U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM

2,983 posts, read 6,466,194 times

Advertisements

Our family has recently gotten into the hobby of Letterboxing. For those of you who don't know what it is it involves going to websites such as the North America Letterboxing website and finding where a secret box is hidden in your community. Other letterboxers hide a box with a homemade rubber stamp in a public place such as a park or playground. You find the box, use the stamp to stamp your own logbook and re-hide the box better than it was when you found it. You also use your own stamp to mark the logbook that is hidden wo that the original hiders know that others have discovered their box. My kids are delighted with this activity! We live in a pretty large city so they have been able to find several "treasures" not too far away. We are in the process of making our own stamp and planning where to hide it. We will then post our letterbox on the North American Letterboxing website and then check our box often to see who has found it! This is a great activity for a family with special needs kids as it doesn't involve a lot of skill and is a unique things for kids to talk about with other kids or adults. It gets you out of the house and best of all - aside from the initial purchase of a stamp and logbook, and the on-going gas, it's free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:40 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,745,139 times
We have been letterboxing a little over a year. My daughter, who has autism, LOVES to letterbox. My son, who is 5, thinks its the best hobby ever, lol. They love to be outdoors and letterboxing is a great way to get outdoors.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,400,880 times
We have all the stuff to do it, and the one time we went, the 'treasure' was gone...haven't gone back out, but I did just recently find the letterboxing stuff, we moved in September, and it surfaced!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,745,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
We have all the stuff to do it, and the one time we went, the 'treasure' was gone...haven't gone back out, but I did just recently find the letterboxing stuff, we moved in September, and it surfaced!
Unfortunately the boxes can disappear. Two boxes that my family planted this year have gone missing. So we replanted new ones in the same area, just in a different spot. Try it again, its alot of fun when you find them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children