U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,066,073 times

Advertisements

I have ASD and I wasn't potty trained until I was 4. One day, my mom just had to take my diaper and say that I was done with it! Oh, boy did I throw a tantrum! Then I was visiting my grandparents later on, and I would not go in their toilet (I was used to a little potty under the apple tree in my backyard) and I held it in for 7 days and finally my mom just took me in the bathroom and said I would not leave the bathroom until I went to the bathroom. I yelled and pushed for 45 minutes!

Anyway, those are my potty training stories. Your 4 year old should be potty trained soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM

32,991 posts, read 34,691,455 times
Sp. Ed. teacher here who has done toilet training and other self-care routines with people with ASDs, up through teens who have never been successful with independent toileting. Not the most stimulating part of the job, but a basic necessity. It can take a really long time, and requires a huge amount of patience and consistency, far moreso than doing the same thing with neurotypically developing kids.

It won't work without consistency...that's really the bottom line. A rigid scheduling of using the bathroom, ("trying," on a strict schedule, whether or not urine or waste is expelled), always using principles of positive behavior reinforcment...earning highly desired things/activities/privileges only when desired behavior is displayed (you get access to [fill in the blank highly preferred and reinforcing thing] when your pants are clean and dry, and if they're not, you don't, no matter how big the tantrum, no exceptions, and we'll try again in a little bit], and absolute consistency...can't have different routines at home vs. at school vs. at grandma's vs. out in the community, etc., when this is in the hardcore training stages. Bear in mind that you are undoing a very established pattern of NOT using the toilet when needed, and that it could take a really long time and requires absolute vigilance. It's pretty exhausting, not gonna lie.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 AM

74 posts, read 214,841 times
Daniel tigers neighborhood "potty time" song. I sing it to my 4yo ASD, he's musically oriented. It reminds him the steps in going to the potty, but getting there as many have said has taken over a year of rigid behavioral structure of potty time and potty time rituals. He's getting there, slowly but surely.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 AM

12,253 posts, read 15,001,320 times
My son was fully potty trained by 3. But I know typical kids who still struggle. Every kid is different. My son didn't like to be wet so he was fairly easy. How we transitioned from peeing in clothes and changing vs peeing in the toilet was I parked the potty right in the middle of the living room and filled him up with juice while he was watching tv. Then when he peed we celebrated. Potty Party! Cookies! Clapping! After a while he started going on his own.

Just keep trying different methods till you find one that works

Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM

14,068 posts, read 13,083,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Sp. Ed. teacher here who has done toilet training and other self-care routines with people with ASDs, up through teens who have never been successful with independent toileting. Not the most stimulating part of the job, but a basic necessity. It can take a really long time, and requires a huge amount of patience and consistency, far moreso than doing the same thing with neurotypically developing kids.

It won't work without consistency...that's really the bottom line. A rigid scheduling of using the bathroom, ("trying," on a strict schedule, whether or not urine or waste is expelled), always using principles of positive behavior reinforcment...earning highly desired things/activities/privileges only when desired behavior is displayed (you get access to [fill in the blank highly preferred and reinforcing thing] when your pants are clean and dry, and if they're not, you don't, no matter how big the tantrum, no exceptions, and we'll try again in a little bit], and absolute consistency...can't have different routines at home vs. at school vs. at grandma's vs. out in the community, etc., when this is in the hardcore training stages. Bear in mind that you are undoing a very established pattern of NOT using the toilet when needed, and that it could take a really long time and requires absolute vigilance. It's pretty exhausting, not gonna lie.
Excellent post.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 128 times
Default about potty training

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson007 View Post
With all due respect, I don't think this approach will work for most kids on the spectrum. My son is 5 and still not trained. I've heard different approaches from different people, it really is an individual thing, just as our children are each unique.

Here are some websites that may help:
[url]http://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/behavior/potty-training.htm[/url]
[url=http://www0.epinions.com/content_4025262212]Epinions.com: Read expert reviews on Electronics, Cars, Books, Movies, Music and More.[/url]
[url=http://www.behavioradvisor.com/Autism&Toileting.html]Autism and Toileting[/url] (broken link) (scroll all the way down for very specific example of how one family went about this!)

It all depends on where your child is at. There are pre-requisite behaviors that need to be mastered before they are even ready to begin. We're working on those things now.

Best of luck!
we know he might have it, but he have not been test yet, but he did see a doc about it an they say he supected him of having it. he can tell when he go in his pullups, but he cant tell us when he have to go. do u have any tips that might be helpful to us.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM

14,794 posts, read 15,262,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntyofautisticboy89 View Post
we know he might have it, but he have not been test yet, but he did see a doc about it an they say he suspected him of having it. he can tell when he go in his pullups, but he cant tell us when he have to go. do u have any tips that might be helpful to us.
Get rid of pullups and use underware or have him go bare bottom. Pullups are too much like diapers and kids do not feel when they are wet. It really helps to go without bottoms if you can do it because then the child gets a sense of what it feels like just before they go.

Start with a schedule of taking him to the bathroom and praise when he does go. Start out with a short time between trying then increase.

Here is a technique that works for many autistic kids.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/healt...-training.aspx

Also there is a good dvd available from the Australian government that often helps because autistic kids are very visual and this shows pretty well what the child needs to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5RHQ58RcM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children