Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:11 PM

630 posts, read 1,710,688 times

Advertisements

My son who has ADHD was on Concerta for several years. As his dosage was increased for affect his tics would increase. We took him off for the summer and have not put him back on. He is causing problems at school so we are looking at putting him back on something. As he has already been having issues at his school with annoying kids with his tic (throat clearing/grunting). The dr was open to other meds like Aderall. Can anyone give me their experience with any ADHD meds and how well they worked? Increased tics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM

813 posts, read 1,264,937 times
My son had an increase of tics. We use Vitamin B-12 (Methyl)... put a nugget under the tongue. With that, he takes DMG. Tics are gone, and attention went WAY UP. More than it ever did with Adderall or Strattera.

Good luck! It is so hard to find a good combo! :-)

Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
My son had an increase of tics. We use Vitamin B-12 (Methyl)... put a nugget under the tongue. With that, he takes DMG. Tics are gone, and attention went WAY UP. More than it ever did with Adderall or Strattera.

Good luck! It is so hard to find a good combo! :-)
Thanks for the input! Is the B-12 nugget a prescription? What is DMG? He does have a problem with attention but his main issue is impulsiveness.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,715,102 times
Might consider trying Focalin. It's the active half of Ritalin. Tend to get all the efficacy, with fewer side effects.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,477,236 times
Our son is back on Tenex after a tic explosion in the last 6wks or so. Right now we are medicating for the tics not the adhd and the Tenex (guanfacine) seems to help. It also calms him down a bit, his issues have always been hyperactivity and impulsiveness, not attention problems.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,312,198 times
My son is on Focalin XR. I like it because it doesn't have to build up; he doesn't take it on days off from school.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Might consider trying Focalin. It's the active half of Ritalin. Tend to get all the efficacy, with fewer side effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
My son is on Focalin XR. I like it because it doesn't have to build up; he doesn't take it on days off from school.

Yikes..the reviews for Focalin are scary. I don't want to trade one set of problems for another like hallucinations and suicidal thoughts. Also a lot of folks said it worked great initially but then lost its effectiveness.

This is so stressful. I wonder if something more in the line of anti depression meds like Wellbutrin or Celexa would help chill him out and calm down his angry/defiant outbursts and disrespectfulness to his teachers and classmates? His new DR said no but I've read that it can.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,356,216 times
We have tried a slew of medications- ritalin made DD hyper sensitive to everything. Then adderral was good but short acting. DD was on Adderall XR (extended release) for 2 years with great results in impulses and attention but she raged (was always always angry and yelling), and then we added intuniv for mood. They did nothing as a combo so back to Adderall XR. Then we took her off stimulants altogether and put her on Strattera. Now she is having depressed/anxious thoughts so the dr added intuniv again. I'm about go back to a stimluant if we can't get the depression back on track. She has never been depressed. I have heard great results with Dexedrine (short acting) so we would try that next.

I know my post sounds scary but I'm not trying to scare you. I have been told left and right that it is more an art than science finding what works for YOUR child, so just keep trying til you find the right med/dose.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,419,131 times
Strattera works pretty well for my son, who couldn't handle stimulants. I think you are on the right track for considering Wellbutrin or Celexa, if it is in addition to an ADHD med, for the irritability. It can take the edge off. Is the new doc a psychiatrist?

Depending on the severity of outbursts/irritability (and even the hyperactivity), Risperdal or Abilify can help. But the listed possible side effects would probably scare you about as much as those for Focalin.

Have you tried Vyvanse? This can cause tics as well, but it was popular a few years back.

Last edited by bowian; 11-13-2013 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM

813 posts, read 1,264,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Thanks for the input! Is the B-12 nugget a prescription? What is DMG? He does have a problem with attention but his main issue is impulsiveness.
You can do a google search about DMG. You don't need a script for either one, but we do work with a naturopath for dosing. I get both on iHerb.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children