U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 PM

4,947 posts, read 2,284,563 times

Advertisements

A synopsis of my posts; #195 & #199:

Autism: Is a pervasive developmental delay involving reciprocal social interaction skills, communication skills & the presence of stereotyped behavior, interests and activities.

Although there is no single genetic cause for ASD, there is evidence suggesting that the disorder is highly heritable.

Further data indicates that in addition to genetic predisposition, dysfunctional immune responses to an immunity stimulating environmental agent is associated with both the occurrence & severity of ASD.

Vaccines: Provide acquired immunity to a particular disease by stimulating the body's immune system.

According to the CDC: Vaccines do not cause Autism.

Dr. Thompson: Is a Senior Scientist with the CDC, who co-authored articles regarding Vaccines & Autism. He has admitted to Congress that they omitted statistically significant findings because they were unfavorable.

Last edited by coschristi; 12-14-2017 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,540 posts, read 3,660,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I wonder what my friends are thinking as they both are sick and both got the shots. Something doesn't smell right to me. I think of myself FIRST and go from there. If everyone kept their immune system strong, no need for the great vaccines.
After you get a flu shot, it takes 2 weeks for it to fully protect your system. So there's a 2 week window in which you are still vulnerable to catching the flu. Also, it's pretty well known that the shots don't protect against all strains of the flu. So yes, it's possible to still get the flu (although less likely) if you've had a shot.

I still want to err on the side of caution and get a shot, not only to protect myself but hopefully protect others too. I know the shot is not 100% guaranteed to prevent the flu.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:20 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Autism: Is a pervasive developmental delay involving reciprocal social interaction skills, communication skills & the presence of stereotyped behavior, interests and activities.

Although there is no single genetic cause for ASD, there is evidence suggesting that the disorder is highly heritable.

Further data indicates that in addition to genetic predisposition, dysfunctional immune responses to an immunity stimulating environmental agent is associated with both the occurrence & severity of ASD.

Vaccines: Provide acquired immunity to a particular disease by stimulating the body's immune system.

Dr. Thompson: Is a Senior Scientist with the CDC, who co-authored articles regarding Vaccines & Autism. He has admitted to Congress that they omitted statistically significant findings because they were unfavorable.
Numerous studies have shown that vaccines do not cause autism.

"Senior Scientist" is the good Doctor (PhD in psychology) Thompson's job title. He shares that with many at the CDC. He never testified to Congress.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:54 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
After you get a flu shot, it takes 2 weeks for it to fully protect your system. So there's a 2 week window in which you are still vulnerable to catching the flu. Also, it's pretty well known that the shots don't protect against all strains of the flu. So yes, it's possible to still get the flu (although less likely) if you've had a shot.

I still want to err on the side of caution and get a shot, not only to protect myself but hopefully protect others too. I know the shot is not 100% guaranteed to prevent the flu.
I get it, Most are NOT concerned about shoot formeldyde and thermisil in one's body, and as we've said To Each Is Own.... excuse the spelling don't feel like correcting. Too too many unknowns about the drugs going into our bodies in my mind.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 PM

16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Quote:
I get it, Most are NOT concerned about shoot formeldyde and thermisil in one's body, and as we've said To Each Is Own.... excuse the spelling don't feel like correcting. Too too many unknowns about the drugs going into our bodies in my mind.
Myths debunked (note the source is peer reviewed research)

Setting the record straight: Debunking ALL the flu vaccine myths Red Wine & Apple Sauce

Quote:
Single dose-shots of the flu vaccine and the flu vaccine nasal sprays do not contain any mercury compounds. The multi-dose flu shot does contain a preservative called thimerosal, which breaks down into 49% ethylmercury and used to prevent bacterial contamination of the vaccine container.
So if you are really concerned about thimerosal, get the single dose shot.

Quote:
Formaldehyde is used in safely small amounts in several flu vaccines (Fluarix, FluLaval, Agriflu and Fluzone) to inactivate the virus so it cannot cause disease. It is not in other influenza vaccines (Afluria, FluMist and Fluvirin). Formaldehyde also occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables even is produced by the human body for a variety of functions, including making amino acids.
Quote:
For reference, a pear contains about 39 to 60 mg/kg of formaldehyde (1000g = 1mg, so pears contains approximately 39,000 to 60,000 g/kg.) A typical pear weighs about 220g, or 0.22 kg. That means a single pear would contain 0.22 times the 39 to 60 mg/kg, or 8.6 to 13.2 mg (8600 to 13200 g). (Meanwhile, a single dried shiitake mushroom contains 100-406 mg/kg of formaldehyde.)

