Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:29 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Not only do I agree, but I find the OP stance offensive. I'd like to see someone with a severed spinal cord get up and walk again with therapy.
I have been in a wheelchair since 1995 and no matter how hard I worked in PT & OT (I'm STILL in physical & Occupational therapy!) I will NEVER get out of this chair.

I am also Blind (btw- also a "handicap" since the word does not only mean 'unable to walk")- pray tell how will therapy restore my sight???

All encompassing statement are seldom accurate and many of the OP's statements are excruciatingly insulting to many in the disabled community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I have been in a wheelchair since 1995 and no matter how hard I worked in PT & OT (I'm STILL in physical & Occupational therapy!) I will NEVER get out of this chair.

I am also Blind (btw- also a "handicap" since the word does not only mean 'unable to walk")- pray tell how will therapy restore my sight???

All encompassing statement are seldom accurate and many of the OP's statements are excruciatingly insulting to many in the disabled community.
Indeed they are, and as someone working the field, and who also had a child born with a disability, it is extremely disheartening to read some of these posts.

They lack compassion, respect and understanding. Some people just can't get that disability can happen anytime, and anywhere to anyone.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

Just a note. While therapy will not restore your sight, it *is* possible that some new technology will.

Blind World Magazine - Requested Article.

New Technology Gives Gift of Sight - Watch WebMD Video

For humans, this is still some time in the future, but retinal cones have been successfully transplanted in mice.

Retinal cone cells transplanted into blind mice - health - 22 September 2010 - New Scientist

Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
i love it when people tell disabled people that they can be 'cured" simply because something worked for them or someone they know...
*sigh*

it doesnt work like that...

and i agree with others, your definitions of mental and physical handicaps are...yeah...*Blink blink*

Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Default e-LEGS

For those of you in wheelchairs due to paraplegia:

Lightweight Exoskeleton Gives Paraplegics New Legs | dailyator.com

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcM0ruq28dc

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-11-2010 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 AM

189 posts, read 564,528 times
sometimes my mind gets ahead of my typing or something. the library where i use comp. can be very noisy and very distracting. i was trying to get people to THINK and do research. parking spaces for handicapped are for those who have trouble walking any distance, and too it is not always easy to push someone or for wheelchair user to guide the old fashioned chairs. the newer battery powered chairs (scooters?) help a great many people. vitamins help a persons overall health. drugs definitely for the most part have lots of bad effects, even though some are necessary. usa today newspaper had front page article on deaths of 15000 people per month on medicare. read the whole article. just THINK,RESEARCH.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
You need to read more carefully, and post more carefully. The article you mentioned, did not say 15,000 per month. It said 15,000 *in one month*. That means, during one, very specific month that they checked, there were 15,000 deaths that someone felt could have been contributed to by medical mistakes in the hospital.

IN ONE month does NOT mean PER month. There might have been only 2 deaths PER MONTH but that was a very bad month, and the average 7-year medical mistake average might only be...4 per month. Think, research. And don't base your opinions on what you read in USA Today.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,671 times
I find this thread confusing and insulting.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaneRenata View Post
It is against the law under the ADA to descriminate against people who have disabilities and handicaps (or other special needs individuals). Parking in the handicap space is also a violating of justice. However, bullies who do not care about others' welfare - only about their own (it is selfish, sorry) - bully around the less fortunate. I just need you parents of special needs children and special needs adults to keep that in mind. I have had experience with cognitive dysfunction before. They said I had autism and asperger's syndrome, but my doctor said I actually have Celiac Disease. It is a disease in which the body cannot tolerate the consumption of gluten, and eating gluten will cause things like memory loss and cognitive dysfunction as well as fogginess. Mental disability simply means your mind is going blank (you are getting dumber, not smarter). Physical disability means that you cannot walk. I found out through handicap international that disability-handicap can be rehabilitated. The lame can be taught how to walk again, and people who cannot think can be taught how to have thoughts again. I was just wondering if parents of special needs children had seen if their child is able to consume gluten (I cannot).
Honey, I think you have more than one disability. Fortunately we can help you with your written expression. Unfortunately, we can't help you develop compassion or to get a life.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I find this thread confusing and insulting.
That pretty well sums it up, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children