U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM

268 posts, read 914,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Real bipolar is usually diagnosed in the late teens and not Bipolar II. I think bipolar II is a fake/overused diagnosis as is add/adhd. Just my opinion. And yes, a lot of normal males are medicated because there are so many females in the school system and want a feminized school situation. Poor boys today. My husband, a smart guy who makes a lot of $$$ in the real world would be diagnosed with many disorders if he were to be a kid today.

Moms...if you have a masculine boy...don't punish him for it. He may be the savior of our future.
Wow, come live in my world! I WISH my son was a little more masculine instead of crying at the drop of a hat!

This thread was started to discuss the frustration of parents who receive messages from people like you who obviously have NO clue as to what it is really like to see this problem in children. Perhaps you should find another thread to post on....your attitude isn't welcome on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,297,354 times
Exclamation Folks, please settle down....

...it's a touchy subject - it's all opinions - it's a forum. Let's try to receive the information that is relevant to our particular situation and not dwell on that which isn't, okay?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM

I wasn't trying to get ugly...it is so hard when it is your baby! No offense meant.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM

3,921 posts, read 7,718,733 times
Ugh! I came here to the "special needs" board because I feel like a might have a 5 yr old daughter with bi-polar disorder. I seem to be reading a lot of negative opinions and arguments from people who just repeat the same 'ol mantra of that all of these disorders are just made up in some way or just over diagnosed. I ask because sadly, this specific disorder runs in my husband's family quite strongly and I've noticed since the age of 2 that my daughter might not be like other children (I have 3 others that are all developing normally, so I'm not some panicky new mom!). Any information or resources which might be of help on this disorder from people in the same boat would be great! Any ideas on who, what, when this sort of thing should be appropriate for a diagnosis? Should I just not fret about her behavior yet and wait until she's much older before I act upon seeing someone about this?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,933,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
I get so frustrated when I see things on television about the overdiagnosis of bipolar disorder in children...Yes, it probably is, but what about the children who really have it???? They are not addressed at all. If you mention that your child is BP, people just kind of give you that look...."yeah right! You can't control you kid" or "You just want to medicate" I know for a fact that my son is. But b/c every child who is angry or moody seems to get the diagnosis, we get lumped into the category of "overdiagnosis". For once, I would like to see a news show cover what it is like to live our lives for one day....not just focus on medications.
Pharmaceutical and "keep you under our tumb" BS! Can't believe how many people fall for it... But why am I surprised... Guess there's already a generation raised on Ritalin in this country, isn't there?! Kids are being kids! They're SUPPOSED to be kids! And all these "disorders"... I'm pretty sure that at least half of us can be "diagnosed" if we feel like it.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:57 PM

214 posts, read 432,317 times
Quote:
Wow, come live in my world! I WISH my son was a little more masculine instead of crying at the drop of a hat!

This thread was started to discuss the frustration of parents who receive messages from people like you who obviously have NO clue as to what it is really like to see this problem in children. Perhaps you should find another thread to post on....your attitude isn't welcome on this one.

I think his reply is rude and un-called for . Because I too feel that these conditions no matter how real are being over diagnoed .

Kids have all kinds of emotions, some are called silly , crybaby, spastic and all kinds of lables ,but most grow out of it . very few need the meds they are given today .

When my daughter was born she never slept more than 4 hours ! She kept me up for 4 long years and through two pregnancies . The dr.s wanted her to take 1mil. valium when she was 2 1/2 . I said no way will my baby take valiums . I had to put locks on top of doors and lock us in, she was so hyper she was always busy . She got out the door and police found here miles from where we lived 4 hours later walking down the street . I had to use child harness to let her go outside .

When she turned 4 she was almost normal, at 5 she was fine,now she's in her 40s and never had another problem .

My 3nd grandkid cried every single minute of her waking hours, never in my life seen one like her . Nothing would shut her up and you had to wear ear plugs if you watched her for relief. She woke up crying ,cried all day, went to bed crying ,never shut up . Dr. called it ." Crying Syndrome" . There isn't much worse than a crying kid who is crying for nothing . We sometimes slept in the yard for relief . She turned 4 and stopped crying , no reason ,no change, just stopped. Dr. wanted her on drugs too ,she never took them ,she is grown now and was on honor role through school.

I don't care what people say, most kinds grow out of it , this is a quick result society ,instant fix .

Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM

20 posts, read 41,385 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to get ugly...it is so hard when it is your baby! No offense meant.
I understand your frustration, and worries and concerns about your son. I am writing this from the perspective of the bipolar child because I am one of those. So sorry if I'm biased. I'm 22 and live with my parents. I was first diagnosed with depression at 17, then bipolar at 19 when I had my first manic episode. I've been an inpatient and outpatient more times than I care to remember. My parents have had very challenging times with me. I felt terribly guilty for the horrible stress they went through with me. They've been hard times for us all, obviously myself included.

My best advice is try not to worry too much and I know this is very difficult. Just keep offering your love and concern, and especially encouragement. Try not to lose hope: things CAN and DO get better. It's horrible, bipolar disorder, and many times I lost hope......But things got better for me even when I didn't think they could. Recovery IS possible....It's a rocky road though; it's definitely no walk in the park; I'd say it's more of a journey/process rather than a destination, but it CAN be managed/coped with even though it's hard. Wishing you and your son all the best....

Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,554,019 times
My daughter was a handful when she was young. She had a speech impediment and was diagnosed (by a nutball teacher) with hyper activity. She would not sit still and would fall out of her chair during class. The teacher was pushing hard for us to put her on Ritalin. Another teacher, with many more years experience came to our aid and suggested we try a cup of coffee in the morning before kindergarten class. That worked wonders. She grew up, still hyper, but has two advanced degrees and a wonderful career. Sometimes time will be the best choice.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 PM

206 posts, read 555,042 times
Angry mom of a autism child

Quote:
I would love to see it!
I got to thinking about it this afternoon. Autism and asthma diagnoses are on the rise, but you dont hear people running shows about how it is just overdiagnosis. Why is it with BP and ADD?

beacause people dont care about kids with autism and it cost more to treat them i know my son is 7 and its very hard to get any help

Old 01-10-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Pharmaceutical and "keep you under our tumb" BS! Can't believe how many people fall for it... But why am I surprised... Guess there's already a generation raised on Ritalin in this country, isn't there?! Kids are being kids! They're SUPPOSED to be kids! And all these "disorders"... I'm pretty sure that at least half of us can be "diagnosed" if we feel like it.
I will gladly give you my child for a day and you tell me if he is just "being a kid" I have two "regular" kids as well. The difference is between them and my son is night and day. I wonder how you would try to discredit the research that proves that the brains of children with ADD and Bipolar look different than other children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children