Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:06 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,656,606 times

Advertisements

I know they aren't suppose to like loud noises. And my son has also hated startling noises.

But recently my six year old now says he's scared of the toilet sounds after he flushes. Do you feel like this is an Asperger thing - or a regular kid thing?

Because he's never been scared of the sound - but now he is? Just out of the blue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,211,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I know they aren't suppose to like loud noises. And my son has also hated startling noises.

But recently my six year old now says he's scared of the toilet sounds after he flushes. Do you feel like this is an Asperger thing - or a regular kid thing?

Because he's never been scared of the sound - but now he is? Just out of the blue?
Some kids with autism or aspergers also have sensory regulation issues (e.g., extreme sensitivity to sound, touch, or light, etc), but generally they have always had these issues. If this is something that just popped up (and he isn't hypersensitive to loud noises in general) then it might just be a regular kid thing. If it's something that is more generalized to noises, you can have him evaluated by an OT who can help him with these issues.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,656,606 times
No there are other noises he doesn't like but not often - like as a toddler he'd freak at the lawn mower - but now he doesn't care

Just out of the blue - he's scared of the flush of a toilet

Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
My son hates loud noises. The fire alarm at school puts him in a panic. Sometimes on tv they do those 'public service messages' along with loud beeping or whatever. He gets very freaked out.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,918,291 times
My son also hates loud noises. The weather radio going off and also the fire siren (1 block from our house) are the ones he particularly can't stand.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,220,846 times
DD does not like loud noises, or if someone, say at church, sings off tune, she does not like the sound of a candy wrapper opening, like butterscotch, old lady candy, sorry,....

Fire works have been bad in the past, but she is getting better as she gets a bit older, or a bit more used to things, I dont know.

Not so sure of the toilet flushing thing...I am also prone to certain noises bothering me, the shredder at work, beeping noises, even not so loud...

maybe someone has told him a scary story about the toilet that ends with a flush?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,878,730 times
Would it help to go technical and find a diagram or something that explains the sound that a toilet makes? I know every kid of different, but the sound of a toilet does not seem o be in the same category of sound that most bothers AS kids...

The school wouldn't listen to me when I told them that my son, then 6, should not be in music class- the 20 off-tune singers just about drove him crazy and then he was disruptive to the class. This went on for a few weeks, until he finally got fed up with it all and said (yelled) to the teacher "Do you know what this is? It's all BLAH-BLAH-BLAH!
And the lunch room- oy. So hard for him.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 AM

15,782 posts, read 21,287,613 times
It sounds like a kid thing that is exacerbated by being an Aspie. When I was younger, I was tentatively diagnosed as some mild Asperger traits that I've more or less overcome- but I still am considered an "HSP" (highly sensitive person). The sound of a toilet flushing can REALLY shock me- especially living in a dorm room right next to the bathroom. If I'm not ready for it (or any loud noise), I jump a mile. Even as a 19 year old, fireworks still make me really nervous and occasionally send me into panic attacks.

And I don't even want to start about airplanes. I'm so afraid of planes- mostly due to my heightened awareness of the sounds, motion, and smells- that I don't go home for school breaks except winter and summer. And even then, I often take a 24 hour + Amtrak ride from Boston to Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:23 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post

I don't know what it is, but when I was very young(5 or 6 years old), I was very scared of toilet sounds. In fact, up untilmy teenage years I was scared of using public restrooms(at least sitting on toilets anyway). I think this could be anyone.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:40 PM

246 posts, read 1,070,449 times
I think just about every kid goes through the "terrified of public toilets" stage. They hate the loud sound it makes. My son went through it and now my daughter is. The good news is they usually outgrow it within a year.

OTH, my son is very sensitive to other loud noises too. We believe he is an Aspie but he hasn't been diagnosed yet due to lack of insurance for the time being. He gets very upset when the noise level in a room gets too loud. He'll cover his ears and just shut down, usually brought almost to tears over it. Any loud unexpected noise bothers him. He recently quit karate class because the class got a bit bigger and the loud "kiap" just got to be too much for him to handle and was causing more stress than he could take. Now, if HE'S the one making the noise, he's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children