Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:02 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times

Advertisements

My sons are affected by too much noise and chaos like in classroom as well as the lighting. They are also over sensitive to certain type touch and pain. My oldest son broke his collar bone not once, but twice in the same spot and was not even dramatic at all, but if that kid get a pimple on his head and you mess with it he about goes through the ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:46 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
My sons are affected by too much noise and chaos like in classroom as well as the lighting. They are also over sensitive to certain type touch and pain. My oldest son broke his collar bone not once, but twice in the same spot and was not even dramatic at all, but if that kid get a pimple on his head and you mess with it he about goes through the ceiling.
My son's the same way. He broke his arm when he was 3 and was surprisingly calm the whole 30 minutes to the hospital and the 30 mins he had to wait for pain meds. But Heaven forbid he get a sliver or stub his toe! He also cannot handle loud noises or even mildly irritating noises. Flourescent lighting seems to be problematic for him too. These things will cause him to cover his ears, close his eyes, and sit down on the floor literally brought to tears.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Sounds like your children may have sensory processing disorder. There's a lot of info on the web, also many good books including The Out of Sync Child.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Sounds like your children may have sensory processing disorder. There's a lot of info on the web, also many good books including The Out of Sync Child.
Yeah, been doing lots of research. Can't do much else until hubby gets his job and we get insurance again in the next couple months.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffin4java View Post
Yeah, been doing lots of research. Can't do much else until hubby gets his job and we get insurance again in the next couple months.
Have you requested help through your school district? At the very least you're entitled to an evaluation.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Have you requested help through your school district? At the very least you're entitled to an evaluation.

Definitly. Plus, check out if there are any medical programs for uninsured children in your state. Many states have them, and they actually offer better health care reinbursement for mental health than many private insurance companies. If not, there are generally free hospitals that might offer these services. As the other poster said, if your child needs this, he can get evaluated through the school and receive appropriate services for free.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Definitly. Plus, check out if there are any medical programs for uninsured children in your state. Many states have them, and they actually offer better health care reinbursement for mental health than many private insurance companies. If not, there are generally free hospitals that might offer these services. As the other poster said, if your child needs this, he can get evaluated through the school and receive appropriate services for free.
We're actually moving out of state in February so there's really no point in jumping through all the hoops to get it. We have two vehicles that are financed and that makes it difficult to get assistance here too. Hubby will be working for the FAA and along with that comes good insurance, so we're just holding out until then. Thanks for the ideas though.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I have and they seem to think that because he was getting good grades that he didn't qualify for anything. He was a constant disruption in class and I was constantly getting calls home and notes home, literally on a daily basis. That wasn't enough. I decided to just pull him out and homeschool him until we move because it wasn't worth going into a FAPE war with a school district I'm leaving in a few months. I know my laws really well because I transcribe Special Education Hearings, so I'm well prepared to fight for him once we get to our permanent district. It's just frustrating that the schools here see tons of red flags but refuse to offer help. Thanks for the replies!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,136 times
My 4 year old granddaughter is also very afraid of the toliet flushing especially in public rest rooms. She starts screaming as soon as we walk in and saying don't flush. She is also afraid of balloons, bubble gum, car horns, just about any startling noise. The toilet issue has just started.

I have often wondered if she didn't have asperger, as she has only started talking this last year and always in her own little world. When she was smaller she would never answer or respond to her name being called.

Her parents insist she is fine.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,491 times
I'm 26 and have Aspergers. I hate loud noises: fire alarms, high pitched whistles, etc.
I also hate the sun, and the heat! By God, don't give me the heat! It makes me violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children