U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,034 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Los Angeles and I am looking for autism treatment for my 2-year-old son who was recently diagnosed with autism. I am so overwhelmed and I'm not sure where to begin. I have heard good things about ABA, but I want to know what other moms think. What do I look for in a therapist? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
If you find a good ABA therapist, s/he will be worth his or her weight in gold. Since you are in California, start at your regional center and see what they have available for you. Since he is 2, you have time to find a good provider and start up services with them. Look for VB-ABA or Natural Environment ABA rather than discrete trials especially at this young age. Therapists should do errorless learning, imo.

California Regional Centers | Autism Support Services

You may also want to look into RDI which is a therapy I like, but which most insurance does not seem to pay for.

Find a Consultant - RDIconnect

Linda Andron-Ostrow, LCSW
Focus on All-Child Therapies
1637 Malcolm Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone: 310.475.9620
Email: linda@factfamily.org

Janet Bowden, M.A., M.F.T.
3685 Motor Avenue, Suite 230
Los Angeles, CA 90034
Phone: 310.559.1071
Email: JanetLBowden@aol.com

Autism Treatment Los Angeles. Jackie Zaldua RDI Consultant - YouTube

Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM

95 posts, read 140,514 times
Great answer nana053. The regional centers in CA are great and can help you link up with all the services you will need. Find a good parent support group, it can be very helpful for your emotional and mental well being.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,034 times
Thank you nana053 and Norcalmom99 for the helpful information. I will look into RDI and parent support groups.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM

258 posts, read 347,821 times
I'm not a big fan of RDI. It doesn't have much evidence supporting it.

I definitely agree with nana as far as what to look for in a therapist. Verbal Behavior (VB) is quite useful and natural environment teaching definitely a better fit for younger children, in my experience, than discrete trials (which typically involves a child sitting at a table. 2 year olds don't sit for very long, and shouldn't be required to for long, IMO.) Errorless learning is also a good way to go (which means prompting a correct response and not giving the chance for the child to make an error) but may not be the best for every child or every skill for a particular child.

To add to those things, you want to look for a therapist who does a thorough assessment including communication, self help, daily living, and behavioral needs before designing their treatment plan. Part of this assessment in addition to standardized assessment protocols should include a good discussion with you on your childs strengths and weaknesses and what needs you feel are a priority. The ideal therapist will be able to target goals both to the childs developmental level and focus on skills that will make the most difference in the childs and your family's life.

Specifically with regards to ABA therapy, be wary of any therapist that just goes off of the standardized assessments and doesn't include your input on the treatment priorities. If you have something specific you would like to be worked on and they do not feel it is appropriate at that time, they should have a solid reason for not targeting it as well as a plan to add the goal in the future, such as if the skill has not been picked up naturally in X time it will be introduced or once Y prerequisite skill is learned we will target this. Goals should be up for discussion and not decided solely by the therapist.

~Katy

Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 PM

67 posts, read 360,994 times
I would examine this website as it looks at autism from a biochemical perspective. MitoMedical watch Dr Suzanne Gohs video in that website. Very insightful.

I believe in ABA therapy as well and you should look into early intervention within your school system as it usually is better to start therapies as early as possible. As early as 2 years old.

Consider recovery protocols as slices of pizza...each slice has an incremental benefit.

I found many parents removed casein, gluten from the kids diets as well.

Check out the yeast connection with autism too.

Search out a MAPS doctor in your area. Consider visiting them to gain knowledge. Or ARI

Best of luck.

I like mitospectra powder mixed in applesauce for young children and the research by doctor Richard Kelly for the past 15 years looks at L carnitine , vitamin b5, vitamin E, vitamin c, CoQ10 having a dramatic improvement on many autistic children. These are in doctor Kelly's increments in mitospectra powder.

I've also seen glutathione and oxytocin Basel spray for older kids have a positive impact.

I have my child with Dr Ken Bock and he has worked miracles with my son.

I've posted a lot of information for you to process so just save the post and google one at a time to digest the well meaning information over time.

