus simply accepting the cards they are dealt and doing the best they can for their children.
Something interesting along those lines: A friend of mine has a severely handicapped son. He was born with more than 100 "anomalies", including lack of development of his pelvic bone, non-formation of a large part of his brain, blindness, underdeveloped respiratory function, etc., etc., etc. He is now 17 years old and wears a size 4 Toddler sleeper. Her other siblings all have a child with some kind of problem. One has a congenital heart issue, another had a child with a club foot, another has an autistic son. It seems as if something is up for all these problems to appear in the same family, even though none seem to be related.

My friend attended a seminar on healthy living, nutrition, etc., which she is very interested in, and she brought her son along because she had no one to sit with him that day (and he isn't disruptive as he cannot cry or make many sounds or go anywhere), and at one point the man giving the seminar spoke to her and suggested she might want to sit out the next part of the seminar. She chose to stay. What that part of the seminar addressed was that some physical problems people may have could be the result of untreated STDs in earlier generations that are causing genetic disturbances several generations later. My friend was fascinated by this concept.

Another possibility is that growing up, this family was somehow exposed to something environmental that affected their offspring. Look at all the chemicals that generations before us lived without but that we expose ourselves to all the time because advertising convinces us we "need" it. For example, "dryer sheets" anyone? I mean c'mon, is that REALLY necessary?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,318,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

You forgot the "refrigerator mother" idea.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why, if it's bad parenting, so there are so many sets of fraternal twins with one neurotypical twin and one on the spectrum? Clearly, they're living with the same parents, at the same time, in the same house with the same bathroom in which Scrubbing Bubbles and Comet are being used. They're vaxed at the same time, usually from the same multidose vial. I've never seen a set of multiples where one is given a diet of chicken nuggets and sodapop and the other organic free-range broccoli and tofu. So I'm thinking "the Happy Meal Ate My Baby" is about as stupid as "The Vaccine Did It".

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 AM

23,272 posts, read 28,068,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Something interesting along those lines: A friend of mine has a severely handicapped son. He was born with more than 100 "anomalies", including lack of development of his pelvic bone, non-formation of a large part of his brain, blindness, underdeveloped respiratory function, etc., etc., etc. He is now 17 years old and wears a size 4 Toddler sleeper. Her other siblings all have a child with some kind of problem. One has a congenital heart issue, another had a child with a club foot, another has an autistic son. It seems as if something is up for all these problems to appear in the same family, even though none seem to be related.

My friend attended a seminar on healthy living, nutrition, etc., which she is very interested in, and she brought her son along because she had no one to sit with him that day (and he isn't disruptive as he cannot cry or make many sounds or go anywhere), and at one point the man giving the seminar spoke to her and suggested she might want to sit out the next part of the seminar. She chose to stay. What that part of the seminar addressed was that some physical problems people may have could be the result of untreated STDs in earlier generations that are causing genetic disturbances several generations later. My friend was fascinated by this concept.

Another possibility is that growing up, this family was somehow exposed to something environmental that affected their offspring. Look at all the chemicals that generations before us lived without but that we expose ourselves to all the time because advertising convinces us we "need" it. For example, "dryer sheets" anyone? I mean c'mon, is that REALLY necessary?
I would be skeptical that STD's could cause genetic damage. It is just not biologically plausible to me. Some STD's can certainly cause fertility problems and can cause illnesses and birth defects in children that are exposed to them in utero, but to cause a genetic mutation that would not show up until generations later --- questionable.

The club foot may have just been from positioning of the limb inside the uterus. I think it is most likely that the fact that each sibling has a child with a different condition points more to chance than a common cause. The child with multiple anomalies could have a chromosomal disorder.

The effect of environmental conditions on genes is undergoing a lot of scrutiny now. It does appear that genes can be switched "on" and "off". It will be fascinating to see how that plays out as the research proceeds.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,318,835 times

Last edited by Aconite; 10-01-2010 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: wrong thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children