Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 12:09 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times

Advertisements

My son has moderate autism. He is in a school that is not meeting his needs, we are on a waiting list for a new school. Meanwhile, the newest latest thing the school does is call me whenever he has ANY behaviors and tell me to come get him. So far he has missed one day a week due to this. If I tell them I can't come get him, they threaten to call DHS. HE IS NOT SICK. Like today they called me, he was sick over the weekend. He couldn't keep down his meds on Saturday, so we had to "reintroduce" them on Sunday. He is now having issues getting back on medication. So he's crabby. He doesn't like the school, doesn't like the teacher, so he figured out that if he throws a tantrum, I will get called and he will go home. Anytime he is at home, it's a big reinforcement, so he's happy to be at home. So far the last 3-4 weeks he has missed at least 1 and sometimes 2 days for this behavior issue. For the six weeks he is at this school, do I have any recourse to keep him at school when he is well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Is the school allowed to ask that a kid be picked up for reasons other than illness?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is the school allowed to ask that a kid be picked up for reasons other than illness?
I don't know, the real pisser is that they can send my kid home, but if I keep home they can call DHS.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 PM

500 posts, read 748,403 times
I have two answers for this. If they have a Behavior Plan for your son they should be following it. Any plan worth its salt uses positive behavior supports, not 'call the parents whenever it gets difficult'. If they cannot follow his plan perhaps you can call a meeting to discuss an alternatives such as a quieter space to work so he does not miss out on his academics.

However, from your previous posts it sounds like he is not in a great environment. If you do get them to keep him in school and not call you, what will happen? Could he face restraint and seclusion? You may have to consider that, as bad as it is, he may be safer at home. You could always have them send his work home with him if you wanted.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
what would happen if instead of taking him home, you stayed in the classroom with him?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:45 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Is this coming from the principal? If not, I'd be in his/her office first thing Monday morning. If it is coming from the principal, keep going up the ladder over his head. Do you have an educational advocate? It might be worth it to hire one. Good thoughts to you. It sounds like they are doing everything in their power not to help your son.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Hello,
The other posters have made some good points. With more information I may be able to give you additional suggestions. I'm a retired special education teacher with years of experience, and advanced training with students with autism.
What is your child's grade? Is he "fully included" or partly included in regular education classes or is he in a special education classroom? Who is sending him home (a regular education teacher, a special education teacher, a school psychologist, the school secretary, the principal)? What types of behavior did he exhibit that resulted in him being sent home? Mild or severe injury to peers or adults or screaming & yelling or other tantrum behavior? Does the school realize that he is trying to be sent home?

Hang in there!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
I just read a few of your earlier posts. About how much time before your child can start in the new school? He may be better off at home with you than in a classroom/school like that.

My prayers and thoughts are with you & your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children