U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:27 AM

306 posts, read 1,134,999 times

Advertisements

great wonderful ideas..

this has helped many get ideas thanks.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 AM

133 posts, read 547,589 times
I heard that this DVD is fun: "Lots and Lots of Trains" I've seen the television commercial on overnight television. Available online on ebay or from the publisher directly Marshall Publishing Find Lots and Lots of Trains, Fire Trucks, Penguins and more DVDs!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
Hi, im Hope Everhart, im 12 years old, i go to Callaway Middle School!! i LOVE helping out with special needed kids! They are the only people that cheer me up. i need to know what to get them for christmas! Can you help? i Hope You Too have a merry CHRISTMAS!!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
Confused, have you thought of cooking with him? Our son (17 w/aspergers) has motor skill issues and delayed processing and he latched on to cooking big time. I wish we'd started him way earlier since it's something that has a result that they can actually touch and taste and brings out the creative side.
For example bread making where they have to actually knead the bread helps the gross motor skills and cooking helps them towards being self sufficient when older and can give them an immediate sense of acomplishment when the family eats the creation.
He's been obsessed with Alton Brown on food tv and Paula Deen and he's now in chef school and doing ok.
It's something where you can be hearing impaired, just get a cooking timer with a loud buzzer so he can hear it.
merry xmas!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:22 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,642,494 times
My (step)son (10) loves Legos!!!! I had a large container from when my Son was littller. I recently gave them to the youngest boy and he absolutely LOVES it.... so much so, he hasn't missed his PS2 which DH pulled into the living room to play football on a month ago. Depending on his skill level, you can get simple or complex playsets. If he is very organized, I would get him a storage container so he can have a place for them. (step)Son loves the Mars Mission and Star Wars sets.... but there are many many many more sets.... pirates, dragons, cars, soccer, and that is just the couple I can come up with off the top of my head.

Also, if you want him to be more active.... (and this is an expensive gift) and he refuses to give up screen time, try a Wii. There are games that involve all the same actions as the actual event ( the sports pack that comes with the game, dance revolution, Wii fit & rockband(can get pretty expensive), even has a cooking game... where you have to go through the actions of stirring and measuring. We got the system this year for all the kids... but mostly for the oldest two.... there is a light saber duels game and they both love Star Wars.

Last edited by rockinmomma; 12-16-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: I can't spell worth a flip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children