Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM

46 posts, read 69,222 times

Advertisements

My son is 3 and we are helping him with speech delay which we discovered was a behavioral problem....on me!

I was guessing every whimp and need and he never needed to talk, plus, I never expected him to do anything, including feefing, dressing or even walking himself. Yes this is very painful and embarrasing to admit, but now it is time to rectify

He is attending preschool since 1 year old, but he is such a cutie pie that his teachers spoil him to, I discover this by staying in the classroom with him. He doesnt want to participate on an activity and they just let him not participate. He doesnt want to pick up, they let him to, just as mommy did at home. He knows how to melt them the same way he was melting me.
Now he is changing for the better and even his teachers tell me so, but I see he needs a more academic preschool because now he is behind in vocabulary and in following instructions. Among other things.

Sorry for the rambling, I am looking for a good preschool, who will provide a loving yet strong structure so he can really benefit from the preschool experience. Somewhere in Broward. Easy access to turnpike or 595 a plus

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
This is maybe better suited for your local forum, since you need local advice on schools.

In general, as the parent of a 2yo with speech delay, I can recommend that you have him evaluated by your local school system to see if he qualifies for speech services through them. In my state, and I think in others it's the same, early intervention goes up to age 3, and at age 3 the school system takes over. They should test him for free, and if he has greater than X% delay (the amount required depends on the state) then they will provide services for him, probably right in his preschool class. My daughter receives services through EI in her daycare.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance7 View Post
My son is 3 and we are helping him with speech delay which we discovered was a behavioral problem....on me!

I was guessing every whimp and need and he never needed to talk, plus, I never expected him to do anything, including feefing, dressing or even walking himself. Yes this is very painful and embarrasing to admit, but now it is time to rectify
It is unlikely that a speech delay is *only* behavioral at 3. Does he speak at all? Does he follow directions? Does he sign? Get your local school to evaluate him. He will probably qualify for services and for a free special needs preschool.

You are doing him and yourself a disservice to *assume* that this is totally behavioral.

As for schools in your area, you are best to post on your local forum.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Thank you for the concern,
He has gotten 4 evals, 1 by the state and 3 privates.

Diagnosis vary, but I can see how MY change in behavior is helping him.
He went from 12 to 25 spoken words and counting in a month, also he follows instructions now like taking stuff to the garbage, walking by my side, waiting for me to finish talking, open and close doors on command, plays simon says with a 40=-60% sucess rate, taking turns! (most time) and the list goes on an on, he is also more social with other children.

I have two more apppintments to get final eval reports meanwhile I continue working on my behavior which is helping him, Brany baby dvds are helping too. He didnt like bumble bee.

In all and allI will see what the state will offer (Meeting is June 3rd) but If I opt out I will need a good preschool, also, that would not start untill ausust I am told. I want a good preschool for the Summer.
I posted on the local, but getting no responses

Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance7 View Post
Thank you for the concern,
He has gotten 4 evals, 1 by the state and 3 privates.

Diagnosis vary, but I can see how MY change in behavior is helping him.
He went from 12 to 25 spoken words and counting in a month, also he follows instructions now like taking stuff to the garbage, walking by my side, waiting for me to finish talking, open and close doors on command, plays simon says with a 40=-60% sucess rate, taking turns! (most time) and the list goes on an on, he is also more social with other children.

I have two more apppintments to get final eval reports meanwhile I continue working on my behavior which is helping him, Brany baby dvds are helping too. He didnt like bumble bee.

In all and allI will see what the state will offer (Meeting is June 3rd) but If I opt out I will need a good preschool, also, that would not start untill ausust I am told. I want a good preschool for the Summer.
I posted on the local, but getting no responses
I am sure that your change will help, but they should offer more. If they don't they may offer to train you on things that will help.

Try signing time, btw. Signing does not delay language and hastens communication.

You can also try Baby Babble. (It might be too young, though) Amazon.com: Baby Babble 2 - First Words: P B M: Made by Speech Therapists, Talking Child: Movies & TV

My grandson liked the Watch Me Learn series.

You might want to try things other than language too. Blowing bubbles is a good skill.

Toy Suggestions for Speech Therapy:

Mr. Potato Head
Puzzles
Bubbles
Large Lego toys like Duplo
Blocks
Pop up books
Fisher Price sets – farm, house, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Try signing time, btw. Signing does not delay language and hastens communication.
We LOVE Signing Time! My kid doesn't really talk, but she can communicate because she can sign! We say the word while we sign it, and try to get her to do the same. That way, when all words that start with the same sound sound alike (Ball, Block, Bath, Bird, Boat, Book all sound like Buh for her) you can tell the difference by the sign. You still encourage them to try to say it, but they are less frustrated because they can communicate. There are other signs that look alike for her (Baby, Music, Swing), but since they don't start with the same letter, if she tries to say it while she signs, we can figure it out.

How to Baby Sign - Sign Language for Babies Signing Videos and Lessons | Signing Time

Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM

As far as preschools, my daughter will be starting at a developmental preschool in August. The school is 50% typical and 50% special needs, so it is not only special needs. They have their own therapists there, and the school is private but still affiliated with the school system. So once she is 3 and in the school system with an IEP, they will pay for her services there with the school therapists. If she qualifies for developmental classroom on her IEP, they will also pay her tuition there. We don't know what she will qualify for and it's a year away, but the school is open to the public and we are just going to put her there now. If we are paying for it then fine, if the school system pays when she's 3, even better. Because the preschool staff is experienced with kids with special needs, they know a lot of techniques for helping kids do their best. You may be able to find a school like this in your area too. They are often run by non-profits.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Yes! He loves signing time DVDs and I sign often, he does it rarely, but I keep on doing it
He loves baby bable and brainy baby, he didnt like bumble bee. He is saying more and more words, we is walking by my side and holding my hand, a lot of changes, but still working towards 1 1/2 milestones when he is actually 3...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children