U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 PM

13,781 posts, read 23,755,254 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My wife and I have raised three kids, and our youngest is a daughter with Downs Syndrome. She is now in her early 20's, and pretty low functioning, can't read or use money, can't really count nor do the alphabet.

Just want to let others who are going through the process of raising limited kids to know that they are just as much a plus as a minus. Getting to try and understand how to read their thoughts and feelings through body language has been a real education, and our ability to communicate through indirect means is always growing.

My screen name, NewtoCA, really resulted from our search for a decent program for adults with limited mental capacities. Our old state, Ohio, had a program which we felt to be inadequate to meet her needs, so we went on a USA wide search for a decent and sustainable program. Initially, we found a great fit in suburban Minneapolis, but unfortunately they substantially revised the program in 2004, just before we were preparing to move. Subsequently, we found a couple of excellent programs in California and in Dutchess County, New York. Since our kids have been inclined to migrate to Los Angeles, we decided to be somewhat closer to them so we could continue our relationships, and hopefully be with grandkids someday. In addition, as we eventually age to the point of needing some assistance, or are no longer here, perhaps they could assist a bit in assuring she is still well taken care of institutionally.

No complaints or concerns here, just letting you know that I also share in the concerns of those dealing with difficult matters beyond your normal control.

Best of luck all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 62,077 times
Default Working with Down Syndome adult

Hi,

I was online searching for more info on working with Down's and seen your post and had to write.
I have worked with people with needs on and off for a number of years, but my first down's client. I find her delightful, funny, caring and so wonderful. I work at a great group home in Ohio. It is a small home with only five clients which 4 of them have lived together for over 17 years. The home cares about there charges as well as staff. A very homely feeling.
The reason for my note is, my client is going through some mood swings which I have been told she is part of Down's that there their so emotional.
I want to better help her, could you give me some pointers, or some sites to right? I am greatful for any info you could share.

SP101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Hi all!

My wife and I have raised three kids, and our youngest is a daughter with Downs Syndrome. She is now in her early 20's, and pretty low functioning, can't read or use money, can't really count nor do the alphabet.

Just want to let others who are going through the process of raising limited kids to know that they are just as much a plus as a minus. Getting to try and understand how to read their thoughts and feelings through body language has been a real education, and our ability to communicate through indirect means is always growing.

My screen name, NewtoCA, really resulted from our search for a decent program for adults with limited mental capacities. Our old state, Ohio, had a program which we felt to be inadequate to meet her needs, so we went on a USA wide search for a decent and sustainable program. Initially, we found a great fit in suburban Minneapolis, but unfortunately they substantially revised the program in 2004, just before we were preparing to move. Subsequently, we found a couple of excellent programs in California and in Dutchess County, New York. Since our kids have been inclined to migrate to Los Angeles, we decided to be somewhat closer to them so we could continue our relationships, and hopefully be with grandkids someday. In addition, as we eventually age to the point of needing some assistance, or are no longer here, perhaps they could assist a bit in assuring she is still well taken care of institutionally.

No complaints or concerns here, just letting you know that I also share in the concerns of those dealing with difficult matters beyond your normal control.

Best of luck all!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM

What type of mood swings are you seeing? What is the basic personality, and how are these mood swings different from how she normally behaves. You mention she is "part Down's", and I haven't heard that term before. By part Down's, do you mean she has a mosaic Down's?

How old is your client, and is she normally interactive?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,291,979 times
I have a 23 yr old daughter with Down's syndrome and have never been told that mood swings or being emotional is a part of the syndrome. In fact, she is the daughter most like me in terms of personality, and I have two other daughters. However, she does, I have been told by repeated experts, have a much higher ability to receive and process information (understanding) than she does to communicate or analyze it in conversation (expressive), and this results in her having a very low threshold for frustration--she is very aware of her limitations and this is demoralizing to her. This means she needs a very stable, calm environment and a lot of reassurance in dealing with situations. Transitions or changes in activities, preferences, or environment are difficult.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 27,791 times
Default Downs

Hi. My son is almost 20 and he is has Downs, many friends with Downs, and even neighbors with downs. Down people have different personalities that have nothing to do with Downs. Me, I have a handicap because I really don't know how this works. I was interested in finding out what's new with Downs (considering my son is entering adulthood, transition time), looking at diet news, health news, etc. and stumbled here to read Special101. I found several comments about girls about my son's age. I just want to talk.
Bye.
Enjoy today.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM

I am sorry it took me so long to answer, I have gotten on full time at the home and have been very busy. The Lady I work with that has Downs, is very moody, she pouts, wants her way, will cry at a drop of a hat. My boss says this is normal behavior for Downs. I am trying to read everything I can and learn more to be able to help her.
Speople101

Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Hi there,

I work at a private group home with five adults disabilties. It's a wonderful place, the gang has been together for over 20 years.
The reason I wrote is because we have a Downs lady that lives there at the home and I have seen a lot of mood swings and emotional ups and downs. I am searching as well for answers. There is some wonderful sites and here is our home page familyhaven.org I am sure my boss Rachel can answer some of your questions. here is my email address hldawson3@yahoo.com I will see what info I can find out as well.
special101

Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 AM

i am sorry I did not answer right away, I am working full time at the home and the gang keeps me so busy. Thank you for writing, we are still seeing alot of emotional ups and downs, but my boss feels its normal with Downs. This lady I am speaking of that has Downs can read and write about First grade level. We teach computer skills, as well as refreshers on money, reading and writing skills. She has a job out side the house that she goes to 5 days a week. We go every where and do limitless actives. I am searching for some even ground her, learn the whys of her behavoir of her emotions.
All her needs are being met, she likes her job, likes of out side interests and hobbies. The older staff say she is just playing me for attention (yes she does this with other staff as well.) She gets very moody and snappy with everyone in the house. I have a wonderful boss that tries so hard to see to all our peoples needs and cares and well as the staff I work with.

I don't know what type of Downs she has.

If you know if any info or sites I could read, please write hldawson3@yahoo.com or post. thank you again for writing I am sorry that it took me so long to answer

Special101

Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 PM

I kind of found this link to be pretty helpful and accurate in describing Down Syndrome adult behavior. The behavior discussion begins in the lower half of the page, just below the diagram of lipid production:

Welcome! Riverbend Down Syndrome Parent Support Group

Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 13,735 times
I found all of this information very useful. Thank you. I am a new step mom to a 36 year old daughter who has downs. Just trying to learn as much as I possibly can. Thanks again for the information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children