U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,666,099 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I hope this is the right board to post this on. My 5yr old has just been diagnosed by our pediatrician with the hyper-impulsive type of ADHD, we are seeing a child psychiatrist in February to discuss our options but will probably medicate. Our son's focus is pretty good (did not meet the criteria for the inattentive type of ADHD) when he can sit still but we've known since he was a baby that his energy level was way beyond normal. It is like living with a hummingbird or Tigger

He is currently in the same private school as our daughter but is having issues with behavior, hitting not listening that kind of thing. He is very bright, reading well, adding and subtracting, the testing puts him right at the line between "above average" and gifted. When he is working at his table he works well, recess and circle time are when the behavior problems happen.

So my question is will he be able to function at a demanding private school with the help of medication? Or are we going to need to move him to the public school for an IEP? I realize that no one knows the concrete answer to this question but I would be anxious to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,393,708 times
Based only upon my personal experience, it will depend upon the private school and the teachers involved. In my children's case, the small private school we attend is extremely responsive and helpful, and yes, the children do very well there. Each teacher works with me to facilitate the best environment for my children, as well as to ensure that they do not completely disrupt the environment for the more "typical" children as well. However, I had always resolved that, if any of my children were not doing well in the school or affecting others too much, then we would revisit our options.

I wish you lots of luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

19 posts, read 23,416 times
I have Add and go to a privite school it's fine and theres normal a special Ed teacher there are three kids in my special Ed that Have Adhd and there Fine
If you Send your kid to privite they will get one on one attention and with the kids in my class they get to go to the Special Ed room and play and tottaly Exaust them slefs then go back to class

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM

16,088 posts, read 17,880,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emms11 View Post
I have Add and go to a privite school it's fine and theres normal a special Ed teacher there are three kids in my special Ed that Have Adhd and there Fine
If you Send your kid to privite they will get one on one attention and with the kids in my class they get to go to the Special Ed room and play and tottaly Exaust them slefs then go back to class
That's a very unusual private school. Most private schools don't want to deal with special ed and have no special ed teachers on staff.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 AM

19 posts, read 23,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's a very unusual private school. Most private schools don't want to deal with special ed and have no special ed teachers on staff.
I go to a religous privite school so they say its there "christen dutie"

Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emms11 View Post
I go to a religous privite school so they say its there "christen dutie"
I am not sure how old you are, but they do not seem to be educating you academically. I am glad they are accepting, but you need to learn how to spell and write.

Even religious schools, btw, do not usually hire special education teachers. You go to one that is exceptional and that is likely to be a good thing for you.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,625,590 times
We got the adhd dx in 1st grade and we were at a private school and he was doing the work however they did not have the resources needed to really help so we moved him to a great public school. At the private they only have to do so much...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,625,590 times
Nana,
In one of the other threads Emms said they have dsylexia so that maybe a reason behind the spelling, we have a huge problem spelling with my son at the age of 12 I am still helping him lots.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Nana,
In one of the other threads Emms said they have dsylexia so that maybe a reason behind the spelling, we have a huge problem spelling with my son at the age of 12 I am still helping him lots.
Ah, ok. My granddaughter still doesn't spell well at this point, but she is 9, not 12.

For a dyslexic online though, if he is aware, perhaps he can use spell check?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,434 times
Hello,
These deficiencies can be offset by attention and training. I work at New Vilage Academy in Miami, Fl. Our class size is never more than 4-5 students. We basically home school for parents, either in our facility or one-on-one at their home. Our experience is that it really helps. Kids that come in that may be behind a grade level or two, get caught up by the end of a school year. We do this with our full-day students at our facility in Miami, and also via our At-Home Schooling program. *At our learning center, many previously "labeled" children get their studies back on track and off medication. Our goal is not just to meet Fla. Sunshine Standards, but exceed it. (nvacademy.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children