U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2007, 08:00 PM

386 posts, read 1,276,498 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the benefits or negatives of having a child classified as Learning Disabled?
Both my daughters are AD/HD. I never considered them learning disabled and would not allow them to be classified as such. They faced certain challenges outside of the norm, I didn't consider them disabled in anyway.
My step-granddaughter has just been diagnosed as AD/HD and her mother can't wait to get her into a LD program.
Just curious how others have handled this and how things worked out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,266,668 times
I think if your daughters were in need of any type of LD program you would know it already, you would of noticed serious problems already and would not have felt any need to even ask this question.

If your daughters are performing well in school and not having any problems I would leave things just the way they are.

Best of luck to you

Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 293,905 times
i would think that such a label would promote low self esteem.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,266,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
I'm not sure about this.

My son, who is mentally challenged and has a pretty severe speech problem has very high self-esteem. I wonder where he got it from sometimes, but I sure am glad he has it!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 PM

268 posts, read 660,397 times
Well, it depends on if the ruling fits. Some kids with ADD are LD and some are not. Some people assume that just because a child gets an LD ruling they can receive a disability check. This is not true.
If the child has a genuine learning disability, then the school needs to evaluate. However, ADD does not automatically mean that a child will have trouble learning in school.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM

268 posts, read 660,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
Not necessarily. My son is gifted and has an IEP (EMD ruling) and he knows that he has these things. He doesn't seem any more down on himself now than before he had the paperwork.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 PM

i should have said it could promote low esteem in "some" children. i think it also depends on the age. i think pre-teens and teens may not care for such a label as opposed to a five year old who doesnt really understand. i just dont think any type of label that is normally deemed negatively is good for a kid's psyche. it seems to sink in deep and remain forever. i am happy that any of your kids have great self esteem though. it is so important.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
I think if your daughters were in need of any type of LD program you would know it already, you would of noticed serious problems already and would not have felt any need to even ask this question.

If your daughters are performing well in school and not having any problems I would leave things just the way they are.

Best of luck to you
My daughter's are in college now so hopefully I have made it through the toughest learning years
The oldest is heavy towards the Attention Deficit and still struggles and gets lost. The younger is way towards the Hyperactive side and has been able to gain more control and does pretty well as long as all the energy stays channeled.
My concern is based on my granddaughter and if it is best to put her in LD classes. She is bright girl and I don't see her having problems with learning so I question how being "LD" will benefit her.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
Some people assume that just because a child gets an LD ruling they can receive a disability check. This is not true.
You can get a check?? Ahhhhh.....that may explain things. When we were discussing the situation I expressed surprise at the choice to go with the LD designation. I got a very terse reply that they paid their taxes and were entitled to the benefits. See how naive I am? I had no idea
I can only hope I am wrong

Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
You can get a check?? Ahhhhh.....that may explain things. When we were discussing the situation I expressed surprise at the choice to go with the LD designation. I got a very terse reply that they paid their taxes and were entitled to the benefits. See how naive I am? I had no idea
I can only hope I am wrong
maybe the school also receives more $ for each ld child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children