U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 05:34 PM

262 posts, read 553,840 times

Advertisements

I've never had long-term interactions with those of special-needs, especially adults with disabiliites.

After becoming interested in working with those with special needs, I applied for positions to work in a group home. When I thought about working in a group home, I assumed I'd be working with those who could walk by themselves, and do many of the tasks others would be able to do, just with more assistance, encouragement and supervision.

I was placed in a home where all but one are incapable of walking. They need their diapers changed, they need to be carried and put on the toliet, shower, or bed to be changed. There is one with a feeding tube who needs to be fed throughout the day.

I am in great stress due to the fact that I do not have a medical background, I am barely in my 20's and have never seen really any grown naked person before in person besides immediate family members (breast) and my friend several years ago.

I'm a virgin, have only seen my friend's penis when we were making out and this all happened during my teens. Without any warning, the first day of training I was exposed to a penis of a grown man's and I had no idea what to do or how to feel. Not only that, but the next day of training I was exposed to more genitals (all male). Of course, I am expected to wipe them and change their diapers and maneauver their gentials around to be better fitted for their diapers but... It's just a bit too much for me. Although, maybe I am being dramatic.

All of the women taking care of these specific people have had medical experience before, all of them have children, obviously have had sex and have seen the male organ plenty of times.

I have not gone through any of these experiences.

I feel lost and alone because I want to help my "clients" but this is SO overwhelming to me.

I spoke with the manager and she became somewhat defensive when I told her my discomfort.

Am I prude? Am I being overly dramatic? Will I get used to this? Will this affect my future sex life?

I never knew how emotional this would be. It's like entering a different world when you enter a group home, especially when the disabilities are moderate to severe...

Last edited by Beilua Rose; 01-02-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
You are probably not a prude. You were not trained properly prior to starting this job. Not all group homes are like this. In many group homes, the adults or teens are capable of self-care to an extent. I do think you should probably work in a different job rather than this one. You are young and if this is uncomfortable, there is no reason not to look for a job where the clients are less severe.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,165,655 times
It sounds like you didn't fully research the job you got into. I admire you for wanting to work with special needs clients, but there will be issues; even in places where clients tend to be more able there may be accidents, or clients who don't understand personal boundaries due to their disabilities. If you feel uncomfortable, then do not stay in the job; look for a job in a home with women only maybe, or go back to college and obtain a medical degree if that is what interests you.

I don't see how it would affect your future sex life; you are not doing anything sexual with these clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children