U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
 
191 posts, read 662,777 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

My seven year old is experiencing some speech delay. He doesn't always say his l's (yeg instead of leg) or his th's (maf instead of math). He can pronounce these sounds when corrected and continues to progress.

We have had him evaluated at school every year since he was four. The speech therapist's opinion has been that he is delayed but progressing and is not in need of speech therapy. We got a second opinion when he was five with the same answer.

While I can see his progress, I can't help but be bothered by the fact that his peers are speaking correctly and he is not. Anyone else with a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Fla. .......Bow Chicka Wah Wah
766 posts, read 486,091 times
Reputation: 617
I have a seven year old too and he has some troubles with the th sound.It comes out like a V sound,they told me with boy's it is somewhat normal ,no worries.So, I don't know,it doesn't bother me as much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM
 
191 posts, read 662,777 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlovertoo View Post
I have a seven year old too and he has some troubles with the th sound.It comes out like a V sound,they told me with boy's it is somewhat normal ,no worries.So, I don't know,it doesn't bother me as much anymore.
Thank you for that. I think I am revisiting the issue because we have just moved and he has changed schools. I am afraid some of the other kids might tease him, although no one has yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Fla. .......Bow Chicka Wah Wah
766 posts, read 486,091 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
Thank you for that. I think I am revisiting the issue because we have just moved and he has changed schools. I am afraid some of the other kids might tease him, although no one has yet.



I worried about that too,but he has never said anything about that.And I really think he will grow out of it,I wouldn't worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
 
191 posts, read 662,777 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlovertoo View Post
I worried about that too,but he has never said anything about that.And I really think he will grow out of it,I wouldn't worry.
I hope so. I feel he will grow out of it, and so far his classmates seem very sweet.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM
 
Location: FL
1,943 posts, read 7,785,140 times
Reputation: 2262
My son is 7 too, and has had speech delays since before 2, due to hearing loss. After the tubes and he could finally hear, he has been playing catch up.

His voice is different, he sometimes drops word endings, cannot do his Rs. He has been in speech since 2 years of age. His public school has allowed him in the articulation area of speech. He is not below grade level- he is actually above grade level (the highest state test in his class actually). They are still allowing him to be in. I don't know if it's because I work at that school or because the targets that he is having trouble with are targets he should have accomplished by now...

I don't know the website, but you can ask the speech pathologist to show you exactly what targets are age appopriate and maybe try to push for speech if he should have accomplished those targets...

I will say that no one teases him...only someone had said that his "accent is different" (no accent, just the voice)....and I had a speech problem and was in speech until I was 12 years of age, and I cannot once remember someone making fun of me for my speech...I would say not to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 PM
 
Location: FL
1,943 posts, read 7,785,140 times
Reputation: 2262
Oh, I reread your post and didn't see you mention anything about this: is he on grade level in reading, or writing?

Reason I ask is that if he isn't on grade level... you can absolutely push and probably receive speech in your school based on that you believe that one of the reasons that he is not on grade level is because he cannot say the sounds correctly. For example, it might be interfering with his spelling because he says sounds differently than they are actually said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Fla. .......Bow Chicka Wah Wah
766 posts, read 486,091 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Oh, I reread your post and didn't see you mention anything about this: is he on grade level in reading, or writing?

Reason I ask is that if he isn't on grade level... you can absolutely push and probably receive speech in your school based on that you believe that one of the reasons that he is not on grade level is because he cannot say the sounds correctly. For example, it might be interfering with his spelling because he says sounds differently than they are actually said.
I can only speak for mine,but we just moved here to Fl from Ga. and they actually wanted to move him up,based on testing ,he reads on a 4th grade level,but I don't think they should move him up,this soon into the year.I really don't worry about it anymore,he will grow out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
 
Location: In the sunshine on a ship with a plank
3,413 posts, read 7,996,815 times
Reputation: 2219
Have either of you had a neuropsychological evaluation done on your kids? These are intensive studies that can include hearing/speech evals and will often detect any learning, developmental or other disabilities in children.

I ask because speech issues are sometimes signs of autism spectrum disorders. And before you say No way, there are many conditions that fall under the spectrum- some kids can and do speak. Most are advanced academically, even brilliant. But most of them have speech and language difficulties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 PM
 
191 posts, read 662,777 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Oh, I reread your post and didn't see you mention anything about this: is he on grade level in reading, or writing?

Reason I ask is that if he isn't on grade level... you can absolutely push and probably receive speech in your school based on that you believe that one of the reasons that he is not on grade level is because he cannot say the sounds correctly. For example, it might be interfering with his spelling because he says sounds differently than they are actually said.
He is on grade level for reading, writing and math. I do go over his spelling words with him so that he is ready for his spelling tests, but he is right on target.

Thanks so much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top