U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

bls,
My son has Asperger's Syndrome. He wore diapers or pull ups til he was 5 yrs. old. He showed absolutely no interest in potty training. If I put underwear on him he would soil them. It didn't "click" for him until he started school. Peer modeling is huge with these kids, then he finally potty trained. He is 9 now & that is behind us, for the most part. Every now & then though if he "hyper-focuses" on something, he will still have an occasional accident. It's not too often though and never at school. He did bed wet up until a couple weeks ago. I took him to a new Dr. who put him on Desmopressin and that cured the bed wetting. Hope that helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,967 times
I have a 5 year old son, who was diagnose as a High Function Austim. The school he goes to got him use to the potty, he will sit on it. But that is about all. When he does #2. He comes to me and says " You stink, change my diaper". I change his diaper. He throws away his own diapers. I tried the pull ups. But it doesn't make a difference. Reading everyones comments, makes me feel like I am not alone with this. It gives me some ideas on how to get my son to use the bathroom.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,093 times
My son is on the severely affected end of the spectrum. Very little communication. He is 12 almost 13. We have been toilet training forever. We have dry days and a rare #2 on the toilet. Never child initiated, always scheduled times or small amount in the pants before the rest in the toilet. We also have days when the #2 is endless, he gets into it and makes the most disgusting messes. It only takes a minute, he is watched all the time, we even have a peep hole on his bedroom door. We have tried suppositories to get it all at once..doesn't work with him. We set a timer, have a DVD player to watch, books to look at etc., he can sit forever and ever and never go until you put the pull-up back on and before you can put away all the paraphenalia he's gone a bit and is smearing it.
I wonder if I just give it up and wave the white flag and find a good price on Depends or if someone has any kind of suggestion. At school his "shadows" say he will give subtle cues that he's going to go and they are very successful with dry days, not the #2 so much. I can't sit with him every minute of every day he is home, day after day, to pick up on these cues. They can because he is their only responsibility. I really am ready to just forget it and just change his pants when he smells or every 1 1/2 hours, whichever comes first. I can manage that as long as he stays out of the #2.Any suggestions??? Or just quit????

Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,967 times
Smile Potty training autisitc children

I have a 5 year old almost 6 year old son, who is Autistic. Over the summer I worked on potty training him. It was hard. But what I did was take my son to the store and had him pick out some cartoon underweat that he liked. I put them on him. I made a potty chart. On the first day of me doing this, I had to wait for him to have an accident. And from that point I knew I had to take him every hour to hour and a half. Alot of accidents later, and alot of carpet cleaner later. He is peeing in the potty, but not doing number 2 yet. He still wears a diaper at night. I have read that it could take to the age of 9 for an autistic child to be completely potty trained. It takes alot of patients. But once my son went number 1 in the potty, I was so happy. I did reward him everytime he went into the bathroom. I think that helped him alot. My sons school does great with him. He is finally going potty at school. I hope this helps. I read that you are in the springtown area. I am as well. I hope that your child has a great teacher that will understand, and be supportive.

Last edited by tx4202003; 02-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: missed something

Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,284,665 times
wow..the stories here are amazing!

My son (high functioning autistic), thank God, is potty trained now--he's 5. His grandpa took the helm w/ getting him potty trained when he was 3 and he finally got it once he turned 4. Like the technique others have mentioned here..that's what they did--straight to potty after every meal at first, they were strict about it with him till he got the hang of the routine. It was a hit and miss at first then he gradually learned.

The challenge with him now is he tends to hold it in till the last minute once he's out of his "comfort zone" -- away from home, at school, etc. We can tell he needs to go when he's dancing around even though he'll deny it, lol. Pfftt...we've had more than a couple of times of having to change him due to "accidents"--it's not unusual. I always put extra clothes in his backpack when he's away from me and with someone else. He also hates using public toilet due to the flush--the sound scares him. So he'd rather hold it than use 'em--it's a battle sometimes, lol. But he's doing good.

Like the other posters said, it will come in its own time with patiences and dilligent effort on you and your family's part. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,140 times
I guess this will not be and easy job. i (nana) have been just been putting him on the toilet every chance i get. will keep trying thats all you can do. my the good lord bless you all in your work with there loving children.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 AM

14,794 posts, read 15,262,535 times
For those with older children who are having difficulty, I really suggest getting the Australian PT video Tom's Toilet Triumph. Since many of our kids are visually oriented and learn well from video modeling, this animated video often works wonders. It was developed to potty train mentally disabled people of all ages.

They apparently have one for girls now also.

to get a copy you can write to: GPO Box 1707 Adelaide South Australia 5001 or telephone 132324 inside australia or +61884633500

Ah, finally got the actual website. This is the USA and Canada version. For Europe, the UK, Australia, NZ, you need the other format.

http://shop.service.sa.gov.au/site/p...roduct_id=5894

Postage will be expensive, but this dvd is worth its weight in gold, imo.

Dorothy

Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 AM

45 posts, read 105,554 times
Everyone told me DS1 would be easy to potty train. Boy were they wrong! He had no interest in it whatsoever and there was nothing he liked enough that I could use to motivate him. I would try, wait a few months, try again, wait a months, etc. Finally when he was 4, I found something that he could relate to - Disney's Tarzan movie. We played Tarzan a lot and I kept pointing out that Tarzan was wearing underwear, not diapers. I also kept a potty in the familyroom (the room we were in the most).
HTH!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:18 PM

302 posts, read 661,559 times
My sister is autistic and is seven and still has issues.

She was in the hospital a few weeks ago for constipation and it is an ongoing issue that seems never-ending.

I say good luck, but it might not happen any time soon.

My sister was potty-trained... but then she regressed.

She's on miralax now and it really is probably the biggest battle.

But her ABA therapists developed a 'Potty book' and they read it with her every single day.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM

155 posts, read 283,442 times
My 10 year Son has understood the concept since 4 and would always go when put on the toilet, but it just was not important for him. Just a few months ago, we started once again to try him in underwear and had full support from his school and many messes to clean up but he is now pull up free! I seemed like he just decided it was time. Compared to all the other hurdles, this is pretty minor but is truly a breakthrough for him as he likes being self sufficient. We are still working with him to go without our assistance, but he's almost there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children