Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 01:44 AM

11 posts, read 53,433 times

Advertisements

I have a son who is seven years old, who has Autism he is non verbal, he is mild to severe. I am considering a few other therapies, rdi therapy and the sunrise program, does anyone know if these therapies are any good, worth doing, and which one is better to pursue. Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:35 AM

733 posts, read 1,922,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Cole View Post
I have a son who is seven years old, who has Autism he is non verbal, he is mild to severe. I am considering a few other therapies, rdi therapy and the sunrise program, does anyone know if these therapies are any good, worth doing, and which one is better to pursue. Thanks for your help.
I think it comes down to finding what works for the child. There are so many ways to approach learning and you basically have to find what works for your child. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to autism. I think each program has something that may be beneficial to your childs learning but limiting your child to just that one form/program may also limit how much he can learn. Take from each what you see can help your child to progress......

Old 12-26-2008, 09:53 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,215,916 times
If he is non-verbal, I would try to look into a program that utilizes PECS. Have you tried this with him?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,219,780 times
Erik, I think you are on the right track asking about the type of therapy and if they are worthwhile to pursue. You should go to this site, which has the book Educating Children with Autism online. The link is here: Educating Children with Autism

It has research based data on many different therapies. You need to look at what therapies get results based on data.

PECS, the Picture Exchange Communication System, is an augmentative communication system that can be utilized with most therapies. It is explained in chapter five of the text, Development of Communication on page 59. Its important the your child's speech language pathologist work with you and your child's teacher to make sure you know how to implement it and that it is consistent across settings.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,715 times
Arrow diet and autism

just curious if any parents with autistic children here have tried dietary management (along with other therapies, of course)- i'm thinking of jenny mccarthy's book as an example---

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

32 posts, read 115,340 times
How old is he? I would definitely try PECS or even sign language. I know some autistic children that can sign. Those who do not have Multiple Schelerosis or Cerberal Palsy can usually sign. GL

Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,674,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy22 View Post
just curious if any parents with autistic children here have tried dietary management (along with other therapies, of course)- i'm thinking of jenny mccarthy's book as an example---
I have a cousin who is high functioning. He has shown modest but definite and noticeable improvement since strict adherence to a gluten-free diet began, however, it is impossible for me to make any observation that would not be purely anecdotal as there have been other environmental and educational changes within the same time-frame.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have a cousin who is high functioning. He has shown modest but definite and noticeable improvement since strict adherence to a gluten-free diet began, however, it is impossible for me to make any observation that would not be purely anecdotal as there have been other environmental and educational changes within the same time-frame.

I could not agree more. Too many people credit GFCF for their child's improvements; there is simply no proof that GFCF does anything except increase a child's risk for malabsorption of much-needed minerals and vitamins. If the proper nutrition is not given correctly (i.e. calcium supplements with a fat, for instance), the child can suffer from malnutrition--presenting in ways such as thin hair, cavities, blood issues, immune issues, brittle nails, dry skin, poor vision, and brittle bones.

It's a risk I'm not willing to take. Not at this stage of development.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,911,144 times
My son's struggle is his speech also. In other areas he is "normal" or should I say, like other typical kids. He still jabbers like a 2-year old (and he's 5) but he has slowly made some progress with communicating his intent, wants and needs....he's getting there. I dunno...well he is in an autistic program in school and that includes the speech therapist there. In your situation, I guess how about you try the ABA therapy?

I'm right there with you about this situation.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM

12 posts, read 33,125 times
Default Autism Research Institute

Please visit Autism.com

40 years of proven Autism Research with bio-medical treatment options. They are a non-profit and not tied to any special interests.

They also offer scientific data to support recovery including those with severe Gut issues in which special diets have been proven to help.

Keeping in mind not every child is going to respond the same.

It is important to find a Physician who recognizes the underlying medical issues, properly tests and treats accordingly.

Defeat Autism Now provides a list of practitioners you may wish to contact.

Please also visit talkaboutcuringautism.org and Generationrescue.org - they offer a wealth of information to help parents and caregivers weed through the large amount of information and misinformation.

Best of luck, Andrea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children