Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,844 times

Advertisements

I have an eighteen year old son who has Asperger syndrome. The last few weeks or so, he has this thing where he just starts laughing and smiling for no reason. I noticed that it happens late at night and sometimes I will hear him in the middle of the night laughing. The episodes usually only lasts about two minutes. He has an appointment with his psychiatrist in a week. Does anyone have any clues about this? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,671 times
Does he know he is doing this? Is it involuntary? You may want to schedule an apointment with a neurologist. I have known people who acted this way and it was a form of a seizure.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
it may be a *tic*

Here is a forum discussion about it, though:
Laughing for no reason : Asperger's Syndrome Forum

Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
I'm an aspie and sometimes i laugh similarily to what your saying

Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
I've got this asperger thing apparently, according to some shrink back in December 2002. I guess it makes you socially handicapped or something. Ah well there we go. I guess it's why I pee people off so much. I wish they wouldn't refer to it as being "retardedness" though. Aspies are usually more intelligent than your average lug.

I remember that when I was working for some people in Leicester last June, there was a particular very opinionated (and ignorant) worker, who despite knowing I was diagnosed with this, insisted on referring to such people as "retards" in front of me, and when I just replied "well, I'm doing pretty good for a retard getting a good degree etc..." he just said "yeah but degree standards are so low anyone can get one now" and his general ignorance was downright disgusting. But hey so what, he also complained about all the immigrant workers in Leicester, referring to them as "Pakis" so he obviously has a few screws loose. Whatever, I hate judgemental moronic people like that, and think they seem to have more of a mental disorder than I do. But hey, they'll all a bit thick in Coventry/Leicester area.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 12-30-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded. I will get his pcp to write a referral to a neurologist.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM

177 posts, read 314,085 times
Have you ever asked what he was laughing at? My son and I both do this. It's usually because we're thinking about something we find funny....

Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post
Have you ever asked what he was laughing at? My son and I both do this. It's usually because we're thinking about something we find funny....
Yes, I have asked him what he is laughing about, and he just gets really quiet. I have a feeling that something is really wrong.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 AM

177 posts, read 314,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post
Yes, I have asked him what he is laughing about, and he just gets really quiet. I have a feeling that something is really wrong.

Maybe he's embarrassed to tell you or can't put it into words? One of the most difficult things for us to do is express ourselves. Very often we will and people will make fun of us.

I have a very dry sense of humor. I always have. I used to tell kids jokes when I was young (which I would laugh at myself), only to be given the thirteen heads stare. I learned very quickly it was better to keep what I perceived as funny to myself. Also, because he is a teen it could potentially be one of those "Mom, you just won't get it" scenarios.

Of course, it's possible something else is going on too, but I did want to make some other suggestions. If he seems to be OK otherwise, I would try not to worry too much. Aspies are quirky by nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children