Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,201,666 times

Advertisements

Do you use sign language as a back of means of communication with your son? If you do, you might look into signing time dvds or apps. They have a Potty Time one too. My son doesnt have Autism, but Down syndrome, but many of the behaviors are similar. He wore onesies over his diapers until he was at least 4-and before I had him and I'd see giant onesies in the stores, I wondered who one Earth would use them-then when I needed them, I had to get them online. ANyhow, we had many messes where he'd take off dirty diapers and make huge messes. He finally stopped that at maybe about age 3 or 4, but still needed to keep on onesies to keep from stripping. We put him on the potty every hour from the time he was 3. It wasnt until he was 6 (about 6 months ago) that he FINALLY made a poop on the potty. I'm sure it was by accident,but we made a big deal out of it and put big boy undies on him (checked with his teacher first and she was fine with it). he did really well IF we put him on the potty. It took another couple months before he didnt have any accidents. I didn't think we'd see the day where we no longer needed diapers!! He even would tell us this summer at the pool when he had to go!
A lack of communication can cause a lot of behavioral issues, so I fully endorse using basic signs as a means of communication. Without it, wed be lost because his language skills are so delayed and we can't afford speech therapy and the lousy sessions at school arent enough to do anything.
If he becomes fixted on objects-that is normal. try to find things he can hold and occupy himself with-sometimes it just a fidget type toy, like a koosh ball or stretchy toy, sometimes it's something musical. An IPAD is an amazing device that has helped our son in so many ways. It allows us to be in public when we otherwise couldnt.
I don't know what kind of situation you live in right now where people don't speak English, but that has to make it harder. We have never received any type of support services, but I know some places do provide services-even after a long wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,307 times
I am a mom of a ten year old who still works on his potty training, and by that I mean getting him to go number-two in the toilet. We finally got him to urinate on the potty and happy to say we are finally removing his night time pulls-up. I can tell you that the best thing you can do right now is to work on his potty training right now! I won't be easy but if your child by any chance does not like sitting on the toilet, well lets just say that right now he is not strong enough to fight you back,sit him there with a toy or show him videos of potty training or just his fav shows. At the beginning you will be washing lots of shorts and pants. Try to use pants easy to pull down, with a waist band and no buttons or zippers for now, so you can do hand over hand pulling them up and down if he does not do it on his own.At the beginning I did not put underware on him and succesfully added it later.To start don't beat yourself up and take him every two hours , eventually every hour, then you will learn his pace and see if you need to take him every 40-30 minutes. He will only need that short pace until he learns to hold it.As for the rest I really encourage you to look for support , joining and online support group, going to the local support parents group is a great idea you may be surprised by parents who speak English as their second tongue. As for finding a pre-school I hope you can find one where they won't mind taking him to the potty and changing his clothes, but if you don't just do it the rest of the day for now. It's important that you are ok for your kids. Sorry for the long post!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM

813 posts, read 1,266,525 times
Just another thought on this...

Many children with Autism have sensory issues. Wearing clothes to your kiddo may feel like a million bee stings to him.

My son had many issues like this, and one of the things that worked with clothing was to put him in soft fabrics, no tags, and using detergent that had no perfumes or dyes.

Another thing that helped A LOT was dry skin brushing. Sensory Diet: Autism Brushing Protocol Example

I have been down the road you're on. It does get better...

Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM

641 posts, read 239,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My son is almost 4 and diagnosed.

Please, I need advice on how to cope from parents whose kids are older. I don't speak the local language (can't go to any support groups), he's getting worse by the week, we are on an insanely long waitlist (18-24 months), have just begged an in-law for $3k for some private therapy which he is providing, but it's still several weeks away. How do you cope?

He speaks broken words (about 18 months level), lost ability to potty train (it wasn't great to start with), won't wear diapers/pullups, plays with poo when it happens, screams and tantrums all day long, fixated on objects. And to top it off, I have a 1 year old who just observes it all bless him, he is such a patient baby.

Yes we're planning on moving back to an English-speaking location, just waiting for a job transfer. I'm calling around preschools tomorrow to see if they will take him a few days a week, I really need a break.

I just finished reading "Why I Jump" by 13 year old Naoki Higashida, who has autism. This opened my eyes!!! If you can find it in your language I highly recommend it. This is the first time we hear the voice of a child w/autism brought to light on the pages. Through the use of an alphabet grid he was able to get his story understood, as his ability to speak what he wanted to say was limited.

I hope everyone who has someone with autism in their life will read this amazing boy's story. Good luck, and please know you are not alone.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 13,970 times
Hi,
I have twins with fairly severe autism. Much lower-funcitoning than your son, although pretty mellow. A couple of companies you might find helpful are superundies.com (cloth pull-ups with water resistant outer layer) and littlekeepersleeper.com, which are back-zip pajamas. Both of these companies go up to pretty large sizes.
My sons learned a lot of language from the Signing Time series of DVD's. There are some good apps for the IPad which you can customize with photos to help him make requests. I think if you googled AAC apps.
Things that helped my sons calm down are a mini-trampoline, a swing hanging in the doorway (Southpaw Enterprises website), bean bag chairs to roll around in, and lots of squishy sensory type toys.
Not to overwhelm you... that's just off the top of my head. I get a lot of my support from Facebook groups. Best wishes!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,999,085 times
I don't have kids with autism but am very very well informed about what you have on your plate. I used to be a service coordinator for birth to 3 kids in AZ and know how important it is that you have relief for this situation. You are mom but you do not have to be full time caregiver. You need and deserve a break, not just once in a while, but as often as you feel the need. Do finances allow you to hire a part time respite provider? Or a part time nanny with appropriate experience? Your mental health is just as important as the health of your child. This is the issue you ought to concentrate on right now. Best of luck to you with this challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children