Old 12-15-2017, 12:30 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,257,968 times
For those interested, here are some direct quotes from Dr. William Thompson:

Quote:
I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the journal Pediatrics. The omitted data suggested that African American males who received the MMR vaccine before age 36 months were at increased risk for autism. Decisions were made regarding which findings to report after the data were collected, and I believe that the final study protocol was not followed. I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits. ~ Dr. William Thompson
Quote:
The fact that we found a strong statistically significant finding among black males does not mean that there was a true association between the MMR vaccine and autism-like features in this subpopulation.
~ Dr. William Thompson
And from the the journal Translational Neurodegeneration who published an analysis the study:

Quote:
The Editor and Publisher regretfully retract the article as there were undeclared competing interests on the part of the author which compromised the peer review process. Furthermore, post-publication peer review raised concerns about the validity of the methods and statistical analysis, therefore the Editors no longer have confidence in the soundness of the findings.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 12-15-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
^^Here is another paragraph of Thompson's letter:
"I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits."
Statement of William W. Thompson, Ph.D., Regarding the 2004 Article Examining the Possibility of a Relationship Between MMR Vaccine and Autism - Vaxxed

ETA: Just to clarify-the Thompson article (actually Destephano article) was never retracted. Hooker's re-do of the statistics, which was a different article, was retracted.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14754936

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-15-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 PM

23,419 posts, read 28,272,492 times
Quote:
"Real" doctors are taught drugs and not nutrition in med schools for starters. And I'd bet the real doctors take supplements themselves. But they need us to be sick so we are their customers.

To each his own, I'll stick with my 25 yrs of supplements and no vaccines. And my 3 little meds.

Our food supplies are terrible...unless one grows their own foods, including meats.
"Real" doctors learn about nutrition as they study physiology and the treatment of various diseases. just because they do not take multiple courses labeled "nutrition" does not mean they do not learn it.

They also take supplements to treat documented deficiencies. I highly doubt they take the herbal "supps" you are so fond of, many of which do not even contain what the labels claim to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Suzy has made it clear that vaccines are an important part of her healthcare routine and that she has no interest in supplements for boosting one's immune system during flu season. I have made it clear that I choose to address health through lifestyle, including supplements and not vaccines. Her views are more in line with mainstream health and mine are more in line with alternative health. I don't see how acknowledging that we have different perspectives when it comes to health is accusatory in anyway. I have been respectful of her right to do what she feels best but I have not gotten the same respect in turn. If you feel like stirring then pot then so be it but I was not making accusations in my post that you chose to nitpick.
I have no interest in your supplements because I have seen no evidence that they do what you think they do.

I respect your right to make the choices you do. I have difficulty with your trying to convince other people to choose not to take the flu vaccine when you have provided no convincing evidence that the risk of the vaccine exceeds the benefit, even if this season turns out to be a mismatch with a lower than average effectiveness for the vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry but that's inaccurate.
I don't know about ALL science as that is pretty broad but here's one such example that is not in agreement with your statement. Vitamin D, C, A and Magnesium are a few that top the list in terms of deficiencies here in the US.
https://www.ewg.org/research/how-muc...s#.WjCG8oWcHIU

More on Vitamin D deficiency: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...united-states/

Some more info on using supplements for the flu backed by science:
https://universityhealthnews.com/dai...tific-studies/
Treating a vitamin or mineral deficiency is not the same as taking large doses of vitamins, minerals, or herbal products in the belief that they will prevent someone from catching influenza.

Someone who is not deficient will not benefit from taking extra vitamins and minerals.

Your last link is to a blog. I thought you rejected blogs as sources.

Wash your hands? Stay hydrated? Those are "alternative" medicine? I don't think so.

The most interesting thing in the link was the N-acetylcysteine. However the source was a small study in 1997. If it worked, it would be mainstream medicine now, not alternative. I cannot find any confirmatory human studies.

In fact, it apparently has not panned out., at least in mice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3104374/

There is also no evidence that N-acetylcysteine will "turbocharge" the immune system.

Oregano discussed by a pharmacist:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-of-oregano/

"Despite the hype, there is no persuasive evidence to demonstrate that oil of oregano does anything useful in or on our bodies. And while it is popular, there is no science to support the use of oil of oregano for any medical condition."

I can also find no human studies of olive leaf extract and influenza.

Note that most of the items on the list in your blog are symptomatic treatments, not prevention of influenza.

Quote:
Interesting and saw my neighbor who helps me out as she got to the market yesterday but was sick all last weekend with flu, and she and husband both both got the SHOTS. We'll never know if the flu would NOT have hit her if she had done no shot.
Taking the vaccine will not cause anyone to get the flu. The virus in the vaccine cannot replicate and cause an infection.

Quote:
I just saw my friend walking her dog and coughing and asked her how husband is and said sick as a dog...he got flu shot too....
Taking the vaccine will not cause anyone to get the flu. The virus in the vaccine cannot replicate and cause an infection.

We do not know whether either of your friends even has influenza or not.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 12-18-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM

23,419 posts, read 28,272,492 times
Quote:
I thought we agreed on this
I fail to see what point you think you are making. I was not the one you posted that in response to.

