U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,777,553 times

Advertisements

We pretty much gave up on potty training our son, and he eventually came around on his own. Making #2 was the big problem. He would hold it in all day at nursery school. Even at around age 6 when he was potty trained, he was still very anal retentive. We would go to the local swimming pool and after swimming around and relaxing his muscles, there would be a mad dash to the toilet to avoid an accident.

He's 20 now and is still known to stop up the toilet because his BMs are huge because he holds them in for days. Too much information, I know, but there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njb867 View Post
I have a 4 year old boy who will turn 5 June 29th. He has not yet been diagnosed with autism but the school has evaluated him with "autism like behaviors." He is very high functioning and very bright, but he refuses to do #2 in the toilet. #1 is no problem, but I am at my wits end. Any help will be appreciated.

I could say snap - my son is 3 will be 4 in August when he will start school (uk) he is about to be observed for autistic behaviors (as we have had some worries and we have it in the family so are watching out for it)...he does not care about being wet or dirty and sometimes will try to use a potty/toilet and other times will not be bothered.....his nursary has been very suportive - even non autistic children struggle with potty training I know but the pressure from other parents to sucseed before they start school it horrid ....lovelly to see such a large selection of supportive parents

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
I have twin boys that are about to turn 4. They are both struggling to potty train. One more than the other. Please keep sending advice. We are tryin diferent things. All of your advice is worth while.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM

35,296 posts, read 38,012,164 times
We do this a lot via my work...

There is no one approach, but this generic framework tends to be the most effective. It's basically shaping a new behavior, creating a new habit where one did not previously exist. You just tailor it to meet the needs in your situation:

-Provide consistently spaced opportunities for the behavior to occur. This may mean making regular potty trips to "try," at a consistent interval that works. If you're getting there too late, and an accident has already occurred, shorten your intervals, at least for the beginning.

-Reinforce the heck out of appropriate toileting when it occurs...make sure the reinforcement is specific to the behavior, that it ONLY is delivered when the behavior occurs and isn't accessible any other time, make sure that it's a highly, highly valued reinforcer...something that puts the kid in nirvana to receive, and in a worthwhile amount, and make sure that it is delivered IMMEDIATELY upon going in the toilet (i.e. keep it in the bathroom).

-Do not remark upon unsuccessful attempts or react in a way that is perceived as negative. Do not react at all, just start over.

-Repeat until the behavior becomes ingrained. Know that it could take way more time than you think. But done correctly, it will work. Bear in mind that new behavior can be incredibly time-consuming to teach. Not something you can do part-time. The expectations have to be consistent. That means that if you're on an every half-hour interval, if you take the child out in public, you STILL have to keep up the same interval, which isn't always easy. If the child is under the direction of somebody not-you, you have to make sure that they will consistently follow the same reinforcement schedule, or it'll get derailed.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Default potty training

i have a 4 years old boy who has autism trayed sevaral ways did not work with potty training any got sacetion

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
I have a 3 year old boy who the therapist said is on the spectrum. I work full time and so does my husband so he is in an in home daycare (cannot afford anything else.) He know what to do on the toilet but will not do it most of the time. the only preschool we can afford right now requires him to be fully trained. I am at my wits end, without the diagnosis from the doctor ( appointment in December is the earliest we could get) I cannot get any preschool help for him. The therapist want him around other kids asap. Any Suggestions.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 PM

15,064 posts, read 16,363,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizholmaz View Post
I have a 3 year old boy who the therapist said is on the spectrum. I work full time and so does my husband so he is in an in home daycare (cannot afford anything else.) He know what to do on the toilet but will not do it most of the time. the only preschool we can afford right now requires him to be fully trained. I am at my wits end, without the diagnosis from the doctor ( appointment in December is the earliest we could get) I cannot get any preschool help for him. The therapist want him around other kids asap. Any Suggestions.
Public school special needs classes are free and should be able to help you with potty training as well. Have you asked about an evaluation from your local public school? Once he has an IEP, they should offer him a preschool placement.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjmom View Post
I hear all of you - my 4 yr old autistic boy doesn't interest or bother him - except when people try to get him on the potty. It's fine for others, he think, but not for him. My 3 yr old autistic boy has no clue, pretty much like an infant in that regard.

Thanks for the website!
Hello, My name is Olivia and I also have a 4 year old son with autism. I was wondering how the potty training is going. I got to a point that I gave up, it was like you said it doesn't bother him at all... Was reading ideas in the internet and came across your msg. thank you

Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson007 View Post
With all due respect, I don't think this approach will work for most kids on the spectrum. My son is 5 and still not trained. I've heard different approaches from different people, it really is an individual thing, just as our children are each unique.

Here are some websites that may help:
[url=http://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/behavior/potty-training.htm]Potty Training Guidelines - Talk About Curing Autism (TACA)[/url]
[url=http://www0.epinions.com/content_4025262212]Potty Training Your Child on the Autism Spectrum - My Experience - How to Potty Train your Child - Epinions.com[/url]
[url=http://www.behavioradvisor.com/Autism&Toileting.html]Autism and Toileting[/url] (broken link) (scroll all the way down for very specific example of how one family went about this!)

It all depends on where your child is at. There are pre-requisite behaviors that need to be mastered before they are even ready to begin. We're working on those things now.

Best of luck!

Hello
My son is 4 and you are right they are unique in each way. thank you for sharing those websites, great help.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,112 times
Smile potty training autistic child

We heard about the tinkletoonz musical sensor a few weeks ago and started using them...they let us know exactly when he has wet his pants so we can get him to the toilet right away....no need to continuously check to see if he is wet.He is not potty trained yet,BUT,he is showing signs by sometimes going to the bathroom on his own......its definitely working. Obviously we can hardly wait for him to be toilet trained !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children