U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 PM

191 posts, read 661,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Have either of you had a neuropsychological evaluation done on your kids? These are intensive studies that can include hearing/speech evals and will often detect any learning, developmental or other disabilities in children.

I ask because speech issues are sometimes signs of autism spectrum disorders. And before you say No way, there are many conditions that fall under the spectrum- some kids can and do speak. Most are advanced academically, even brilliant. But most of them have speech and language difficulties.
We had a neuropsychological eval when he was five. That was our second opinion. He came out fine with that. Great point, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,280,829 times
I know that the school should be doing their job, but if you really think he needs it, have you considered an outside speech eval and outside short-term speech therapy to help him with the problem?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 PM

833 posts, read 4,443,990 times
Default referral?

Where do you get a neuropsychological test? Do you get the referral for the physician from your child's pediatrician? What type of facility gives this test/exam? My son also has a speech issue. He is five and his speech is muddy. He had tubes put in his ears about 18 months ago and is hearing much better. We thought his speech would also improve greatly. It did improve, but not greatly. We took him to the public school's speech department when he was four years old to get him evaluated and they told us he wasn't 'bad enough' to warrant services. They blamed his speech on his being 'a boy'. Is that an ethical diagnosis? Now he is in kindergarten (private school so we don't have access to public school services, I assume), and he still struggles with pronouncing some words. For example, "register" is pronounced "reder". I've never heard of a neuropsychological test before. Can someone tell me more?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Where do you get a neuropsychological test? Do you get the referral for the physician from your child's pediatrician? What type of facility gives this test/exam? My son also has a speech issue. He is five and his speech is muddy. He had tubes put in his ears about 18 months ago and is hearing much better. We thought his speech would also improve greatly. It did improve, but not greatly. We took him to the public school's speech department when he was four years old to get him evaluated and they told us he wasn't 'bad enough' to warrant services. They blamed his speech on his being 'a boy'. Is that an ethical diagnosis? Now he is in kindergarten (private school so we don't have access to public school services, I assume), and he still struggles with pronouncing some words. For example, "register" is pronounced "reder". I've never heard of a neuropsychological test before. Can someone tell me more?
I asked our pediatrician to refer him for the test, which he had no problem doing. This particular test was at the major children's hospital in our city at the time. It was quite extensive and thorough. It included a hearing test, a lot of questions and flash cards, and other things I can't quite recall. I seem to remember there was a lot of vocabulary-type questions. She would show him a picture of something (I remember a thermometer, specifically) and ask him what it was.

Our kids are in private school also. It is my understanding -- and maybe someone could chime in here if I am wrong -- that the public school district still has to provide resources for your child he is in home school, public school, or private school.

The property taxes you pay should count for something!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I know that the school should be doing their job, but if you really think he needs it, have you considered an outside speech eval and outside short-term speech therapy to help him with the problem?
I have. We have an appointment next week. Thanks, jessiegirl.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 53,784,606 times
He sounds like our oldest. I wouldn't call him speech delayed though. He had some difficulty with some sounds, l's and r's. We had him tested every year until he was in 4th grade and they basically said the same thing, he falls in the 'normal' range for using those sounds. They also explained that kids learn to say a letter in the middle of a word, then the end of a word and finally at the beginning of a word. Had he not shown some use in at least the middle of a word by 4th grade he would have speech. By then he was using r's and l's in the middle and end of words and was fine. He is now 15 and no issues at all. I am sure in his case his issues stemmed from frequent ear infections as a toddler.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 AM

1,943 posts, read 7,766,079 times
It is my understanding that you still should be allowed to have public speech services. Now, that might mean YOU will have to take him out of school, drive him there for those services, and then drive him back to his school...I don't think they have to provide transportation...but I think they do have to provide him services.

You could go to an outside speech source and get him evualated.

And remember, if his reading or writing are below grade level....OR if his speech is interferring with communication-sometimes his fellow peers or teachers cannot understand him...you can fight even more for him to receive the speech.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,291,527 times
The "th" sound is usually the last sound children learn to pronounce correctly. Up to 1st-2nd grade sppech therapists don't tend to worry about it. They usually substiture"f" (fink instead of think) or "d' (de instead of "the") although different kids substitute differently.

Both my boys have had some speech challenges -- my younger son was in intensive speech therapy from age 2 1/2 to 6, and is now completely fluent. My older son, who only had problems with his "th", is 9 and still slips up from time to time. The difference? He only had one summer of speech therapy becuase his issue was not considered serious.

So I'd say, don't worry, but if you are entitled to speech services, push for them, and nip it in the bud.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM

833 posts, read 4,443,990 times
This thread has called me to action. Thanks to all.
I've made an appointment with my son's pediatrician for next week. He will evaluate his speech and hopefully make a referral to a speech therapist for an extensive evaluation. This morning I also spoke with my son's kindergarten teacher and she said she notices his stuttering and will have a fellow teacher come in to monitor his speech and articuation. She will then write up her findings and I'll take this paper with me to the pediatrician appointment.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,280,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Are you in the Chicago area? (just looked at your profile). If so, send me a PM and I can tell you places where you can go! Also you do have access to public school services if you are in private school. I hope you're in IL and then I think I can help Let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or