Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Your schools can help if they are willing. They can refer you to places. Our son's school has been amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
Not all schools are that helpful though- I would certainly not depend on a public school district to do the right thing with regard to diagnosis- although I believe once you have that in hand they are required to accommodate your special child.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:19 PM
wjr

3 posts, read 25,946 times
We also have a 12-year-old son with Asperger's Syndrome (a form of High functioning Autism) and are living in Michigan currently. Our current school district has been working out extremely well - providing a one-on-one aid for him for the entire day which has been essential to his success.

We have been considering a move in close proximity to Research Triangle Park (Raliegh / Durham / Chapel Hill - or surrounding area - NC) but have been wondering about what can be expected for support of students with autism. Our experience has been that even with positive school district support there can be many challenges in working with the school. But, after talking to parents in various Asperger Parent Support groups, whose children attend surrounding districts, it has been clear that the kind of support that is provided can differ widely by school district - even within the same state.

Are there any comments from parents in the Raliegh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill area who have had strong positive support from their school district for their child who has Asperger's Syndrome or autistism? This would be a major factor as to where we may move. Also appreciated would be any school districts where the experience has been more negative/adversarial so at least we might be aware of districts to avoid.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 AM

38 posts, read 151,585 times
Default Interesting stuff

There's a book about Spock from Star Trek, how his character was an example of Asperger's syndrome. I can't remember names for the life of me and autism runs in my family. Maybe that's where that came from. But my mind takes pictures of phone numbers.

Many folks with Aspergers really desperately want to socialize and communicate better. They can improve greatly and learn this skill. Compassion and understanding goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
An excellent book : Autism a fathers story by Bill Davis
It really calls out the sacrifice and the determination a parent must have in order to give their autistic child the best chance to become independant or at least functional. It also calls out some things you can do to help protect them.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 AM

38 posts, read 151,585 times
Default it does sounds like aspergers

It does sound like aspergers. I don't know if a pediatrician can really diagnose it, its usually a psychologist dealing with children.

Social skills groups would help your son. And he needs to have friends, some other "aspie" children would be a start, but he could then have acceptance, but learn to relate to neurotypical kids with practice. Its a mechanical way to learn, but can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
how do you get a diagnosis on Aspergers? Ive got suspicions that my son (8) might have this. He is a wonderful boy, smart and sweet. And has the WORST time socially. He just doesnt get how to interact w/other kids. We've tried giving him different ways to get into a game w/peers, stuff to bring up and talk about, we put him in a soccer group for boys his age, and then watch heartbroken as all the other kids go off in a huge group to play, and our son gets a big empty grin on his face and swings by himself. He is brilliant at math, and has had a gift w/puzzles since he was very small. His attention to detail is incredible, and he gets very upset if there is anything "off" (yet he is fine w/his room being a disaster! lol) He prefers to be by himself for the most part. And he has the oddest way of speaking. Very very proper. Like this morning, I asked him if he "forgot" his homework on purpose...he thinks for a minute, then says "I do believe that could be quite possible, on occasion" ......when he was asked about the answer to something the other day he says "this appears to be the most appropriate solution for this paticular problem." ....and its this way all the time!!! Its kinda like talking w/an English proffesser! I have watched him try to mimic the other kids, but he doesnt do so well much of the time. He also has a very odd sort of rhythem to his speech. If he is trying to explain somethign, or tell a story of whats happened, he gets into this pattern, that just goes over and over and over. Kinda in a way like what it sounds like when patronizing someone to the point of sarcasm. he speaks two or three words...then pause.....then two or three...then pause.....then two or three...then pause....ohhh boy, it can make for a very very long story!
so, what do you all think? Am I just seeing things where there is nothing? Or could I possibly be onto something? Can a typical pediatrician say "yeah or nay" w/some tests?
btw, i have no insurance (not too uncommen anymore eh?) nothing I wont do for my child, I just wanted to get some opinions first.
Thanks so very much!!
Tiffany

Old 11-06-2007, 08:20 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
My son has Aspergers - and other kids have a hard time relating to him............
Plus he's utterly inflexible when it comes to Time or Distance "How many blocks till we are home?" "Are we closer to the grocery store or home?" "We HAVE to be home by 7 pm because that's what you said last week"

