Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

John Robert Caravella, 5-Year-Old With Autism, Denied Lunch By School (VIDEO)

Quote:
John Robert Caravella, a 5-year-old kindergartner with autism, was denied a $2.30 meal by Cliffwood Elementary School in Matawan because his parents had yet to settle an $8 charge that was just a few days overdue, reports the Newark Star-Ledger.
Both parents worked in the town where the school is, but they were not called. They could easily have brought in the $8.00

More detail here and some other stories

Boy Who Can't Talk Denied Lunch By School | Care2 Causes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
That just isn't right. No child should go without lunch for a meesly $8. At my daughters school, if a parent owes a certain amount, I'm not sure what it is, and hasn't paid the child will get a cheese sandwich and a milk. They should have given him something.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
On the 4th day of school? How could the parents owe $8.00 unless they hadn't paid anything?
Both sides are at fault here. The school, for not providing any food, even a basic sandwich, and the parents of a special needs child, for not making sure they understood the payment system. Taking it one step further, is this special needs child sent to the cafeteria without any adult supervision?

Seems like there is plenty of blame to spread around.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
That just isn't right. No child should go without lunch for a meesly $8. At my daughters school, if a parent owes a certain amount, I'm not sure what it is, and hasn't paid the child will get a cheese sandwich and a milk. They should have given him something.
I live in NJ and our district works the same way. If we owe too much money on the kids accounts they won't let them buy the hot lunch, but they give them an option of a cheese or PB&J and milk and I think they toss some graham crackers or a piece of fruit in there as well. They will not let the kids go without eating. There was one time my son's account got messed up when our check wasn't processed and posted in a timely manner and his Kindergarten teacher went and had the principal authorize having him served the lunch anyway.

It sounds like there was a serious breakdown in communication over the account, but that still isn't an excuse as to why they let the kid go hungry, regardless of his medical issues.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
This is not right at all, and especially because this child is severely autistic. Yes, the parent should be keeping up on the money owed for lunch, but it is the beginning of the school year and there is no valid reason for this. I hope these parents raved bloody hell over this.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
On the 4th day of school? How could the parents owe $8.00 unless they hadn't paid anything?
Both sides are at fault here. The school, for not providing any food, even a basic sandwich, and the parents of a special needs child, for not making sure they understood the payment system. Taking it one step further, is this special needs child sent to the cafeteria without any adult supervision?

Seems like there is plenty of blame to spread around.
In my school district, as in the school districts near me, a child is never left to go hungry. It is our policy that if the child's lunch account is overdrawn they get a cheese or PB & J sandwich and a milk (and usually the cooks add some fruit).

Now, we have had an occasional problem with a child refusing to eat the food that is offered to them. For example, they left their bag lunch of cookies, chips, gummy treats, and juice at home and refused to eat the sandwich and drink the white milk given to them at school, but thankfully that is pretty rare.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I had a slight run-in with our school cafeteria just last week.

We had a credit from early June till September. I let my kids buy lunch only 1 day a week and they buy milk when they bring their own lunch. I usually send a $50 check when I figure we are getting low on credit but sometimes there is a lag from when the check gets from the District Office (where they ask them to be sent) to the cafeteria manager. One daughter was refused milk because the worker said she owed $6.50. My daughter was embarrassed and thirsty and had tears in her eyes when she handed me the slip from the cafeteria.

I immediately got the manager on the phone and told him to never tell my child she could not eat or get milk because of a meager amount. I understand they can't be giving food away but this is not what happened. The manager simply had been so busy with a new school year he had not had time to post all the credits from the district. They run a tally every day and I had him send me the sheet so I could see what was happening. Turns out there was another child with a similar name who was using up our credit.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to send a note home that your account is less than $10 than to wait and send a note home that you owe $6.50?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had a slight run-in with our school cafeteria just last week.

We had a credit from early June till September. I let my kids buy lunch only 1 day a week and they buy milk when they bring their own lunch. I usually send a $50 check when I figure we are getting low on credit but sometimes there is a lag from when the check gets from the District Office (where they ask them to be sent) to the cafeteria manager. One daughter was refused milk because the worker said she owed $6.50. My daughter was embarrassed and thirsty and had tears in her eyes when she handed me the slip from the cafeteria.

I immediately got the manager on the phone and told him to never tell my child she could not eat or get milk because of a meager amount. I understand they can't be giving food away but this is not what happened. The manager simply had been so busy with a new school year he had not had time to post all the credits from the district. They run a tally every day and I had him send me the sheet so I could see what was happening. Turns out there was another child with a similar name who was using up our credit.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to send a note home that your account is less than $10 than to wait and send a note home that you owe $6.50?
Actually, many school systems now have pay online systems. You can get an email reminder when the account is low as well. Ours does this - I am not sure if the funds are direct from a bank account or if they are from paypal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children