U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 PM

14,754 posts, read 15,022,317 times

Advertisements

The problem is that you really cannot rank by state. Within each state, each county or school district will be different. Some places (especially rural ones) simply don't have any therapists nearby. Other places have really great therapists and still others have some really bad therapists (the variations depend on the training, but also on the personality of the therapists as some may not relate to your particular child).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 984 times
Default ABA Therapy-Arkansas

I live in Arkansas and I have a son that is 12 years old and his dx is severe on the Autism Spectrum he is considered non-verbal. We are from South West Arkansas and in that part of the state there is no information on how to help your children with special needs at all they offered my son speech therapy and occupational therapy and physical therapy during school hours only. Well it did not take much time that PT said he would not cooperate with him so they could not continue his therapy. I was not informed that at the end of the school year that it was best for him to continue therapy through the summer.. I learned all of this when we moved to central arkansas and it is night and day up here they do give more information up here we do attend therapy through the summer and he is making great improvement but that is because there is so much more information that I can find up here in central arkansas. I do admit I did not find much about ABA Therapy up here. So to change that I am now going to college for my ABA therapy degree I believe that if a parent wants to learn how to help there children in this way I want to help in anyway I can. I also believe that Arkansas needs to have free meetings to the parents in different towns to help the parents with questions and get feedback to make Arkansas more knowledgeable about what problems us as parents with special needs children do face. Arkansas needs more communication for parents. Lets change this

Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 PM

14,754 posts, read 15,022,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonamcc View Post
I live in Arkansas and I have a son that is 12 years old and his dx is severe on the Autism Spectrum he is considered non-verbal. We are from South West Arkansas and in that part of the state there is no information on how to help your children with special needs at all they offered my son speech therapy and occupational therapy and physical therapy during school hours only. Well it did not take much time that PT said he would not cooperate with him so they could not continue his therapy. I was not informed that at the end of the school year that it was best for him to continue therapy through the summer.. I learned all of this when we moved to central arkansas and it is night and day up here they do give more information up here we do attend therapy through the summer and he is making great improvement but that is because there is so much more information that I can find up here in central arkansas. I do admit I did not find much about ABA Therapy up here. So to change that I am now going to college for my ABA therapy degree I believe that if a parent wants to learn how to help there children in this way I want to help in anyway I can. I also believe that Arkansas needs to have free meetings to the parents in different towns to help the parents with questions and get feedback to make Arkansas more knowledgeable about what problems us as parents with special needs children do face. Arkansas needs more communication for parents. Lets change this
Arkansas doesn't have a lot of ABA therapy centers.

Here's a map
https://www.autismspeaks.org/resourc...20%28ABA%29/AR

Here is one article about services:
Arkansas Autism Connection supplies ABA therapy to children of n - KOAM TV 7

Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 6,120 times
This list made me laugh too! I was a military wife before I became an advocate and my family has lived in Hawaii, South Carolina, New York and North Carolina with my autistic child. Hawaii and New York were both very good- my son was diagnosed through the school system with great services in both places. South Carolina was horrible- I cannot list in this post the number of horrors we endured educationally. Suffice to say I was not happy with the school system, the principal, the services, the School Board...etc. When we enlisted the help of a wonderful consultant through the Autism Society she took one look at my son's IEP and said, (and I quote) "It's crap." We moved within 9 months. North Carolina has been better, but I am also contending their ability to provide my son a Free and Appropriate Public Education based on his needs.

These experiences prompted me to become an Autism Advocate/Consultant. There is a great deal of difference between states, counties, and even schools themselves! All schools are required to provide a Free and Appropriate Public Education for all children however. Legally parents have a right to sue the county school system for not providing a Free and Appropriate Public Education (you can hire a lawyer or go through Legal Aid) and can ask for 1) additional educational services provided free through the county 2) legal fees and 3) private school tuition. As a parent you must advocate for your child's rights as the schools may not.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:12 PM

127 posts, read 185,141 times
Good post! I am training to be an advocate now. I do it for my kids and there need to be more advocates out there for others!

Old 03-19-2017, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapedInAL View Post
I now live in Alabama and previously lived in Ohio. In Alabama there is there is not public funding for services if your child has an IQ over 60 (yes, 60, you can have an IQ so low the Supreme Court says you can't be executed, and still not qualify for services).

In Ohio services in school were dependent upon school district and varied widely. I know there was a huge variation in out of school services due to the fact that funding for such things falls under the auspices of the county Board of Developmental Disabilities . We lived near a county line. My son had a friend he met at social skills therapy who lived in a neighboring county who could not get many of the services my son could. We had things that theoretically would be paid for by the county, but there were no providers in the county that were a reasonable distance from us, but ones in another county that were near our house, but the county would not pay for those providers.
I'm sure services in school always depend on the district and their special ed program. I would, however, like to point out that Ohio has the Ohio Autism Scholarship. Any child with an Autism diagnosis and an IEP gets a $27,000 scholarship to use for a private school of their choice. (As long as it is accredited, of course.) My son goes to a school that places a heavy focus on ABA therapy and it doesn't cost us a dime. We did have to move into the city, as these schools aren't available in rural areas. His hours as a preschooler are 11:30-4 and his classroom has four children. Last year he was in a classroom of two, but they felt he was really for thestep up class. I have been researching to try to see if other states provide similar vouchers, but I haven't seen anything that compares to ohios program. You'd be crazy to move from Ohio.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 PM

635 posts, read 306,923 times
I'm cracking up at New Mexico. They are terrible with special needs. We moved because of it. Can't believe they ranked that high! Doesn't make any sense honestly.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 PM

13,098 posts, read 1,723,687 times
I dont believe this list because the Land of Enchantment is so highly ranked.New Mexico is a bad place for special needs.Texas is not the best for special needs either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children