U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Parents are scared to death that there children might have autism. There is no way they will insist that the child has it if they are not seeing real signs. You just don't get it.

It is NOT the majority of parents who are taking drugs (so if you are around people whose parents are taking ritalin, you are seeing a very small percentage of the population.

If you know a teacher who suggests it, report them to the state. They are forbidden to suggest it. In fact they are forbidden to talk to parents about specific dxes. They can report symptoms and behaviors, but NOT mention ADHD, ADD or autism or any other dx. The school psych can when they are evaluating a child, but the teacher cannot even if s/he thinks she knows. Having been a teacher, I have lots of experience with the symptoms and can see patterns, but I would never suggest any dx. I would suggest parents have an evaluation by a qualified professional if the child is having difficulty in school and I would tell the parents the particular behaviors their child has.
Yes, Nana, good parents do not want to give their children drugs. Where I live now is much worse than where my children were raised but here, there is a high population of stay-at-home-mommies of their little accessories, I mean children. They are more than happy to dope their children and have a few themselves. This is reality. Maybe it is not your reality, but it is a reality in a lot of places besides here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Yes, Nana, good parents do not want to give their children drugs. Where I live now is much worse than where my children were raised but here, there is a high population of stay-at-home-mommies of their little accessories, I mean children. They are more than happy to dope their children and have a few themselves. This is reality. Maybe it is not your reality, but it is a reality in a lot of places besides here.
it may be reality in certain areas, but not all areas, or even most areas. I bet inner city kids are underdiagnosed. Maybe that's part of the reason their schools perform badly on tests.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
it may be reality in certain areas, but not all areas, or even most areas. I bet inner city kids are underdiagnosed. Maybe that's part of the reason their schools perform badly on tests.
But allowing the testing parameters to be changed is in all areas..that is where I think it becomes unfair.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Please, do cite your source. Regardless of whether it is against the law or not, teachers DO suggest it very frequently. Shoot, when I was in first or second grade about 20 years ago I had a teacher telling my mom I was ADD and needed to be put on meds. Thankfully my mother was intelligent and laughed at the teacher and told her to mind her business.
NO teacher in their right mind would risk their career never mind a possible lawsuit by suggesting medication.

More myths!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
But allowing the testing parameters to be changed is in all areas..that is where I think it becomes unfair.
I'm not saying they should be changed. I'm saying people can't generalize like they have in this thread. You can't act like there is no such thing as ADHD because some people might abuse the system. To call them "idiots" is offensive. (I know that wasn't you).

Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It has been my experience that the parent has to be the advocate for a lot of their kid's medical treatment. The doctor isn't with the child all day every day. The parent is. From chronic ear infections, to dental issues, to most recently, behavioral issues, I have been the one to say "where do we go? Who do we see about this?" Don't you think that parents in wealthy white suburbia would do that more often than an inner city family struggling to get by?
Come spend a week here and we'll talk again

Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Quote:
Can I ask how you know these kids are all meds?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Come spend a week here and we'll talk again
I don't need to. I live in a wealthy white suburb. If I were living at poverty level in the inner city, I probably wouldn't be as likely to seek out answers about my son, and thus he'd go undiagnosed.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:03 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,839,007 times
Quote:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Requests raised by 50%? I live in wealthy, white suburbia, this is 100% true.

Nana, do you honestly believe that there is such a soaring rate of actual disabilities or a soaring rate of kids just being put on Ritalin?
First, there IS no soaring rate of disabilities. Much of the increase you see is because diagnosis is better and kids who would have been labelled mentally retarded are now being diagnosed with autism instead and their IQs are actually more average than not.

Second, ADHD was not dxed back in my day and kids left school instead of being treated. This first dxes were in Britain in 1902 and it was called impulsivity back then. In 1937, research on using stimulants to treat this was begun. It was only in 1956 that ritalin became the treatment of choice for what was then called minimal brain dysfunction or hyperkinetic disorder of childhood. It was only in 1980 that ADD became the name for the disorder and it was noted that this dx could cause behavioral issues and was medical not just psychological. The H was added in 1987. In 1996, Adderall was added as a medication and it is currently used in place of ritalin as it is deemed a better treatment. In 1999, focalin and concerta were added as treatments. In 2003, strattera was the first drug to be added that was not a stimulant. Treatments are advancing by leaps and bounds nowadays. My dgd takes focalin at the very lowest dosage, not ritalin, btw.

Third, HOPES is correct. Wealthy parents often advocate for the medical treatment of their children because they are often knowledgeable about these conditions and what they mean. Many of those wealthy parents are medical personnel themselves from doctors to nurses or they have such people in their families.

My dd's dad is a doctor, so we got to jump over the lists when we needed an evaluation - medical courtesy with his friends who are docs who specialize in autism. Otherwise, waiting lists can be up to a year. Were we fortunate to have a doctor in the family? You bet. Do I feel bad for getting my grandson a dx more quickly than might have been done if we did not have the resources? Nope. He was totally non-verbal at 18 months. He is currently being mainstreamed in a kindergarten classroom. We paid out of pocket for ABA when he was in Louisiana from 18 months to 3 years. Insurance would not cover it. Once we moved to Texas, insurance helped and he was in ABA full time from 3 to 5. Would he be mainstreamed now if he had not gotten treatment? Probably not. Anyone with less resources has to accept what early intervention and the schools can give and it just is not much.

Dorothy

Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying they should be changed. I'm saying people can't generalize like they have in this thread. You can't act like there is no such thing as ADHD because some people might abuse the system. To call them "idiots" is offensive. (I know that wasn't you).
I don't think any child should be called an idiot. I also don't believe there is no such thing as ADHD. I just don't believe it is as rampant as it is made out to be, I do think it is overly-diagnosed. The same child who has ADHD and can't pay attention in school can play video games for hours with no problem? It's horse crap.

Kids are being raised differently now than they were for millions of years, and yes, I realize we know a lot more now. It doesn't excuse the rampant coddling and excuse making that goes on. It is real and it is frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children