U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times

Advertisements

If your child (or you) have sound sensitivity, it is possible that there is some sensory processing dysfunction. The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz is a good book to start with to figure out what exactly is happening. A good OT can help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,452 times
my daughter doesnt like load noises like cutting the grass or putting up curtines up and shes 3 going on 4 in july. im going to get her dignoised with this issue

Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,452 times
my daughter is 3 going on 4 in july and she doesnt like loud noises like cutting the grass of putting up curtines im going to get her diganoised with this issue

Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM

53 posts, read 102,543 times
My son, 12 y/o w/AS, does not like loud noises either. He wears noise blocking headphones around the tractor because it backfires. He also shrieks and covers his ears with a whistle or buzzer at a basketball game, or sirens, though he loves to watch the fire trucks in the parade...he has his ears covered the whole time they are going by though! I find that if he can control the volume, he is OK, like with his music. He was tested for CAPD, and was found to have an extreme intolerance to background noises. He talks very loudly at times and does not realize it, because he is only trying to talk above all of the noises he hears so loudly, like the hum of a fan, or the tires turning on the road, or pages turning in a book, or a pencil writing on paper, etc.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
I have read your post and it sounds so much like my son Kaden. He has just started school this week and its been a nightmare - he is terrified of the toilet at school and won't go. He will hold on till he can't hold it no more and then go wee outside in the playground - so embarrassing when I go get him from school.

Do they ever get over the sound sensitivity at all?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nikki67 View Post
I have read your post and it sounds so much like my son Kaden. He has just started school this week and its been a nightmare - he is terrified of the toilet at school and won't go. He will hold on till he can't hold it no more and then go wee outside in the playground - so embarrassing when I go get him from school.

Do they ever get over the sound sensitivity at all?
Have you tried Listening Therapy? This might help with the sound sensitivity. It can be a bit expensive though.

Sound Therapy for Children

The Listening Program - Auditory Processing Therapy Program

Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,608 times
my 3 yr old son loves bob the builder but when i took him to see bob live at theatre, he sat with his eyes shut hands over his ears and kept sayin he wanted to go home. It was the true moment i realised my baby was different. When i listen to my stereo i have to have the volume very low and slowly turn it up and all his fav songs are slow ones, he does not like lorries passing him. I don't trust my doctor to talk to what do do i wish i knew for my sons sake

Old 10-22-2011, 03:19 PM

my 3 yr old son loves bob the builder but when i took him to see bob live at theatre, he sat with his eyes shut hands over his ears and kept sayin he wanted to go home. It was the true moment i realised my baby was different. When i listen to my stereo i have to have the volume very low and slowly turn it up and all his fav songs are slow ones, he does not like lorries passing him. I don't trust my doctor to talk to what to do, i wish i knew for my sons sake:

Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan23 View Post
my 3 yr old son loves bob the builder but when i took him to see bob live at theatre, he sat with his eyes shut hands over his ears and kept sayin he wanted to go home. It was the true moment i realised my baby was different. When i listen to my stereo i have to have the volume very low and slowly turn it up and all his fav songs are slow ones, he does not like lorries passing him. I don't trust my doctor to talk to what do do i wish i knew for my sons sake
Noise Sensitivity does not mean autism or aspergers though it can be a part of either. Read The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz and you will get a good sense of which areas your son has deficits in. Sensory Processing Disorder can happen without autism or with autism. It is possible that this is hyperacusis, though the condition is relatively rare.

What to do about hearing sensitivity:

Start with an ENT and mention the sound problems you have seen.

When should you worry about your child's sensitivity to noise? | OregonLive.com

Next if the ENT cannot find anything and you are still having problems, you can try an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician.

They should be able to tease out whether or not autism or sensory processing disorder are problems. Treatment for SPD would involve a good Occupational Therapist versed in SPD.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 AM

this is very help ful thanks i had nightmares this week with fire works night. i got small fire works suitable for young ones but after the first one he wanted to go inside. i took him to his room to watch from window but he hid in corner with hands over his ears repeating i dont like fireworks so we stoped after only letting three off. i made sure he was asleep on actual fireworks night. on the lead up to the night i tried to get him used to fire/w by showing him them on the internet i played games with him in which u created fire/w shows i made him wear headphones and increased the sound in order to get him used to them he seemed to like it but big noise he hated it im just over the moon to hear that it may not be autism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children