Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,209,795 times

Advertisements

My son is almost 4 and diagnosed.

Please, I need advice on how to cope from parents whose kids are older. I don't speak the local language (can't go to any support groups), he's getting worse by the week, we are on an insanely long waitlist (18-24 months), have just begged an in-law for $3k for some private therapy which he is providing, but it's still several weeks away. How do you cope?

He speaks broken words (about 18 months level), lost ability to potty train (it wasn't great to start with), won't wear diapers/pullups, plays with poo when it happens, screams and tantrums all day long, fixated on objects. And to top it off, I have a 1 year old who just observes it all bless him, he is such a patient baby.

Yes we're planning on moving back to an English-speaking location, just waiting for a job transfer. I'm calling around preschools tomorrow to see if they will take him a few days a week, I really need a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,762,600 times
Try taking pictures of items he might want and see if you can get him to use the pictures to exchange for the object he wants. Communication is key here and since he cannot really speak, pictures can really help.

Note: You can try to do the PECS system by yourself, but you will probably need help to implement it. With my grandson, we used real pictures of things like his bottle (he was only 18 months), his pacifier, various favorite toys, etc.). We laminated the pictures and put them on the refrigerator with magnets so he could go get a picture and give it to us and then we could get him the object. It took time to train him, but it was worth it.

Here is a good explanation of how to do PECS
What is the Picture Exchange Communication System or PECS?

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
You could start your own autism support group for English speakers via meetup group at meetup.com .

Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,963,132 times
Sometimes children won't wear diapers because of the texture. Try different brands of disposables or try very soft cloth diapers. Also try a large size onsie (with snaps or buttons on the bottom) so he can't take them off. I don't know where they found them but I have had students as old as six years old who wore onsies (so that they couldn't take off their diapers).

Good luck

Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Sometimes children won't wear diapers because of the texture. Try different brands of disposables or try very soft cloth diapers. Also try a large size onsie (with snaps or buttons on the bottom) so he can't take them off. I don't know where they found them but I have had students as old as six years old who wore onsies (so that they couldn't take off their diapers).

Good luck
Amazon.com: Toddler Sleeveless Onesie Bodysuit 4T, 5T, 6T: Clothing

Special Needs Clothing

Onesie Style Bodysuit for Children

Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,963,132 times
Thank you for the links. This will be very helpful to many parents.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,209,795 times
Thank you very much for the support and links.

Does anyone know a good way to encourage him to wear something though? I tried a diaper and a pullup and he just yells no baby no here you go!! (and gives it to the baby), he pulls them off right away but he won't go to the toilet either.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
What does he like? Anything that's particularly reinforcing to him? Make his access to it contingent upon keeping his pants on.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Also, you can try telling him that he does not have to wear the diaper or pullups *if* he goes to the toilet.

And if he doesn't know how to go on the toilet, you can try this video from Australia. It has been used to toilet train both children and adults with special needs. If you cannot get it pm me. It appears to be on back order atm.

http://shop.service.sa.gov.au/site/p...fm&mode=search

Are you Ready? DVD
This DVD is currently unavailable as it is being updated. Please call 13 23 24 or email glo@sa.gov.au if you wish to be placed on backorder for this product.

This DVD includes the popular animation 'Tom's Toilet Triumph' and an 'Are You Ready?' short film for parents/carers. A frank and humorous look at what happens in 'the smallest room', 'Tom's Toilet Triumph' is suitable for all ages. The short film discusses issues faced by parents/carers when toilet training an older child.

Oooh, it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg0Cz...yer_detailpage

Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 AM

6,293 posts, read 10,534,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Thank you very much for the support and links.

Does anyone know a good way to encourage him to wear something though? I tried a diaper and a pullup and he just yells no baby no here you go!! (and gives it to the baby), he pulls them off right away but he won't go to the toilet either.
Try training pants. They worked for my son.

training pants

with these over them to prevent a mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children