Make your decisions and love your child.

Best wishes....and remember autism is an umbrella covering a wide spectrum of varied challenges.

Many go on to have wonderful productive lives.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 7,979 times
One of the best educational resources for your family would be through your state's Early Intervention Services. If he is two your son is eligible for free services through Early Intervention. At three his services will transfer to the school system, which may be more challenging. One of the greatest places to find information is through the free internet modules at AutismInternetModules.org. I have gone through them and they are excellent! They tell you everything about services, Autism and different therapies. Another place is the Autism Society. There will be a local chapter in your state.

Medically the new therapies are rather overwhelming. There is everything from dietary changes (The Gluten Free Casein Free Diet and The Specific Carbohydrate Diet), hyperbaric oxygen, IgE and IgG allergy testing, nasal oxytocin etc, etc. These depend on the medical concerns you have about your child, and personally I would be very cautious to try something that does not have scientific evidence. Talk to your doctor about any therapies you find that you may want to try. No one agrees how autism is caused in the brain and many therapies can do more harm than good. Use common sense and research anything you hear about. That being said Ken Siri and Tony Lyons wrote "Cutting Edge Therapies for Autism, 2010-2011" which have many of the same therapies offered today. Hope that helps? Let me know if I can help any more!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autism Advocate View Post
One of the best educational resources for your family would be through your state's Early Intervention Services. If he is two your son is eligible for free services through Early Intervention. At three his services will transfer to the school system, which may be more challenging. One of the greatest places to find information is through the free internet modules at AutismInternetModules.org. I have gone through them and they are excellent! They tell you everything about services, Autism and different therapies. Another place is the Autism Society. There will be a local chapter in your state.

Medically the new therapies are rather overwhelming. There is everything from dietary changes (The Gluten Free Casein Free Diet and The Specific Carbohydrate Diet), hyperbaric oxygen, IgE and IgG allergy testing, nasal oxytocin etc, etc. These depend on the medical concerns you have about your child, and personally I would be very cautious to try something that does not have scientific evidence. Talk to your doctor about any therapies you find that you may want to try. No one agrees how autism is caused in the brain and many therapies can do more harm than good. Use common sense and research anything you hear about. That being said Ken Siri and Tony Lyons wrote "Cutting Edge Therapies for Autism, 2010-2011" which have many of the same therapies offered today. Hope that helps? Let me know if I can help any more!
Or, instead of trying to "fix" the person, one can accept the person was "born this way" (to cop a turn of phrase from a popular source), and come to terms with the differences in the person's wiring. This is not to say that certain therapies should not be pursued in order to help the person make the most out of their wiring. And, if very young, certainly as new wiring grows in (which it will), it can be shaped. But - news flash - there is no surgery, diet, O2, etc - that can remove the existing wiring the person was born with.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:31 PM

36,606 posts, read 41,886,642 times
I'm very pro-ABA, which is not intended to "cure autism" or "change wiring," but, implemented correctly is incredibly effective for teaching safe replacements for maladaptive behavior.

That said, quality of ABA therapy varies quite wildly, as do the approaches various providers take. It will take some research and time to find what is right for your child and family.

Contrary to what some believe, you can accept your child for who he is (including accepting his neurological wiring), and still choose to implement therapies that make his life easier and safer for him and those around him.

(also, full disclosure, I am not a mom - not for another few months, anyway - but an educational professional and psych professional-in-training who has done a lot of work with families with children with autism).

Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM

36,606 posts, read 41,886,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If you find a good ABA therapist, s/he will be worth his or her weight in gold. Since you are in California, start at your regional center and see what they have available for you. Since he is 2, you have time to find a good provider and start up services with them. Look for VB-ABA or Natural Environment ABA rather than discrete trials especially at this young age. Therapists should do errorless learning, imo.
I also agree with the above points, particularly regarding natural environment teaching, errorless teaching, and avoiding an over-emphasis of discrete trial training. Not a huge fan of discrete trial, overall, here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children