Quote:
So here is "the message" but using the words of:

Charity Onore,a,b Milo Careaga,a,b and Paul Ashwood,a,b. (non-conspiracy envisioners)

a. Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
b. The Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders (M.I.N.D) Institute, UC Davis Health System, Sacramento, CA, USA ...

"Even with the recent advancements in identifying candidate genes involved in ASD, all identified genetic risk factors combined account for only 1020% of the total ASD population. A number of these genetic risk factors can also be present in individuals without ASD, suggesting that many of these mutations may increase the risk of developing ASD, but additional risk factors are also necessary. "

... This accumulating evidence suggests that immune processes play a key role in the pathophysiology of ASD. This review will discuss the current state of our knowledge of immune dysfunction in ASD, how these findings may impact on underlying neuro-immune mechanisms and implicate potential areas where the manipulation of the immune response could have an impact on behavior and immunity in ASD."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3418145/

So basically: Genetic risk factors are NOT enough to cause the "regression to eventually happen". An additional risk factor is necessary. And they believe it involves the manipulation of the immune response.

How does vaccination work again? Oh ...
This recent study, using identical twins, found that autism is about 80 to 90% genetic. Full article is behind a pay wall.

Autism Is Mostly Genetic, Study Finds | Time

How do you account for autism in people who have never been vaccinated? If "manipulation of the immune response" causes autism, why don't infections that certainly "manipulate" the immune response cause autism?

The bottom line is that extensive evidence fails to show that vaccines cause autism.

Quote:
I wonder what my friends are thinking as they both are sick and both got the shots. Something doesn't smell right to me. I think of myself FIRST and go from there. If everyone kept their immune system strong, no need for the great vaccines.
The influenza vaccine cannot cause influenza infection. You do not even know whether your friends have influenza or not.

Quote:
Actually (per the bolded):

I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the Journal of Pediatrics.

You said: "He played a rather minor part"? He said he was a co-author.

You said: they trashed "meeting agendas"? He said it was statistically significant information.

And yes. I got that off the internet. Congress ... on the internet:
He was not a major author on the study he had a disagreement about. No, Thompson never said a word to Congress. Congress never asked him to.

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2016...ivaccine-spin/

Even Thompson admits the study data were retained in computer files:

"All the associated MMR-Autism Study computer files have been retained on the Immunization Safety Office computer servers since the inception of the study and they continue to reside there today."

The "documents" Thompson retrieved from the trash:

https://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/20...istle-to-blow/
Links to the actual documents at the end of the article.

Quote:

Any evidence of "dysfunctional immune responses to an immunity stimulating environmental agent" in autism would be at most a correlation. There is no evidence that it is causative.

Thompson's disagreement with his coauthors was over a finding that was evaluated and after adjustment for confounding was not found to be statistically significant. Thompson is the one who is wrong.

Those who believe that the vaccine caused autism in those African American boys have a problem. They have to explain how, if the vaccine caused autism, the boys were diagnosed with autism before they even got the vaccine. They also have to explain how only the African American boys got autism from the vaccine and not African American girls or white girls or boys.

The answer, of course, it that the vaccine did not cause them to have autism. Vaccines do not cause autism.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,027,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Numerous studies have shown that vaccines do not cause autism.

"Senior Scientist" is the good Doctor (PhD in psychology) Thompson's job title. He shares that with many at the CDC. He never testified to Congress.
CDC? If they would lie/omit certain information, what would keep them from lying about anything. Absolutely nothing! Whistleblower Claims CDC Covered Up Data Showing Vaccine-Autism Link | Time We all know the power of big pharma and some of us are intelligent enough to sort it out, while others prefer to have the information they get fed to them by the CDC. It is about choice.Moderator cut: delete
Again, the positive is that this information is getting out there and the majority of Americans are now rejecting the flu vaccine along with many other chemicals going into their bodies! The medical issues that will be created with the flu vaccine will assure the medical machine and big pharma a positive financial future. I won't be supporting it.

Quote:
If it requires some personal responsibility in a decision, most opt out, that is easier.

The CDC or any other corrupt agency can study it until they turn blue, but the real world stories, those not getting paid to promote big pharma is where I will choose to get my info.

I would certainly think I could choose not to get chemicals injected into my body. I don't understand why they whine about it anyway, if they want the vaccine and don't want to let their immune system react naturally, it is available to them. I know there argument is, "What about those with compromised immune systems?", and those people need to take personal responsibility for themselves in avoiding being exposed to the flu.

Personal responsibility and choice. Yep, that would take some thought and effort that most aren't up to.

Parents of children with special needs tend to be better educated and involved in the health of their children. 1/2 the kids with disabilities skipped their flu shots in 2013. "Better safe than sorry."

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-21-2017 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: deleted the "abortion " comment. It is off topic and may cause a hijack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children