We've had a very rough couple years with our son and don't have insurance so haven't been able to take him to a good psychologist for an evaluation. My husband will be starting his career job in February so we'll be able to take him in then. Yesterday my husband heard a story on NPR and was completely struck by it because he said it was like he was discussing our son. The boy had Asperger's. I googled it because I'm not very familiar with it and the first page I brought up described our son to a T! I read your post and my son does this EVERY DAY! His friends play with him, but they think he's wierd and they don't really get him. We had to pull him out of public school at the end of kindergarten last year because his behavior was completley out of control. When you said your son said, "...because that's what you said last week" I just about cried. My son has this argument with me on a daily basis about everything. If we stay up a bit later to watch a movie he asks every day for weeks if we can do it again because "but we did it yesterday." He argues this minor points and nitpicks my words on a daily basis. I'm at my wits end with this kid and you've given me a bit of hope. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffin4java View Post
We've had a very rough couple years with our son and don't have insurance so haven't been able to take him to a good psychologist for an evaluation. My husband will be starting his career job in February so we'll be able to take him in then. Yesterday my husband heard a story on NPR and was completely struck by it because he said it was like he was discussing our son. The boy had Asperger's. I googled it because I'm not very familiar with it and the first page I brought up described our son to a T! I read your post and my son does this EVERY DAY! His friends play with him, but they think he's wierd and they don't really get him. We had to pull him out of public school at the end of kindergarten last year because his behavior was completley out of control. When you said your son said, "...because that's what you said last week" I just about cried. My son has this argument with me on a daily basis about everything. If we stay up a bit later to watch a movie he asks every day for weeks if we can do it again because "but we did it yesterday." He argues this minor points and nitpicks my words on a daily basis. I'm at my wits end with this kid and you've given me a bit of hope. Thanks!
Jiffin -

Please, please see if you can get your son into UT or another Texas institution where there is a medical school and medical center that deals with early childhood development and does the appropriate testing. Perhaps there is something in San Antonio; I'm not real clear on my Texas geography.

Many people do not know that hospitals and medical care facilities are required by law to give a certain amount of care to patients who are unable to pay, or must pay on a greatly reduced scale due to income/no insurance restrictions. Although your husband may be starting his job in February, there may be a period of time before insurance kicks in and early intervention is SO important.

Try this website Health and Human Services System or call 2-1-1 for information on the state services available for your child...I know Texas has the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and your child may qualify...or contact your local Easter Seals and they will be able to direct you to the appropriate office to speak with. My nephew is here in Arkansas and we credit Easter Seals for getting him started on the right path after his diagnosis of autism.

Good luck to you, and please let us know how it turns out...but don't put it off - your child can have a wonderful future with the appropriate diagnosis and schooling that is more geared to his situation.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Jiffin -

Please, please see if you can get your son into UT or another Texas institution where there is a medical school and medical center that deals with early childhood development and does the appropriate testing. Perhaps there is something in San Antonio; I'm not real clear on my Texas geography.

Many people do not know that hospitals and medical care facilities are required by law to give a certain amount of care to patients who are unable to pay, or must pay on a greatly reduced scale due to income/no insurance restrictions. Although your husband may be starting his job in February, there may be a period of time before insurance kicks in and early intervention is SO important.

Try this website Health and Human Services System or call 2-1-1 for information on the state services available for your child...I know Texas has the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and your child may qualify...or contact your local Easter Seals and they will be able to direct you to the appropriate office to speak with. My nephew is here in Arkansas and we credit Easter Seals for getting him started on the right path after his diagnosis of autism.

Good luck to you, and please let us know how it turns out...but don't put it off - your child can have a wonderful future with the appropriate diagnosis and schooling that is more geared to his situation.
My husband will be working for the FAA as an air traffic controller and we're not sure where they're going to send us yet. We're really hoping to go to Oregon. But to get started on a process that could take several months seems pointless when we're preparing to leave. I think it'd be wiser to wait until we move and then dive in. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. We're both completely worn out. We don't know anyone here so babysitters aren't available. I've heard getting appointments for services like that take months. I know once he gets his job and we get moved we'll be able to have our insurance cover much of the services and save those free resources for those who are in more need than us. Am I off base on this? Kind of confused I guess.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I'm sorry - I guess I misunderstood and didn't realize you were leaving Texas.

I'm just the sort of personality that I think I'd have to know as a parent... then you'd be able to transfer your son's medical records to wherever it is that you end up...I think getting him properly diagnosed is your first giant step, but only you can know the right road for your family.

As far as babysitters - there is respite care available in some states, and it doesn't even have to be someone who is from the state - it can be anyone - a friend, a relative - and the state will pay for it. If you're waiting on a state person, I don't know about anywhere else, but in Arkansas the waiting list is over a year....so if he is diagnosed, please sign up for respite care right away. My sister didn't, thinking she would never need it, and now she's way out from getting a short weekend away, which she could really use.

Your son's welfare is your first concern. Don't worry about using funds right now that someone "needier" could use...your child has needs too, and they really are immediate - the sooner he can be diagnosed, the sooner everyone's life will hopefully change for the better with intervention...just don't think about that. You will be paying taxes soon enough for someone else's child to have services...sort of a pay it forward thing!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 PM

Thank you, SamIAm. You're right. I've known for a while something was wrong and thought it was adhd. We've had him out of school since May, homeschooling and doing what we can at home to see if we can handle it without medications, but it's not getting any better. We're wearing down. The only upside to it is that the problems are now contained to home instead of a school dealing with it and disturbing class time. He's so smart that he's flying through curriculum and so if I need a break from teaching him it's okay to stop for a day or a week. I'm going to check things out and see what can be done before we leave here. I read some things online and I checked out a book called "Finding Ben" by Barbara LaSalle today. Though my son is not as severe as the boy in this book, I'm seeing lots of frightening similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children