U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,441,208 times

Advertisements

As far as it being a controversial dx in children, please, if you have an opportunity to read the current (October 2007) Reader's Digest, do so. The story profiles a boy who is now 11. The story is called, "What's Happening to My Son?"

Harvard Medical School says that abou 1 in 200 youngsters is affected but others dispute that claim and say it's too high. An often recommended website is the Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation. A wonderful book is The Bipolr Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder by Demitri Papolos, MD, and Janice Papolos. Dr. Papolos' office is in Westport, CT. The individual should be further evaluated by a neuropsychologist.

Bipolr Disorder in children and adults presents very differently. However, the OP can look back at some off these sources to see if she "recognizes" her now-adult son. On a good note, if he does have Bipolar Disorder, it is typically considered easier to to manage in adults as opposed to children.

The doctors that commonly believe this is being overdiagnosed feel it is hard to distinguish normal adolescent/teen angst and the symptoms of a modd disorder. In my opinion, they never lived with a child afflicted with Bipolar Disorder! agree that many, many doctors are in bed with the pharamaceutical industry (and the direct marketing to consumers is appalling) but, from Day 1 it was evident that my son was anything but neurotypical. It was painfully obvious that we were dealing with something beyond "brattiness" or "stubborness."

Also, like someone said upthread, at some point the labels are irrelevant to a degree. My son has more labels than I care to recall and many of them overlap. It's not uncommon for these conditions to be co-morbid or for the boundaires between them to blur. More importantly these days is behaviour modification. He is 13 now and we are busting our behinds to enable him to have as close to a "normal" life as possible. We don't want him to remain isolated from his peers.

Good luck.

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 AM

268 posts, read 914,580 times
My mom is bipolar and my son (10) is also. He was diagnosed about 3 years ago has been in and out of the hospital. Finally stable in meds. But one point I want to make here is that my mom says she can remember feeling so much of what my son feels now. So even though a person is diagnosed as an adult, there were probably symptoms all along.
To the OP, the advice you have heard is right. One thing, research!!!!!! Read as much as you can about meds and treatments. And question the reasoning the doc has for all treatment choices. My son was hospitalized twice for what I feel in hindsight were poor choices by the pdoc.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,441,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Your son may be retarded. Hard to face.
Moderator cut: removed, orphaned

My Mom was Bipolar and brilliant. My son is Bipolar, and I also happen to be Bipolar II, which is not to the same extreme. While my son has intellectual impairments (IQ 72) I assure you that I have above average intelligence.

Moderator cut: removed comment, orphaned
Sara

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-11-2007 at 04:15 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 18,471,587 times
I read an excellent book by the mother of Courtney Love. I would need to Google it to get her name, but it really said a lot about dealing with an adult child with this disorder. So many things I recognized from my own trials with my own daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children