Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,478,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I have taught many kids with ADHD and have never had them make loud noises to cope w/ sounds. seems there is something more-yet I have taught many kids where something isnt quite right, but there isnt an appropriate diagnosis.
My son has adhd and makes weird noises all of the time. It isn't to cope though, it's a manifestation of hyperactivity. It's extremely common. My son buzzes, hums, clicks etc. OP are you sure he's doing it to cope and not just using that as an excuse because he doesn't know why he does it?

You know what works for us? Chewing gum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM

534 posts, read 1,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
dock/oreo-

504 is not available in his school-only a version of IEP

We cannot afford anything for him right now.

I find this forum tends to be judgmental to those of us who rent/foodstamps/scholarshiped /not college etc. I should not have to tell you our combined income to prove that my little family is low income.

I am disabled so I SAHM. any pay income would affect my SSA. Plus it doesn't cover all my expenses as I see some Drs out of pocket-so I can't sacrifice my health problems for his right now.

But I certainly can get books from the library, research on internet and find exercises that will assist him. Right now his big problem is his noises.

As I initially posted, I need help with that problem. Not a diatribe about how I am Of Course completely wrong about his 3 doctor confirmed adhd tendency quitting my 6 sixfigure job and skip nitely outings to the steakhouse so I can properly take care of my sweet boy.
Wow. Did you really think I was being judgmental? My kid is ADD inattention type, has Executive Dysfunction, and has always had issues with loud noises. She didn't qualify for an IEP because I RETAUGHT her lessons EVERY SINGLE DAY from K-8. After I got home from work from my low-paying government job, we did homework, me and my sweet girl, for three hours every night. THEN I had to study for my classes. Because of my hard work with her, they said that there wasn't a big enough gap in her ability and what she was achieving. I also have a teaching credential. I know a bit about the process. She is doing great this year, her first year in college.

If you don't want advice, don't come to public forums. I NEVER said your doctors were WRONG - just that there might be more there. I taught plenty of ADHD kids and referred plenty to my school's Special Ed teacher for testing, and I was 100% spot on for learning disabilities. I would not consider what was said to you by anyone to be a diatribe. AND nothing mentioned about income. My family eats plenty of beans and rice and we don't eat out on our wages. I grew up very, very poor and don't look down on anyone low-income because I've been there and still feel two paychecks away from homelessness. Good grief. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder and an axe to grind. Good luck with your child.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,446,034 times
Quote:
My 8 yo was evaluated by his Ped. plus an OT. Both said he has "a tendency toward adhd". SPD and autism are ruled out.

I cannot afford any OT right now.

He is not severe enough to warrant an IEP.

HIs big problem: During the schoolday when the other 18 kids are making lots of different, variated noise he starts making a *very* loud trains sound-louder than the class noise-to cope with the class volume.
He is taken out of class once a week to work quietly in the counsellor's office but cannot be out more than one time a week.

And yes I've read the Out of Synch child plus several recommended Autism/Adhd tomes.
As my Ped/the OT confirmed, he has an ADHD tendency.

Please share with me any ADHD coping strategies/exercises for a child to work during large noise. Anyone with ASD/SPD/Bipolar comorbid with extreme noise sensitivity, your excellent experience and strategies are very welcome.

Thanks
I would listen to your pediatrician. You could look around and find someone who will drug your child and the drugs might take care of the behaviour but what is this child going to do someday in the work place if it's not very quiet?

He's only 8, and he can learn to cope and behave. It sounds like the kids are sitting there trying to out-noise each other. He's part of the noise. Otherwise find another school with smaller class sizes or homeschool. If you're a SAHM, homeschool would be a good option.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM

25 posts, read 71,320 times
u can request that he can be revaluated and ask to speak to a school psychologist and a parent advocate

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,420,284 times
Quote:
dock/oreo-

504 is not available in his school-only a version of IEP

We cannot afford anything for him right now.

I find this forum tends to be judgmental to those of us who rent/foodstamps/scholarshiped /not college etc. I should not have to tell you our combined income to prove that my little family is low income.

I am disabled so I SAHM. any pay income would affect my SSA. Plus it doesn't cover all my expenses as I see some Drs out of pocket-so I can't sacrifice my health problems for his right now.

But I certainly can get books from the library, research on internet and find exercises that will assist him. Right now his big problem is his noises.

As I initially posted, I need help with that problem. Not a diatribe about how I am Of Course completely wrong about his 3 doctor confirmed adhd tendency quitting my 6 sixfigure job and skip nitely outings to the steakhouse so I can properly take care of my sweet boy.

You mentioned ASD. Have you applied for the autism waiver services?

I agree with using noise-canceling headphones or earphones. I wonder if a "white noise" fan, placed near him, would work for him when he needs to work and instruction isn't happening?

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,420,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My son has adhd and makes weird noises all of the time. It isn't to cope though, it's a manifestation of hyperactivity. It's extremely common. My son buzzes, hums, clicks etc. OP are you sure he's doing it to cope and not just using that as an excuse because he doesn't know why he does it?

You know what works for us? Chewing gum.
Good tip. Even "fidgets" can work. It would be helpful to research some OT-related strategies for relaxation and increased focus. Being grounded and relaxed can help him to cope with distractions like classroom noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children