Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 PM

447 posts, read 740,393 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old going on 7. I have signed her up for a sport every season except summer time. She tells me she hates sports because there boring. She say she feels like I am forcing her to play sports. She is only in a rec league (not travel) for soccer. I mentioned basketball to her and she about flipped out on me, yet she plays it in the driveway with me all the time.

I explained to her that playing sports and trying new things is important. It is good exercise, builds self esteem, and encourages you to work in a team atmosphere.

As a parent I believe in pushing your kids to try new things. I feel that sometimes a kid does not know what they really want so I try to put them in new situations or to keep trying something so that they can become better at. They don't necessarily have to be the best, but need to understand that if you stick with something you can achieve greater results.

Am I being too pushy here?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,200,054 times
She needs to pick something to get into as it will greatly increase her odds of maintaining fitness habits into adulthood.

Why not let her pick one thing instead of shot-gunning activities?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,511,405 times
I was put into ballet lessons as a kid. I was about as co-ordinated as a cow. Then came the piano lessons... I hated practice. I'd have given ANYTHING for riding lessons but they weren't available when I was young.

Ask her about horseback riding lessons and I'll bet her eyes will light up and she'll give it a try. Just make sure you choose a reputable place that goes slow with beginners and has reliable horses and ponies. If they have an idoor arena, riding is something she can continue with all year round and the excersize and communicating with animals is HUGELY benificial. They use horses for all kinds of therapy.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 PM

The only reason we are shotgunning activities is because she has never really experienced some of these. When she was 4 years old she said she hates it, then the next day she loves it. Now she is almost 7 and I'm trying to figure out a better approach. Perhaps giving her some choice in the matter helps. I just spoke to her tonight and I promised her that we would take a break next month after soccer and that she could do anything that she wanted for that month. She seemed open to that. I really don't have an agenda here other than I don't want her to grow up aloof about everything in life.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:34 PM

18,340 posts, read 18,956,442 times
if your child is special needs you really should not be forcing her to do a sport she doesn't like. playing sports and aloofness has nothing to do with one another. if she understands how to be a decent person and is kind and happy that is really just about all that is important. many people have a great life and never play sports

Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 AM

Default MY apologies

I accidently posted this in the special needs section.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,913,563 times
If your kid likes playing in the driveway with you, but doesn't want to join a rec league, maybe you can find a physical activity that you can do together with her?

My family is in a tae kwon do class together - mom, dad, and both kids. The class is special needs inclusive. For my younger daughter with special needs, it helps her with life skills like learning to stand in line and wait her turn, follow directions, be quiet (relatively) and listen to the instructor, as well as helping her in motor areas of strength and coordination. For my older daughter, she is getting the typical benefits of martial arts instruction, and enjoys that. I'm hoping it helps her with better ability to focus too, as that is a bit of a struggle for her. My husband and I are learning too, and we are all spending time together doing a physical activity. The kids like that it is family time, and they like doing the class because they want to be like mom and dad, so we feel like it is good role modeling. Personally, I want my kids to get some physical activity, but it is not important to me that they play a "team sport".

Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
I accidently posted this in the special needs section.
You might want to contact someone about combining this with your other thread about this topic, to avoid confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.