Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times

Advertisements

Hello, we have a sweet 7 year old little girl who is non-verbal but very engaging and enjoyable to be around. But, does require attention and not really in the range of your typical neighborhood teenager to babysit every now and then.

We had someone that we found through ABA that we really liked (and so did our daughter) who would come over and watch her for a few hours here and there to give mom and dad a break. But we lost her when she moved away. Honestly, we had several through ABA, but the program just seemed to be a revolving door, stepping stone in career, for the care givers. The constant "getting attached" and then disappearing routine turned us off with the whole setup. Was making our little girl sad too when she began to realize that who she liked, was no longer coming to see her.

So, we're on the hunt to go a different route instead to find someone a little more steady and reliable. And we're willing to pay for it. But, we don't know where to start to look. I've heard some good things about care.com in general, but wife is a little hesitant. We'd obviously vet the individual heavily ourselves, and would focus more towards the adult/stable groupings instead of the younger crowd.

Anyone ever dealt with care.com for something like this? Or does anyone have a better suggestion on what path to explore? Cost isn't a problem here (well, within reason of course)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Have you tried asking at her school about who they might know that who does "respite" care? Here, agencies handle that specific type of care for children/people with disabilities, and they generally have some training and background checks already in place.

Having a child with Down syndrome, now thankfully an adult, being nonverbal and resistant to change, I have found that it works best when he has a "set" of caregivers as it was traumatic for him when a favored one did leave for a different job. Even now, as an adult that just entered a day program, I have warned them to rotate staff, because if someone leaves, it is difficult for him and causes behavioral issues. They are working at this. Your daughter may not be like this, but I thought it was worth mentioning as we learned so many things the "hard" way.

You are talking about a job that has and will always have high turnover, unless you have a relative willing and anxious to fill the spot.

Care.com? I just looked at that last week for a friend who was looking for someone to clean an apartment before she moved in, it seemed to be a very mixed bag. I would say, talk to the school, maybe the psychologist/counselor and see if they know of an agency or person.

I don't know the functioning level of your child, there might be a chance that if you have an agency that works with people who have developmental disabilities, that you might call them and let them know you are looking for someone to care for your daughter a few hours here and there as many don't get full-time hours at the programs where they work and do a little caretaking on the side. Again, these would be people who have had background checks.

This is just really my best guess on how one might approach this.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:50 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I lucked out by talking with the school and found a retired special ed teacher who was willing to sit with my daughter.

She was absolutely wonderful and had the patience of a saint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children