U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:56 PM

23,395 posts, read 28,226,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
"Of the 45 flu-related deaths in San Diego County, only 12 people were vaccinated. The 1-year-old was partially vaccinated." per this article: https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...467921083.html 12 were vaccinated, of course, they said it wouldn't be very effective this time.

Also, San Diego County has the 4th largest homeless population, so "underlying" illnesses and compromised immune systems are probably more prevalent than in some other areas: San Diego County has fourth largest homeless population in US, report says | fox5sandiego.com

They attempt to scare people by quoting the death statistics, but more often than not, the person was on the brink of death and the flu put them there.

We really know nothing about the general health of this baby, or at least I could not find anything. Found it:

http://www.****.com/12-month-old-chi...l-rises-to-45/

Per that article:

"The baby, like all of the others who died from the flu this season and for whom information is available, had underlying medical conditions, according to county health officials."
Healthy people can and do die from influenza. However, the OP for this thread actually asked about vaccinating special needs children against influenza. Your last statement certainly supports doing so, does it not? Were any of the people who died actually known to be homeless?

People with underlying health conditions are not necessarily "on the brink of death". Do you have a source that supports your statement that "more often than not, the person was on the brink of death and the flu put them there"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, a young age is in itself a risk factor. But, in the article quoted, everyone had an underlying medical problem. Babies can die from a variety of issues, and without an autopsy, one would not know if they underlying medical problems.

Also, death by influenza is not a leading cause of death: http://www.who.int/gho/child_health/...health_004.jpg

I can't help wonder how many with compromised immune systems died because of the flu shot, so we'll continue to pass. A strong immune system is priceless, and we won't get it pumping in chemicals.

Sadly, no one can predict the harm these vaccines will do over time, and by the time they can, many will be suffering.
The article you cited is worldwide statistics, not US only. For 2014 influenza and pneumonia ranked number 8 in the US for all deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

For children:

Influenza-Associated Pediatric Deaths in the United States, 2004

Almost half the children who died had no underlying health problems. Over a third of the children who died did so before reaching a hospital.

People with compromised immune systems are at greater risk to die from flu. That is why flu vaccine is recommended for them.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/822896_1

Vaccines do not damage the immune system, whether that system is already compromised or not.

The risks of vaccines are well described, including flu vaccine. Severe adverse reactions are extremely rare, and the risks of morbidity and mortality from the diseases vaccines prevent is many orders of magnitude greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 PM

15,755 posts, read 14,989,976 times
Ana Oktay rushed to the hospital in late December struggling to breathe, with a 102-degree fever and a cough that wouldn’t let up.

​​​​​She expected doctors to tell her she had pneumonia or bronchitis.

“They were just like: ‘It’s just influenza A. It’s just what’s going around,’”...“I was flat on my back and in bed for 10 days,” said Oktay, who lives in Palms. “This has been hands down the worst flu I’ve ever dealt with.”

California hospitals face a 'war zone' of flu patients

Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 PM

597 posts, read 352,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ana Oktay rushed to the hospital in late December struggling to breathe, with a 102-degree fever and a cough that wouldn’t let up.

​​​​​She expected doctors to tell her she had pneumonia or bronchitis.

“They were just like: ‘It’s just influenza A. It’s just what’s going around,’”...“I was flat on my back and in bed for 10 days,” said Oktay, who lives in Palms. “This has been hands down the worst flu I’ve ever dealt with.”

California hospitals face a 'war zone' of flu patients
Without going through the whole thread, flu is apparently raging in the U.K. too and some of it is called Aussie flu, after one strain that apparently originated here last winter. It was a really bad winter here for flu and other viruses, I think the rate was about three times the norm. I was exhausted as in addition to my normal three days a fortnight childminding for my kids, I had to help cover extra days when their other babysitters were sick or the grandkids could not go to school or daycare, collect the youngest from daycare when he kept getting a temperature and the parents were in the city an hour away, help out when my kids themselves got sick and so on. Nursing homes went into lockdown much more than usual and even a local daycare centre had to be closed for a few days.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM

23,395 posts, read 28,226,906 times
The pediatric death count in the US is now 20 as of the week of January 6.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 PM

15,755 posts, read 14,989,976 times
It doesn't matter if you run marathons or play sports, when it comes to the flu, no one is completely immune.

The flu claimed the lives of Alyssa Alcaraz, 12, Nico Mallozzi, 10, and Alani Murrieta, 20, who were hospitalized and pronounced dead shortly after they were hospitalized.

As the nation continues to fight the illness, some families are sharing their stories in hopes of preventing others from facing similar tragedies.

Flu deaths prompt warnings from victims' families as outbreak continues:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...zrL?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 01-19-2018, 09:07 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
A young body-builder from Pittsburgh died too: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ad5dcabe175c

Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM

9,584 posts, read 5,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It doesn't matter if you run marathons or play sports, when it comes to the flu, no one is completely immune.

The flu claimed the lives of Alyssa Alcaraz, 12, Nico Mallozzi, 10, and Alani Murrieta, 20, who were hospitalized and pronounced dead shortly after they were hospitalized.

As the nation continues to fight the illness, some families are sharing their stories in hopes of preventing others from facing similar tragedies.

Flu deaths prompt warnings from victims' families as outbreak continues:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...zrL?li=BBnb7Kz
Not to be nit picky but I do find it strange that this thread is becoming a repository for flu deaths and I wonder why or how that relates to the topic. Just correcting one thing from this article. Alyssa Alcarez was misdiagnosed with having the flu. She actually had a strep blood infection and that is what she died from. She did not have the flu.
California girl, 12, dies from infection misdiagnosed as flu, family says | Fox News

Old 01-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not to be nit picky but I do find it strange that this thread is becoming a repository for flu deaths and I wonder why or how that relates to the topic. Just correcting one thing from this article. Alyssa Alcarez was misdiagnosed with having the flu. She actually had a strep blood infection and that is what she died from. She did not have the flu.
California girl, 12, dies from infection misdiagnosed as flu, family says | Fox News
Gee I wonder! A thread about flu shots for kids gets some posts about children dying from flu. Yes, Alyssa died from strep. There have been 30 confirmed pediatric deaths this season so far.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Old 01-19-2018, 12:46 PM

9,584 posts, read 5,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Gee I wonder! A thread about flu shots for kids gets some posts about children dying from flu. Yes, Alyssa died from strep. There have been 30 confirmed pediatric deaths this season so far.
Except we already know that people can die from flu. What purpose does making note of each death reported in the news serve to the topic at hand? Your addition wasn't even about a child but rather a young adult, so even more confusing as to the purpose of sharing it in this particular thread.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Except we already know that people can die from flu. What purpose does making note of each death reported in the news serve to the topic at hand? Your addition wasn't even about a child but rather a young adult, so even more confusing as to the purpose of sharing it in this particular thread.
How's this: There have been 30 pediatric deaths from flu so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children