U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 AM

985 posts, read 2,546,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not to be a nit...but it's fun and fascinating and "entertaining" (did you really just say "entertaining?") when it's not your child and you don't have to think about 40 years from now, when you're dead and your child is in a state home in diapers, being abused.

When it is your child, it's a little less of a barrel of laughs or fascinating case study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I love my child dearly but I honestly have never viewed his special needs as enjoyable. Quite frankly, parenting him is exhausting and at the least, a trial in patience and certainly compassion.
Ouch! Sorry that I was trying to inject a ray of hope upon a parent who is obviously quite upset and looking for answers and some comfort.... BTW the "entertaining" stuff was in response to truely insightful observations and comments that a 9 y/o has (possibly accidentally) made... sorry if I was trying to look on the bright side of things. If the OP's child truely is a low-functioning case, then there is nothing that can be done about it other than learning coping skills and they will have to deal with that soon enough.

But fine, I will balance out my previous *up beat* statement about how myself and other school staff, while still having frustrations and challenges with educating an autistic boy and preparing him for the future, still found positive aspects about him as a person.

Moderator cut: unncessary!

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 09-27-2007 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 04:46 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,386,959 times
Cierras Mommy...

I am a parent of a daughter with Autism. We went several years with many dxs and many different meds before we found out that our daughter has Autism, she is high on the spectrum, what is called Aspergers SYndrome. I agree, do lots of research, and find a GOOD therapist for your child. Be your childs advocate.

Find out everything you need to know about Autism, and be strong. Easy for me to say, right? Easy, now. I knew there was something wrong with my baby. I died inside everytime they changed what was wrong with her, but when it was found what she had, and everything matched up, I was happy, no more guessing games.

I mourned the fact that she had Autism and then, moved on to be her Advocate. You have to do it, because a lot of the time, some schools dont know anything about it. Go online and find out what you can do in YOUR area for your daughter within the schools.

An IEP for her would be good. Now that she has an official diagnoses, they cannot deny her services, and dont let them give her less than what she deserves.

Make them give her what they would give,were it their child.

Children with Autism learn differently, and when in regular settings, and with a teacher who cannot teach them in their way, they will label a child as a child with behavuior probs.

I could go on and on forever. My little girl, she is 11 now, is getting ready to get on the bus, she got her first pimple today with Aspergers, my sweet girl... but I will leave it at this

There are so many wonderful parents here giving so much wonderful advice. A child with Autism. The same child as before, just now w a dx. Now you know why this and that have been going on, you have answers.

Cinderobyn
Prayers are with you!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,281,396 times
Exclamation Whoa, everyone...

I don't think Evlevo was suggesting "entertainment" as a ha-ha, funny thing - rather, that there ARE aspects to autism which are intriguing and quite unseen in the so-called "normal" child. Perhaps "entertaining" wasn't the best descriptive term to use, but I don't see any hostility emerging in the post from where I sit. My autistic nephew "entertains" me all the time with his antics and his very random sense of humor. I find nothing funny about autism at all, and I don't think Evlevo does either. Perhaps the word was taken a little too literally?

Living with autism 6 hours a day and living with it for a lifetime are two entirely separate things. I sympathize with parents of autistics, wherever they fall on the scale, but I can never know the daily obstacles and challenges you face. A teacher may come closer to understanding....but let's don't take one word out of the spirit in which I believe it was intended and center the discussion around that - rather, let's offer up suggestions and hope to the OP. There's so much good info on CD regarding autism - let's just focus on that, shall we?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,570 times
I wish the OP much luck with her daughter. I do care. I'm a parent and a human being.

Best wishes to you all.

Sara

Last edited by saralee; 09-27-2007 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Edited due to complaints about contents of post. Requests sent to moderator jessiegirl_98 to have both of my replies deleted.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,287,792 times
As some members have sent to me via PM, I think that we are all loosing site of the bigger picture:
This mother has just found out that her 5 year old has autism and needs support and advice.....

Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 AM

268 posts, read 1,021,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
As some members have sent to me via PM, I think that we are all loosing site of the bigger picture:
This mother has just found out that her 5 year old has autism and needs support and advice.....
AMEN....

Autism has it's ups and downs...But what about life doesn't?

God bless you all!!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post

Moderator cut: unnecessary!
Well, the moderator edited out my statement that proved I fully understand the hardships a parent faces, which is fine. I guess I'll just say though that what I have personally seen was bad enough for a mod to remove it for the sake of others, since I'm positive that it would have disturbed people. That being said, I still look upon every parent and every child that I meet as a unique and valuable individual.

The emphasis of my first post though was to get the parent(s) of a newly discovered autistic child to focus on the positive aspects (which can be numerous), and not consider this to be a "death sentance" for their child.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,287,792 times
The parents I have worked with (at first) have had to go through the mourning, as it is the "death" of the certain expectation they had for their child (not to say that autistic children can't have bright futures....I hope you all get what I'm saying here!)
The second step is getting motivated to follow up on resources, and getting the child the help they need. The good thing is that the earlier autism is diagnosed, the earlier they get services, the better off they are! Also, joining a support group is key, as this can be EXTREMELY stressful on all family members!
Then, it's working on creating realistic expectation for the future of their child. For many children with autism, it may be not too different than the future you hoped for. For others, it will need some adapting....
It's definitly a tough and draining process, yet I am thankful for the outstanding treatments that are now available that didn't exist before!

And yes, I did cut the post. I think that it would have been really upsetting, especially for someone who is just going through the first steps of this process.

Lastly, I would seriously pick up People magazine and read about Jenny McCarthy and her son with autism. She has a book out about it (I don't know how good it is) but it's helpful to join and read about others int he same situation!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,221,824 times
there was a great piece on Larry King last night. Jenny McCarthy & Holly Robinson-Pete were on. I didn't know a whole lot about autism however based on some of the information that was given, my daughter (at 6 months) was exhibiting many of the early symptoms (i.e. frequent ear infections; reflux). I stopped all her vaccinations and by 1 1/2 yrs, she had no more ear infections or reflux. She developed into a healthy young child with no further medical problems. I did resume vaccinations for her by the time she was 5 yrs. but after seeing this show, I'm beginning to really believe that vaccinations are directly linked to autism.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...treatments.cnn

Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
there was a great piece on Larry King last night. Jenny McCarthy & Holly Robinson-Pete were on. I didn't know a whole lot about autism however based on some of the information that was given, my daughter (at 6 months) was exhibiting many of the early symptoms (i.e. frequent ear infections; reflux). I stopped all her vaccinations and by 1 1/2 yrs, she had no more ear infections or reflux. She developed into a healthy young child with no further medical problems. I did resume vaccinations for her by the time she was 5 yrs. but after seeing this show, I'm beginning to really believe that vaccinations are directly linked to autism.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...treatments.cnn
As far as I can tell, there really isn't any scientific proof out there on vaccinations but there are a great deal of anecdotal evidence regarding autism/vaccinations. I think the biggest reason that that they are linked is that the same time that vaccinations occur (6mo - 1.5yrs) is when the signs of autism begin to appear. It is a natural tendency to do some soul searching and try to find out "where you went wrong", even if there was nothing you could do.

So far I think the biggest suspects for the increased rates of Autism are 1) increased pollution levels, 2) people having children later in life (30's as opposed to 20's 3) things being more "germ-free" and immune systems developing differently. 4) higher levels of mercury in food (mostly fish)

I think there is another thread on the causes of autism if you want to read more.

Last edited by Evlevo; 09-27-2007 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: added in stuff about mercury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children